Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

[Glass Onion]I agree, it wasn't as good as the first one. The whole setting and vibe of the first movie was superior imo.
I agree with you. I started to do a review, but bailed. There was not all that much wrong with the film, but the production seemed to be too in love with itself.

Part of my disfavor towards the picture is that the Agatha Christie type story with an embellished drawing room approach to a whodunit has become long in the tooth. After one has seen dozens of tales with that approach they've become rather stale-- even one with all the pyrotechnics and spectacular settings.

Craig has better polished his accent, but that whole business surrounding Hugh Grant's cameo wasn't funny, and fell flat. It stuck out like a sore thumb, and was basically confusing. Perhaps they had to interject a little W/SJ to satisfy Hollywood's current social fashion.

I'm a fan of Norton's and Craig's, but their work was not enough to satisfy me in this picture. I hope they don't produce another "Knives Out" followup, but if they make enough money I'm sure they'll fire up another one.

Well.
I just enjoyed the hell outta this. One of my favorite watches of the year, possibly No.1.
I had seen one scene of this before and liked the cut of its jib but just never felt like it was the right time to watch it. Then a friend said, "Hey, why don't you hang around and smoke this joint and watch Rockers with me?" And I said, "Ok."

]
Haha, yes! I saw this one earlier this year when it was part of Criterion’s reggae collection. This movie is a bop, has a fun indie energy that’s just infectious.

Victim of The Night
Haha, yes! I saw this one earlier this year when it was part of Criterion’s reggae collection. This movie is a bop, has a fun indie energy that’s just infectious.
Exactly. Fun indie energy that's just infectious. Exactly.

I forgot the opening line.

By The cover art can be obtained from Amazon.com or Ninjin Club., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=32124277

The Human Condition II: Road to Eternity - (1959)

The searing and monumental story of Kaji (Tatsuya Nakadai) continues here, in a place where the humanist and logically-minded man fits in the least - the Japanese armed forces. Enlisted as punishment for his failures in managing labor forces, he often finds himself at odds with his superiors and fellow recruits. He clings to the army rules and regulations at times when hazing and violent bullying are an everyday occurrence. Here we find Obara (Kunie Tanaka) driven to an act of desperation, and the troops Kaji trains and protects from the longer-serving recruits who resent them and usually beat them. To do all of this Kaji himself attracts a lot of attention and a lot of punishment. He grasps for something noble, even during situations where there are no noble and fair answers. He'll lose what's left of his innocence on the front lines, in this film where one part elevates the other and gives it even richer meaning. At 206 minutes and 178 minutes, I'm surprised both epic films were released the same year - but then again, like with War and Peace, it's all playing at as the one film.

9.5/10

FTFY.

Watch the rest of the trilogy ASAP. It's 10/10 easily when gauged together as one work of art.

Funny I just watched a Kobayashi film myself. Beautiful Days.
I'm already getting that feeling after the first two films that they compliment and elevate each other, and that taken together I'm probably eventually going to be rating The Human Condition complete 10/10

By http://www.impawards.com/1986/aliens_ver1_xlg.html WebArchive Archive, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=897538

Aliens - (1986)

I've seen this a hundred times, but I have to admit that as far as science fiction/action spectacle goes, Aliens is made by a cinematic maestro. Not in the same category as Alien, but all the same it's a landmark for 80s action and probably defines the decade as far as high profile/blockbuster filmmaking is concerned. There's a memorable moment every minute, the creatures are first-rate and the editing (nominated for an Oscar) perfect. The film was nominated for 7 all-up, including Sigourney Weaver for best actress. It has a one-dimensional villain, but when everything is working and the film so exciting we can overlook that with ease. There were far better intellectually-minded films released in '86, but no better film of this sort.

8.5/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Chinatown (1974)

Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown...

WARNING: spoilers below
In the 1970's, in the midst of the New Hollywood movement that redefined American film as we knew it, something interesting began happening; Noir, which had mostly seemed like a relic of the Classical era beforehand, suddenly began being revitalized with fresh updates of the then-dusty genre, whether it be the cynical sexuality of Alan J. Pakula's Klute, or the satire of genre conventions in Robert Altman's The Long Goodbye. However, while it had plenty of competion at the time, for me, there's one clear-cut winner among all the Neo-Noirs that Hollywood produced that decade, one that wasn't content to just be Noir-ISH, or to parody the genre, but instead, both unbashedly engaged in the familiar old tropes of the genre, while also deconstructing them at the same time, resulting in one of the greatest Noirs of all time, of any period in the genre's history. That movie? The one, the only... Chinatown.

