The New Wonder Years

Tools    

Ep 14 got off to an uninteresting start, but held my attention because Lillian's mother reminded me of a crusty old Aunt of mine (bless her soul), who complained about everything and everybody and blamed my mother for everything wrong in her life, the same way Lillian's mother blamed her for everything. Regina Taylor was excellent as Lillian's mom and Cheadle's narration was on the money.

Ep 15 was excellent, the best episode of the series so far. There was a whole lot going on here that I could relate to. As a black child raised in all white neighborhoods, I understood the initial joy Dean felt when he got his first black teacher. I didn't have a black teacher until I went to college. I did have my first male teacher in the sixth grade. I'm not sure if a black kid in the 60's would be as concerned as Dean was about Mr. Brady being fair to everyone. Another thing I really related to was Dean's horror when he learned that Mr. Brady had been invited to dinner by his parents. My mother was a teacher and my shop teacher and my 7th and 8th grade English teachers were her best friends. She would get daily reports from my shop teacher and my English teachers were invited to our house on a regular basis. I hated it. Brady didn't need to make that remark about looking forward to having dinner at Dean's house in front of his friends. Even though they won as a result, I think it was wrong of Brady to take Dean off the team, why couldn't he just talk to him? I knew the minute Brady walked into that class wearing that dashiki and beating that drum, he was toast...it was the 60's. Gauis Charles was terrific as Mr. Brady, Julian Lerner had some scene stealing moments as rad, and Cheadle's narration was the best of the season. Solid episode.

After the surprisingly good ep 15, it should be no surprise that ep 16 was a hot mess...it offended me from jump with that PA announcement saying student of the week was going to black kid. I found that unbelievably racist and Corey's win making Dean jealous was enough for a solid episode, but they overcomplicated it with the story of Corey's parents separating. Don't believe Coach Long put the responsibility on Dean regarding his secret, making Dean a nutcase. Dean has always been established to be a smart kid but this ep made him look like an idiot. Wasn't buying his ignorance about his parents' sex life either...OK, he's a kid, but the repeated joke about what his parents were doing alone was played out. Coach Long's behavior made it look like he was cheating on his wife not that he got kicked out of the house. This ep tried to cover too much territory and didn't cover anything efficiently. And whoever heard of a bunch pre-teen boys having a sleepover? Camping trip maybe, but sleepover? I don't think so. The best thing about this ep was Cheadle's narration.

Ep 17 didn't work for me either because it was too focused on Dean's older sister, Kim, the show's most useless character and this ep did not change my mind about that. I also don't buy that other waitress given so much power in a diner in the 1960's? Dule Hill was excellent in that scene where he put Kim's boyfriend in check. Those girls Dean was hanging out with at the diner were too young for their dialogue. Would like to see a little more of Corey, who is definitely growing on me, and a little less of his two new besties, who I'm not feeling at all. Those girls at the diner were supposed to be the same age of Kimberly? Seriously?

OK, after the surprising ending to ep 18, I was disappointed with ep 19 opening with the revelation that Bruce's injuries were only minor and that he was home five minutes into the episode. So many Vietnam vets came home in pieces and I thought we were going to get a realistic look at a more permanent injury that might have left Bruce handicapped. It could have been the beginning of a very moving story arc. Dean's irritation factor was off the charts in this episode...I can't believe he said Joey deserved a whipping for taking the bronze star, but why didn't he say anything the second Joey took the medal. I did enjoy watching Bruce's girlfriend suck up to his parents I was impressed with the fact that Bruce's girlfriend turned down his proposal, didn't see that coming. The reveal of why Bruce was downplaying his bronze star was well worth the wait. I would love to see more of Bruce on this show and less of Kim, still the show's most useless character. Solid episode for the most part.

Ep 19 sure showed Lillian Williams, Dean's mother, in a very unflattering light. The woman acted like a pushy know-it-all throughout the entire episode and I guess we were supposed to feel sorry for her when Bill announced he was going to work with Janice, whose mixed signals didn't make her too much fun either. And did Bruce think he could do anything he wanted in his parents' house because he threw his dad a couple of dollars? And wouldn't call moving into the basement a sign of independence. But the biggest idiot in this episode was Dean...this kid really needs to learn how to read a room. Him standing up in that nightclub and booing Janice was stupid. Did like Cheadle's narration, and am I the only one who thought all of the costuming in this episode was hideous?

No lie, I had a couple of issues with episode 20. First thing, black kids into Star Trek? Not buying it. Lillian needs to lose that hat. A "literary salon"/ Seriously? Passing one glass of beer around the room? Loved when Corey said beer wasn't good for his mustache. Very disappointing when Dean tried to lay off what happened on Kim and Bruce, though I understand dean's quest to be popular and how painful it was in junior high, possibly the worst years of my own life. Though the ep did feature one of Cheadle's strongest narrations.

Loved the way Lillian turned the tables on Bill when the opportunity of writing for Marvin Gaye fell in his lap. Keesa is playing Dean and Broderick like fiddles and neither one of them is aware of it, though I had to re-think that after what happened in the shed with Keesa and Dean. I guess Keesa really is the Winnie Cooper of this show because these two really belong together and circumstances keep pulling them apart. Did we really need a return of Bill's father? I would think that Dean would be a little more excited about spending the summer in New York with his dad, but his goodbye scene with Keesa was appropriately awkward and sweet.

