The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Trivia

Shutter Island - The quote "Remember us, for we too have lived, loved and laughed", seen on a plaque on the way to the mental institution, is taken from Medfield's Vine Lake Cemetery. A contest was held to come up with a quote to be used on a stone marker as a remembrance of those who died in the 1918 influenza epidemic known as the Spanish flu.
The Raid 2 - All the punches and kicks to the body of the actors were real. Iko Uwais and the other fighters had to learn how to control their speed and strength so that it would look real on the camera.

Shutter Island was my #11
One of maybe three DiCaprio movies I can actually watch.

1: Bloody well better had do
2: Bloody well better had do
3: 100%
4: Bloody well better had do
5: 100%
6: 100%
7: 100%
8: 100%
9: 100%
10: 100%
11: Shutter Island (2010) - 76th
12: 100%
13: Hopefully
14: Hopefully
15: Hopefully
16: Deadpool (2016) - 85th
17: Maybe
18: Probably
19: Probably
20: Avengers: Endgame (2019) - 79th
21: The Martian (2015) - 82nd

22: 100%
23: 100%
24: Maybe
25: Probably not

Haven't seen either. Guess today's the day for Shutter Island. Love Scorsese, even though I usually have at least one criticism for his fiction movies, save The Departed.

MoFo Reviewers

Shutter Island

Having known all the twists and turns before hand, I was able to enjoy Shelter Island the way the unfamiliar will only get on a second or third viewing, so while I can't say exactly how successfully it shades its secrets if you knew nothing other than the title, deconstructing it with foreknowledge it does adhere to an internal logic and plays fair, in that sense, while mischievously and stylishly keeping just about every clue to the truth in plain sight. The actors are uniformly good, and for me as someone who didn't really have much use for the young Leonardo he has certainly hit his stride in these four collaborations so far with Scorsese (Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed). DiCaprio's work is the lynchpin of the entire movie, and if it has any kind of emotional pay-off it isn't because of the expertly imagined shadowy suspense sequences and oozing style, it is just about all due to Leo, especially in the final reel as the various "truths" are brought to full light.
Read the full review here.

The Raid 2

Since the backbone of the movie is the action, the backstory of Rama is still narrow and build on the bare necessities of emotional involvement. But nevertheless, I thought it worked well as a subtle glimpse into the personal life of our protagonist, coming off as an anti-close up investment from our side, almost like we are the fly on the wall in the midst of wonder, love, sadness and tragedy… It is slight but sufficient and I thought it gave just enough estimated emotion to energize the character and create a spark in our minds as well. The overall plot progression contains a decent dose of family troubles – both blood and gang related – as well as revenge, backstabbing and actual stabbing as well, obviously. There is especially two people who stand out for their obvious though intended outrageousness (just look at their credited character name), who you definitely don’t want to run into at night. One gives the term “hammer time” a bad rep and the other is someone you definitely don’t want to go to first base with… well, even for his reputation you kind of didn’t want to in the first place either, but whatever…
Read the full review here.

Shutter Island is a film that I’ve seen many times. Its Caligari-esque plot is not exactly ground breaking but it’s so well constructed that I’m totally engaged with it anyway - helped immensely by an impressive cast. If I were to construct my own top 100 of the decade, I would definitely include it, but it did not get my vote here.

I haven’t seen Raid 2 and after watching the first one I don’t think I will change that.

Seen: 13/26
My Ballot:
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
20. Jojo Rabbit (2019) (#89)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My most recent review for Shutter Island:

Shutter Island (Martin Scorsese, 2010)
(Rewatch)

It's been quite a long time since I last watched this movie and I'm really not sure why. It's packed with a great cast and very strong performances and is absolutely dripping with atmosphere and dread. I'll admit that the movie is over long and drags a bit and the major plot twist is neither especially original nor all that subtle, but even having seen this before, I was still gripped throughout.

Not a big favorite nor a lock for my ballot, but also not out of the running.

Haven't seen Shutter Island in years, but I remember it pretty good, albeit rather predictable.

I tried watching The Raid 2 some time ago, but I gave up after about an hour as its plot was too convoluted for me to keep up with it. I might go back to it someday though. The prison fight was really cool though, for what it's worth.

You know what alot of people said about The King's Speech not staying with them...well same for me but with Shutter Island. I watched it, it was OK, then I promptly forgot about it.

Shutter Island was really good both times I watched it but it doesn’t stick with me at all. I will definitely watch it again, multiple times probably. Be surprised if it’s ever a favorite or one that would be on any type of favorite lists.

Knew Raid 2 was coming once Raid showed up. We will see if checking off the whole list ever means enough for me to watch them. Probably will eventually, but I’m definitely not in the mood at the moment. My second miss.

Shutter Island is a solid psychological thriller that I keep forgetting was directed by Scorsese…it’s a movie I tend to forget about in general really.

Raid 2 was on my list. A movie that improves on the original by not just amping up the fight scenes but actually adding more story and characters so it all works to make a more complete experience. Epic is a word that’s thrown around liberally but I’d say The Raid 2 is a great example of an epic action movie in the sense of scale and scope.