It tells the story of Jakes Gittes, a small-time private eye, one who's content to crack petty adultery cases for a living in 1930's LA, until what seems to be just another case of a cheating spouse unravels into a tangled web of conspiracy, deceit, and murder, and will lead him into the darkest corners of both the city of angels, and the human soul as well. And, while its multi-layered central mystery (courtesy of Robert Towne’s Oscar-winning, clockwork-precise screenplay) is a clear call-back to the often-Byzantine plots of classical Noir, instead of just being surface-level busywork, Chinatown’s intricate, conspiratorial plot is just as compelling and well-written as the best of the genre, never becoming overly convoluted just for the sake of it, but slowly, steadily unravelling its mystery step by tantalizing step, maintaining a very well-justified confidence in its storytelling all the way until the (very) bitter end.

But, the film not only serves as a genuinely affectionate love letter to Noir this way, but also subverts the elements that defined the genre at the same time with its characterizations, as it takes the two most iconic archetypes of Noir, and seems to establish textbook examples of both with its male & female leads, before turning both of them completely and utterly around on their heads by the end. With Faye Dunaway's Evelyn Mulwray, the combo of her initially cold demeanor and genre conventions cleverly manipulate us into thinking that’s just another spin on the treacherous, homocidal femme fatale at first, but a number of shocking story turns reveal that she's completely innocent of the crimes she’s suspected of, rendering her a highly sympathetic figure, and taking an extremely familiar stock character and breathing all-new life into her in the process.

And with Jack Nicholson's Jake Gittes, we get a protagonist who first appears to be just another vintage, hard-boiled private eye, the wisecracking type who never truly loses his cool no matter how much hot water he’s in, only for him to be put through a complete emotional wringer, both falling in love, and losing that love in the span of just a few days, as he forms a romance that's unusually genuine by typical Noir standards, even though it ultimately proves to be a doomed one in the end. Through it all, Nicholson puts in an excellent performance in the kind of role he was born to play, as the world's biggest smartass, a man who can both insult people just as casually as he breathes air (even through his sliced-up snhnoz), while also showcasing an underlying emotional vunerablility throughout, one that surfaces more and more as his character unravels right along with the central mystery.

Finally, Chinatown excels through its overall sense of fatalism, as the specters of dark pasts and the foreshadowing of even darker futures constantly loom over its characters, as Towne uses the titular location as a sort of metaphorical, unescapable purgatory, one that dooms Jake to relive a cycle of tragedy he's experienced before, even though he does eventually unravel that central conspiracy that drives Chinatown’s story. However, it’s ultimately all for naught, as he's completely powerless to either put a stop to the resource-hoarding conspiracy, or even just to save the life of the woman he loves, as his seemingly hard-boiled exterior finally cracks for good at the end, and all an emotionally-devastated Jake can do at the end is walk away as the bad guy actually "gets away with it", as the haunting, trumpet-laden score plays, and the credits begin to roll for one of film Noir’s greatest works. "Forget it Jake", indeed...

Final Score: 10

Not any sort of refutation, more just an amusing footnote, but Roger Ebert actually thought Rocky II was better than Rocky. I do like the film a good bit and always thought it was much better than its apparent reputation, but it's hard to get over the joys of the OG.
I can see why someone would think that and I give the original
too but it's been ages since I watched it so that's from my vague memory.

They've all been on ITV so I've got the fifth film then Rocky Balbao already recorded ready to watch. Then I'll get to the two Creed films which I've heard are good. Thanks guys.

The Amityville Horror, 1979

George (James Brolin) and Kathy (Margot Kidder) move into a new house with Kathy's three children. But soon after their arrival, strange things begin to happen. Unbeknownst to the family, the house was the site of a terrible family murder. As George becomes more and more susceptible to the weird energies of the house, will history repeat itself?

After more than a decade of hearing about how underwhelming this movie is and about how the only scary thing about it is Brolin swanning around in a pair of underpants and a shirt, I ended up liking this one a bit more than I expected to. Oh, don't get me wrong, it's decidedly a step below being good. But I did find a few moments here or there that were pleasant surprises.

I did like some of the initial things that happened in the movie. I think that with haunted house type stories, the events have to be creepy, but not so much that the people would immediately pack up and bolt. This includes things like strange swarms of flies appearing in the house. I also liked a sequence where a young babysitter gets trapped in a closet and can't get out, while the young daughter simply ignores her cries for help. The babysitter's hands are bloodied from pounding on the door, and I liked how in the background as George and Kathy are arguing about it you can see a bloody smear on the inside of the closet door.

But from there, eh. There are a lot of aspects to the film that just don't really go anywhere. A priest and nun who visit the house become strangely ill, and the priest almost dies in a freak car accident. So the house is . . . telekinetic? A friend of George's who is sort of psychic talks about the house having been home to some sort of satanic worship and trapped spirits. So the house is . . . haunted by the spirits of those people? Also there's a well that is a portal to hell? Or something?

