Opinions on BFI 2022 Sight and Sound Poll

Tools    

Céline and Julie Go Boating worth a watch? never heard of that one
I'm a fan, so I would recommend it. If you're into Godard and Lynch, it might be up your alley.

Maybe it was my mood, but I struggled with it.

I usually have no problem with a movie confusing me, and ****ing around with my perception of what I'm actually watching, but its strangeness just alienated me. Not even really sure why.

Maybe it was my mood, but I struggled with it.

I usually have no problem with a movie confusing me, and ****ing around with my perception of what I'm actually watching, but its strangeness just alienated me. Not even really sure why.
I have a friend whose opinions of film I respect who regards it as their favorite film. Like you, I really just could not connect with it. Likewise the one other Rivette film I've seen. I could not tell you if it just happened to be the state of mind I was in or not.

The enforcement of the female director policy is quite laughable because while I agree that Jeanne Dielman and Daisies are masterpieces and deserve a spot (whether as high is up to debate), the inclusion of Portrait of a Lady on Fire at #30 is quite laughable. Wanda at #48 is fishy though. I haven't seen that one, though (one of three I haven't seen from the entire list).

I'll have to read more about voting and the rules involved. Still, I find this particular part amusing:

I'm surprised there are no programming tutorials high on the list.

But yeah, all in all, it's a pretty good list.
Fishy at 48 or fishy for being in the top 100?
I'm glad to see it in the top 100. I feel like it's somewhat high, especially since A Woman Under the Influence (or any Cassavetes) isn't on the list.
Granted, in terms of where they ended up landing for placement, there's probably a number of films I have to scratch my head over on them.

Glad to see L'Atalante is still hanging in.
Actually, give me your take on the appeal of this one. Because years back when I was addressing some of my Sight & Sound blindspots with the last list, I think this was on the only high ranking one I came across that I just did not understand why it was there. i.e. I didn't sense any hooks, angles, emotional resonances as to why it would put its claws into people's mental spaces where when it came time to say ten movies they love, its name would come to their lips.

Actually, give me your take on the appeal of this one. Because years back when I was addressing some of my Sight & Sound blindspots with the last list, I think this was on the only high ranking one I came across that I just did not understand why it was there. i.e. I didn't sense any hooks, angles, emotional resonances as to why it would put its claws into people's mental spaces where when it came time to say ten movies they love, its name would come to their lips.

It is a movie that feels like it is being dreamed up by the director from one scene to the next. It is kind of formless and it doesn't really have a hook. It just drifts along the river. And while this isn't really that remarkable a thing with modern films, there are a billion movies that do this both intentionally and unintentionally these days, its lightness of touch, and fluid soft spoken weirdness, is almost shocking for the time. I think it might be one of the most alive films made, until Godard came around. And its better than anything Godard did.

Woman Under the Influence was #19 on the director's poll.
Only one.
But hey, there's only a hundred spots.

Another weird thing. Tropical Malady over Uncle Boonmee or Cemetery of Splendor.
I say weird not because of quality, because I haven't seen the former. Mainly because it's only accessible by kanopy (which a number of large metro area libraries no longer include as part of their memberships) or DVD. Not even Blu-ray. You can't rent it in streaming platforms if JustWatch is to be believed. Which leads me to wonder, how did enough people see that one?

I'm at 55/100. The ones I haven't seen...

1. Jeanne Dielman
7. Beau Travail
9. Man with a Movie Camera
11. Sunrise
13. The Rules of the Game
14. Cleo from 5 to 7
15. The Searchers
17. Close-Up
25. Au Hasard Balthazar
27. Shoah
28. Daisies
31. Mirror
34. L'Atalante
35. Pather Panchali
36. City Lights
44. Killer of Sheep
48. Wanda
49. Ordet
51. The Piano
52. News from Home
53. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
57. Contempt
59. Sans Soleil
60. Daughters of the Dust
66. Touki Bouki
67. The Gleaners and I
69. Andrei Rublev
70. The Red Shoes
72. My Neighbor Totoro
73. Journey to Italy
74. L'Avventura
75. Imitation of Life
78. Brighter Summer Day
79. Satantango
80. Celine & Julie Go Boating
83. A Matter of Life and Death
85. Pierrot Le Fou
86. Histoire(s) du Cinema
87.The Spirit of the Beehive
89. Chungking Express
90. The Earrings of Madame de...
91. The Leopard
92. Ugetsu
94. Yi Yi
100. Tropical Malady

Now, give it to me *covers*

Good for Jeanne Dielman, an epic unlike any other.