The Raid 2 is an incredible action movie and sequel. I'm not surprised it's this far ahead of its predecessor. It's close, but I still prefer the first one and I think it comes down to novelty. Again, I love how it uses the one-location, "ascend the staircase" story structure. Plus, it has Mad Dog. You gotta love Mad Dog.

Both decent but neither Shutter Island nor The Raid 2 were that close to making my ballot. I'm somewhat surprised the latter isn't a fair bit higher but personally I much prefer the first one.

Seen: 21/26 (Own: 14/26)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

The Raid 2 is the first one from my list.

I had it at #25 but only because I stupidly thought it wouldn’t make the countdown and perhaps not even get voted for. And well… there’s also many great movies I probably had to put above it. Maybe it could’ve been slightly higher on my list.

But no matter what, it’s one of the best action movies of all time imo. The first one is great as well, but I feel like the scope, scale and ambition just rises even higher with the second one. It’s such a thrilling, well directed marital arts actioner.

If you don’t like martial arts and fighting you won’t like it, but if you appreciate the art and skill that goes into it, then you should appreciate it.

Glad to see it here and surprisingly higher than the first. That’s cool.

My room mate is a fan of Spring Breakers, but I haven't seen it myself.

I have however seen the other three films revealed since my last post. I like Colin Firth, so The King's Speech was a nice, easy watch for me. I don't think there's anything particularly special about it, but I wouldn't complain about watching it again if I had to.

I don't have much to say about Shutter Island. I didn't have any interest in watching it when it was new, but I later caught it on the Movie Network when there was nothing else on. All I really remember is that I didn't particularly like it.

As for The Raid 2... the movie is just way too long. It is unnecessarily bloated, and there are large parts of the film that seemingly only exist to show off the actors' martial arts. Yayan Ruhian in particular returns as a different character from the one he played in The Raid, and his inclusion is entirely pointless. However with that said, if his part has been cut we would've been robbed of an impressive single shot fight sequence, so I'm not complaining too hard about it haha.

The Raid 2 has a much cleaner visual style, and a wider colour palette than the first film had. If The Raid had looked like The Raid 2 does, it would've been a 5/5 film for me. Despite my issues with the sequel's runtime, and the fact that the action really does start to feel exhausting this time around, I still really enjoy the film overall, and I even had it at #10 on my list. It's probably one of the best action sequels out there.

Seen: 17/26

My List: 5
03. The Raid (2011) - #100
10. The Raid 2 (2014) - #75
14. The Martian (2015) - #82
15. Hereditary (2018) - #96
20. Cabin in the Woods (2011) -#88

If you don’t like martial arts and fighting you won’t like it, but if you appreciate the art and skill that goes into it, then you should appreciate it..
So, what if you do but two hours of it is a bit much. That rhetorical. I had some buddies that loved this kind of stuff. I can appreciate the skill and creativity of guys like Bruce, Jackie, and Jet. That skill and creativity can’t sustain me for a whole movie though, never really has. For me it’s like when you go to an amusement park and see a cool show, they are usually like ten minutes. They start, and I’m like this is really cool. Then after five minutes I’m packing up before it’s over.

Victim of The Night
Shutter Island, which I liked well enough, is a weird one for me.
I saw the trailer the first time and said,
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
"Oh, it's him and the whole movie is gonna be this construct around him coming to terms with the fact that he's an inmate at the asylum... Gee, I hope that wasn't actually the twist for the end of the movie."

And I also said, "Why is Scorsese even making this movie, doesn't seem like it would be worth his time."
When I finally just decided to watch it for the "Well, a thriller directed by Scorsese might be good enough for a rainy Sunday and let's see if I was right all along", I found myself mostly enjoying it even though, yes, it was the utterly obvious thing from the very first scene. I could understand why Scorsese is, at the very least, an incredible pro, someone who can actually elevate a script that is no better than and in fact much more obvious than Session 9. Even if his love-affair with totally unnecessary CGI in his dotage has really hurt the look of his films (Why are we green-screening a random forest? Is it that freaking hard to just take a camera into the woods so everything doesn't look so fake? Or is this supposed to be some sort of choice to make the world look fake because of the plot-thingy?).
Anyway, I would call this a slightly below-average psychological thriller script that gets a big, big boost from an All-Pro director and cast inexplicably deciding to do it.

Seems like it's been 25 years since I've seen Shutter Island. My wife and I were both looking forward to it and neither one of us liked it.

The Raid 2, a great action film just like the first one.

This is a boring pair. Anyway...

Happy New Year Mofo Countdowners!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I never saw either Raid film despite of all the rantings and ravings about how great they were when they came out.

Shutter Island is in the category of, "yeah, I guess, maybe one day I'll watch it. I get the sense that it's very predictable. It'll be competently crafted, because, you know, Scorsese, but the idea isn't really exciting me."

I guess that's the problem with a lot of the well known movies from the decade showing up on the list (so far)... if I haven't seen them, it probably wasn't because I haven't had the opportunity to catch up with them.

ETA: the one exception I can think of is The Wind Rises, if it ever shows up. That's one I meant to watch, but for some reason, I never did.