It's also really hard to watch Kathy enduring increasing abuse at George's hands, including him hitting her full in the face. I mean, I'm not saying that it's unrealistic, per se. We see that Kathy can be timid, as when she tries to find the priest who has gone because of his affliction.

There are also some side characters that seem like they should be more involved, but just aren't. This is especially true of a priest played by Don Stroud. He's kind of shown as this young, hunky modern priest. You'd think that he'd maybe develop a relationship of some kind with Kathy or at least doggedly pursue what's happening in the house. Nope.

It's all just very . . . okay. The actors are fine, but no one really rises above in my opinion.

Victim of The Night
Chinatown (1974)

WARNING: spoilers below
In the 1970's, in the midst of the New Hollywood movement that redefined American film as we knew it, something interesting began happening; Noir, which had mostly seemed like a relic of the Classical era beforehand, suddenly began being revitalized with fresh updates of the then-dusty genre, whether it be the cynical sexuality of Alan J. Pakula's Klute, or the satire of genre conventions in Robert Altman's The Long Goodbye. However, while it had plenty of competion at the time, for me, there's one clear-cut winner among all the Neo-Noirs that Hollywood produced that decade, one that wasn't content to just be Noir-ISH, or to parody the genre, but instead, both unbashedly engaged in the familiar old tropes of the genre, while also deconstructing them at the same time, resulting in one of the greatest Noirs of all time, of any period in the genre's history. That movie? The one, the only... Chinatown.

It tells the story of Jakes Gittes, a small-time private eye, one who's content to crack petty adultery cases for a living in 1930's LA, until what seems to be just another case of a cheating spouse unravels into a tangled web of conspiracy, deceit, and murder, and will lead him into the darkest corners of both the city of angels, and the human soul as well. And, while its multi-layered central mystery (courtesy of Robert Towne’s Oscar-winning, clockwork-precise screenplay) is a clear call-back to the often-Byzantine plots of classical Noir, instead of just being surface-level busywork, Chinatown’s intricate, conspiratorial plot is just as compelling and well-written as the best of the genre, never becoming overly convoluted just for the sake of it, but slowly, steadily unravelling its mystery step by tantalizing step, maintaining a very well-justified confidence in its storytelling all the way until the (very) bitter end.

But, the film not only serves as a genuinely affectionate love letter to Noir this way, but also subverts the elements that defined the genre at the same time with its characterizations, as it takes the two most iconic archetypes of Noir, and seems to establish textbook examples of both with its male & female leads, before turning both of them completely and utterly around on their heads by the end. With Faye Dunaway's Evelyn Mulwray, the combo of her initially cold demeanor and genre conventions cleverly manipulate us into thinking that’s just another spin on the treacherous, homocidal femme fatale at first, but a number of shocking story turns reveal that she's completely innocent of the crimes she’s suspected of, rendering her a highly sympathetic figure, and taking an extremely familiar stock character and breathing all-new life into her in the process.

And with Jack Nicholson's Jake Gittes, we get a protagonist who first appears to be just another vintage, hard-boiled private eye, the wisecracking type who never truly loses his cool no matter how much hot water he’s in, only for him to be put through a complete emotional wringer, both falling in love, and losing that love in the span of just a few days, as he forms a romance that's unusually genuine by typical Noir standards, even though it ultimately proves to be a doomed one in the end. Through it all, Nicholson puts in an excellent performance in the kind of role he was born to play, as the world's biggest smartass, a man who can both insult people just as casually as he breathes air (even through his sliced-up snhnoz), while also showcasing an underlying emotional vunerablility throughout, one that surfaces more and more as his character unravels right along with the central mystery.

Finally, Chinatown excels through its overall sense of fatalism, as the specters of dark pasts and the foreshadowing of even darker futures constantly loom over its characters, as Towne uses the titular location as a sort of metaphorical, unescapable purgatory, one that dooms Jake to relive a cycle of tragedy he's experienced before, even though he does eventually unravel that central conspiracy that drives Chinatown’s story. However, it’s ultimately all for naught, as he's completely powerless to either put a stop to the resource-hoarding conspiracy, or even just to save the life of the woman he loves, as his seemingly hard-boiled exterior finally cracks for good at the end, and all an emotionally-devastated Jake can do at the end is walk away as the bad guy actually "gets away with it", as the haunting, trumpet-laden score plays, and the credits begin to roll for one of film Noir’s greatest works. "Forget it Jake", indeed...

To me, Chinatown is Hollywood apologizing for changing the plot of The Big Sleep.
And I accept.

But from there, eh. There are a lot of aspects to the film that just don't really go anywhere. A priest and nun who visit the house become strangely ill, and the priest almost dies in a freak car accident. So the house is . . . telekinetic? A friend of George's who is sort of psychic talks about the house having been home to some sort of satanic worship and trapped spirits. So the house is . . . haunted by the spirits of those people? Also there's a well that is a portal to hell? Or something?

