The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Contextually, I actually don't know which of the two series you're responding to.
Breaking Bad, baby.

The truth is in here
I didn’t find it offensive the way I did Roberto Benigni’s Life is Beautiful.
Why did you find that one offensive? Sure it's even more comedic in tone than Jojo Rabbit, but it shows the dark and horrible reality of the Holocaust all the same.
WARNING: spoilers below
And Guido letting Giosué's last memory of him be of laughter instead of tears is not only to make his son feel better, but to feel more at peace himself knowing that he made him smile again, even as he knows what is going to happen. It's one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful endings of all time.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I haven't seen Jojo Rabbit yet, but in reading through this thread, I think I remember seeing a preview of it, so it looks well worth a watch. On a side note, it's been 19 or 20 years since I'e watched Life is Beautiful and I remember liking it quite a bit and not being whatsoever offended by it, so given that, I imagine I would possibly enjoy Jojo Rabbit.

I do see A Separation is on Criterion Online, so I may give that a watch.

*Side note - if anyone sees any of these films streaming anywhere on the major services (Criterion, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, MUBI, etc), can we post it?

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

It's due for a rewatch, but somehow going in, knowing that they had a shitty plan for that scene (one benefit for hearing reviews first, I guess), somehow made it seem like it wasn't as big of a deal for me (and I knew it was coming). I think by the time I finally saw it, I had heard that there were some scenes where the logic of the appearance of the entity doesn't really make sense, so I guess I went in with that knowledge baked in. Expectations and all.

WARNING: "The Pool Scene" spoilers below
One read of the pool scene that's being brought up here that I had never considered (and still don't) is that they actually killed the entity and a different one is what followed them later. I always just took it as the manifestation of the existential crisis of life. i.e. The slow creeping of death coming towards you. So everything they do may be able to slow it down, but it'll never be able to stop it. Granted, I don't think anything in that read will change your opinion of your objections.
That is more or less the reading I got from it. One of Jay's friends is even reading from Dostoevsky's "The Idiot" a part that reads:

"But the most terrible agony may not be in the wounds themselves, but in knowing for certain that within an hour, then within ten minutes, then within half a minute, now at this very instant... your soul will leave your body, and you will no longer be a person, and that is certain; The worst thing is that it is certain."

Hadn't seen Jojo Rabbit.

A Separation was my #23. Supposedly a story about an Iranian couple wanting to separate (she wants a better life for herself and their teen daughter while he wants to stay in Iran to take care of his dad), but can't because an Iranian judge said no. But this is merely the beginning of a story dealing with strained relationships, Alzheimer's, pregnancy, traditional vs modern households, and even Sharia law. Your feelings on this family and a second family that gets involved when she gets hired as a part time caretaker change several times in the course of the film. It definitely gives you some food for thought by the end.

My List:
4. World of Tomorrow
23. A Separation
25. The Retrieval

88. Cabin in the Woods
87. The Artist
These were my first two thoughts as well.
I can't come up with an alternative to #88, so all I've got is
87. Berberian Sound Studio

Or Hugo. What decade was Hugo?
Still sticking with BSS.

88. Cabin in the Woods
87. The Artist
Dammit! Beat me to Cabin in the Woods

87, Hugo?

F**k!! Now, Ash beat me

Huh. I'm actually seeing the cabin in the woods poster in the far left. I may spend the night trying to think up another crazy left field guess on it not being too obvious.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw A Separation several years ago for a HoF, and I liked it, but it didn't make my list.

I watched Jojo Rabbit for this countdown, but I almost turned it off early in the movie (at the scene with the rabbit), but I didn't give up on it at that point, and I finished the movie. (But truth be told, I left the room for a couple of minutes because I was afraid to see what happened to the rabbit.) The movie didn't make my list, but I'm glad I watched it because I ended up liking the movie.

a separation is probably farhadi's best and pretty close to a masterpiece for me. i have it at #48 on my personal list.

i have pretty mixed feelings on the politics of jojo rabbit but mostly find it pretty fun.
criticker

As already mentioned, the actual poster for Cabin in the Woods is on the left, so I don't think #88 would be that obvious. Not sure what else it could be though. Maybe You're Next or Ready or Not?

87 is One Cut of the Dead.
That was my first thought, since the original title is Don't Stop the Camera, but I'm probably just thinking about it because I saw the French remake last week so it's pretty fresh in my mind.