I am pleased/surprised/confused by the inclusion of Meshes of the Afternoon, and in such a high spot!

I'd love to see a graphic that breaks down the ballots.

Victim of The Night
I'm pretty happy with a lot of the list. Though I am a little surprised at some things that dropped off (Bride Of Frankenstein) and some things that have fallen so far (Metropolis, Casablanca).
I was really happy to see two films that were new to me in the last 2-3 years, and would absolutely make a very short list for me, certainly would make my top let's say 25 new watches of the last 5-10 years make the list, Cleo From 5 to 7 and Black Girl.
On the one hand, nice to see Blade Runner getting this kind of love, but on the other, I'm still pretty baffled at Goodfellas being on the list and being as high as it is and above so many films I feel are better, but I guess that's just personal.
The one that shocked me was Portrait Of A Lady On Fire. Not because I didn't think it belonged there, I haven't seen it yet though I've been meaning to since it was released, but just that it's so recent and it's an All-Time list that anything that's had so little time to be vetted or prove its staying-power comes as a big surprise to me, but I guess it just makes me want to see it even more.

Feels like there also may be some recency bias, and what I mean is that streaming has allowed a lot of films that were not very accessible to become so and a lot of those films seem to have made the list, making one wonder if that effected this poll in particular.
Not that it really matters except that we're set with this list for another decade and it will be interesting to see how it shakes out in another ten years when films that have only popped up in the last few as being readily available have been so for a dozen, fifteen years or whatever.
Overall, I found this all very exciting.

Dupe heh
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Victim of The Night
Quite surprised with the results. I could not believe that Daisies made it in 28th place, Cleo From 5 to 7 in 14th place, and Jeanne Dielmann in number 1. I was shocked over Jeanne Dielmann winning as it was unexpected, I thought 2001 would win. I was quite happy with this list. And Citizen Kane was at number 3 seems sad after it winning for so many decades and landing number 2 last one.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sou...films-all-time
https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sou...films-all-time
I would say this, for me personally, about Cleo From 5 to 7:
Once I finally saw it, my reaction was, "How has this not been considered one of the best films ever made all along? This is as good as or better than any French New Wave film I have ever seen and I think this is one of the best movies I've ever seen." For me, it's the best film I've seen in the last 3 years, given that I saw The Passion Of Joan Of Arc 3 years and 3 months ago.
So, I felt 14 was pretty close to right on the money. For me, right now, it is the best film of the FNW, passing Breathless, my previous favorite. Not that I am an expert on the sub-genre, but if someone said, "The best film of the French New Wave landed at 14", I'd be like, "Ok, that makes sense." And, for me, that's exactly what happened.

I love the idea of someone finding this list and being like, "Oh what's this movie that is ranked #1 maybe I should watch it" and I'd watch that reaction video and I hate those videos.

Victim of The Night
Not an actual policy, but I sometimes think that people feel they SHOULD include at least one female director on their list just because.
I would submit that a lot of great films by female directors have become more available in the last decade due to streaming services and so a lot more are being considered. I mean, didn't only 14 films by female directors make it despite those females making up literally 50% of the population?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Depends on whether you liked Daisies.
Fishy at 48 or fishy for being in the top 100?
I'd say both but I have to finally watch it to not sound like an idiot.
I think it might be one of the most alive films made, until Godard came around. And its better than anything Godard did.
You had me until this came.
No Cassavetes is absurd.
Many incredible directors are left off.
Another weird thing. Tropical Malady over Uncle Boonmee or Cemetery of Splendor.
This time they were right. It's Joe's best.
Now, give it to me *covers*
I Won't "give it to you" in any other way than just saying you have lots and lots of masterpieces to catch up on.
I would say this, for me personally, about Cleo From 5 to 7:
Once I finally saw it, my reaction was, "How has this not been considered one of the best films ever made all along? This is as good as or better than any French New Wave film I have ever seen and I think this is one of the best movies I've ever seen."
Maybe they think it's not an FNW film. Technically, it's the Left Bank...
I mean, didn't only 14 films by female directors make it despite those females making up literally 50% of the population?
It's not really about the percentage of females making the population. If anything, it's about the percentage of females being filmmakers.

Also, I just noticed Moonlight and Get Out made it. LOL.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.