This isn't an appeal to make anyone consider the movies as being good (it isn't...but it's also not bad) but it is all of these narrative dead ends that, for me, make the film almost one of the better representations of the modern ghost story. And by this I mean, the general bullshit of the modern ghost story where every little peculiar thing that happens in a families life somehow has to be woven into the fabric of their belief the house is haunted. Flies in the house? Ghosts! Someone almost gets into a car accident? Ghosts! A priest goes blind? Ghosts!

Coming from a family who thinks every house they ever lived in is haunted, I can attest that this is how every thing that happens to them is framed. Everything is proof of superstitious going ons. When it is all really just a way to find the drudgery of their lives seem a little more entertaining and mythical than it really is.

As a child I loved this movie. Along with Bugsy Malone and DePalma's The Fury, it is the first movie I ever saw in a theater. And so it held a lofty status for years. Until my brain adjusted and I saw it for the shell of a story that it really was. But, still, their is some value in its hucksterisms. And, as you mentioned, there are legitimately decent moments in the film. That almost feel like they are from a real ghost story.

Out of Sight (1998)

I'm a passive Soderbergh fan I suppose, but I always love seeing Clooney's beautiful face haha

This is my first time seeing this movie, and I imagine this movie was all the rage in 1998, but it looked markedly old to me. All of the cast members were outstanding though. The plot was fine overall, but a few spots here and there didn't seem to nail the tone for me (some scenes more serious while others more comical).

Victim of The Night
Out of Sight (1998)

I'm a passive Soderbergh fan I suppose, but I always love seeing Clooney's beautiful face haha

This is my first time seeing this movie, and I imagine this movie was all the rage in 1998, but it looked markedly old to me. All of the cast members were outstanding though. The plot was fine overall, but a few spots here and there didn't seem to nail the tone for me (some scenes more serious while others more comical).
I haven't seen it in a while but that was my No.1 of that year. Still would probably be one of my low-key favorites. I love both Don Cheadle and Albert Brooks in that one.

I was ready to trash the movie, few action scenes, a lot of talking, somewhat slow pace... but the third act kinda redeemed the whole thing, it was very good.

I was like

But, still, their is some value in its hucksterisms. And, as you mentioned, there are legitimately decent moments in the film. That almost feel like they are from a real ghost story.
Right. I think that the frustration I feel with it is that it's neither a low-key, realistic portrayal of a haunting, nor is it an all-out haunting. The weird low-key stuff is great: the girl and her invisible friend, the babysitter getting trapped in the closet.

Chinatown (1974)

Very nice review, and I agree with your rating. IMO Chinatown was, and is, the best neo-noir. I enjoyed The Two Jakes as well, but it didn't have the punch of the first one.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, 1970

Sam (Tony Musante) is an American writer living in Italy with his girlfriend, Julia (Suzy Kendall). One night while out walking, Sam witnesses the attempted murder of a woman named Monica (Eva Renzi) by a mysterious figure in black. Monica survives, but Sam becomes aware of a series of killings of women taking place in the city. Working alongside a police detective named Morosini (Enrico Maria Salerno), Sam becomes determined to identify the killer.

Sometimes a really excellent scene can bless a film with good vibes, and that was definitely the case for me with this one. Yes, there is some silliness that ensues (some intentional, some not), but the opening sequence was incredibly thrilling and it put me in a good mood that endured for the rest of the film.

Walking along the street, Sam catches sight of two figures struggling at the top of a staircase. Seeing what he sees, the camera dips back so that the figures are out of sight, then forward again to get a better look. As Sam draws close, Monica is stabbed in the stomach. Trying to help her, Sam goes through a set of glass doors, only for the killer to close another set behind him. Trapped between the two sections of glass, Sam can only watch powerlessly as Monica slowly drags herself along the floor, reaching her bloodied hand out for help that he cannot give. The scene stretches on and on. Sam is finally able to attract the attention of a man who calls the police, but we can feel the time and the feeling of impotence as he watches a woman dying in front of him.

Nothing else in the film is as good as this opening, but the rest is perfectly serviceable. The killer is fond of taunting the police---and later Sam--with phone calls. Sam must track down several leads, including a strange painting connected to one of the victims and interviewing a pimp who was a suspect in one of the killings. Musante makes for a good lead, and the rapport between Sam and Julia adds some fun to the film.

We only really see one murder, with the rest of the thrills coming from different attacks on Sam himself and against Julia. At the same time, I enjoyed the repeated flashbacks to the original attack, as Sam tries to figure out what he noticed that just wasn't right.

It's definitely hard to take some of the police technology with a straight face. While it might have been era-appropriate, many of the science elements just feel a little silly. A lot of it feels made up (like using an oscilloscope to tell if two voices came from the same person) and it's hard to take it seriously.

Overall a solid thriller with some good twists right up until the last few minutes.