I actually thought this show had been cancelled, but caught a brand new episode last night. Guest star Patti LaBelle appeared as the church choir director and Lillian's mother, who relinquishes her position as director to Lillian when the choir starts backing her on some suggestions she makes. There's also a cute subplot that I could definitely relate to, where young Dean (Elisha Williams), is so bored with the church service that he prays to God for some kind of disaster to befall the church so he can go home and, right at that moment, an elderly member of the choir, who appeared to be played by a legendary character actress named Ketty Lester, drops dead and Dean is wracked with guilt about it. The episode was pretty funny and featured one of Cheadle's funniest narrations. Glad to see ABC hasn't given up on this show.

Just watched the ep with Lillian's sister, Jackie moving in. From what we are provided regarding Jackie's history, don't know why Bill and Lillian would let her move in with the first place. Loved that Jackie had to point out to the congregation that Lillian was her older sister. "I like going to church with you, Aunt Jackie. I almost stayed awake the entire service." "I hope they have breath mints in hell cause we ain't stoppin," No way Lillian could have gotten Jackie hired that quick for government job. I had a job working for a city once and the time between my first interview and first day? Nine months. Kim is only 15? The actress looks like she's 25. That scene in the office with Jackie and Keith was beyond corny. Loved that Lillian's boss made her fire Jackie, but was disappointed that the scene played offscreen. "Anybody know what a stable boy does when he's not kissing?"

Just watched the "Football team" episode which started off with blatant dramatic license. There's no way a high school student in the 1960's would be allowed to arrange her class schedule so she could have mornings off. That actor playing the football coach looked really familiar, but I couldn't place him. Loved when Bill told Kim not to walk out of here before she actually did. Bill played Donald like a commitment-phobic fiddle. Kesia is so full of herself, I hope she was worth it to Dean. Loved that Lillian was onto Bill from jump. The cafeteria lady disrespecting Dean? Seriously? Dean did do the right thing. The final moment with Bill and Kim during the credits was lovely.

It was nice to see Donald Faison guest starring on the "Blockbusting" episode. Kim continues to be as annoying as ever. Loved the tension aroused at the idea of Dean and Brad having a sleepover. LOVED the mention that white people don't use wash cloths in the shower. "Giving me reparations in the form of unlimited koolaid?" Why did Brad's mom feel it was necessary to kiss Dean good night and why was it necessary for Dean to be so excited about it? Dean's behavior with Brad's mom was ridiculous. We were the only black family in an all white neighborhood when I was a kid, and I'm wondering if this is a subject to made light of. "Did George Wallace show up to block the front door?" Loved Cheadle's narration.

That was funny as hell in ep 6 that Dean's father got mad because Dean got an A he doesn't think he deserves. A bunch of black middle-schoolers who want to see Easy Rider? I don't think so. Nice to see Bradley Whitford as the music teacher. It was equally nice to see Dule Hill at the center of an episode for a change. Pleasantly surprised by the return of Dean's older brother, Bruce. Can't remember the last time I saw a television character wearing a mink stole. The tupperware lady looked a little cray-cray. The parents at a key party? "Hey you guys wanna come down to the basement. We just had the whole thing sound-proofed." The costumes on the ladies at the party were great. Wish I could say the same for Kim's outfit. Where did Dean's sudden interest in chemistry come from? Kim and Bruce don't seem like brother and sister at all. Pretty adult stuff here.

Jack McBrayer was a fun guest star on ep 7 as a guidance counselor. Everyone knows blacks don't vote republican, nice to see it addressed in this episode. Clearly the writer of this episode was never in drama club when they were a kid. Kim continues to be television's most useless character. Dule Hill played that scene in the barbershop with Bruce. A little too much use of the word "thespian" without any jokes behind it. Really enjoying Spence Moore II as Bruce too. "I was so scared I had glittered by pants." Isn't Karen a little young to be such a bitchy little diva? Love that gray shirt Dule had on in the scene with his dad. That was a nice gesture Dean made in the cafeteria...too bad it never would have played out like that in rea life. Two hours and twenty three minutes? The second to last line of Cheadle's narration was gold.

Loved Bill's line ep 8..."Like I'm going to let a couple of thirteen year olds play with a box of matches. Power saw's in the garage." I don't understand why Lillian doesn't just fire the guy. My job would be more important to me than the friendship. If memory serves, don't soap box derby cars have to be built exclusively by the drivers. Allen Maldonado was so funny in that church scene. "Mama was feeling bad. And not the way you're supposed to feel bad after church." Cliff has some stones suing the state. Of course, the boss is going to throw Lillian under the bus. Loved the soap box derby though.

Nice to see Malcom Jamal Warner as Bill's brother and the return of Patti Labelle as Grandma for ep 9. Bill's father was definitely out of line when the sensitivity chips were passed out. "You know sitting closer to something boring doesn't make it less boring." Bill's father hasn't become any more likable since his last appearance. That little song was beyond adorable even if I have a hard time watching them do that as children. Sometimes Dean really needs to learn how to read a room. And just for the record, black folks in the 1960's had no idea what jazz hands are.

The season finale commenced with Dean getting a spiritual punch in the gut from his parents. The University of Northern Austin? Seriously? Hopefully Kim going to college will lead to the character being written off the show. Well, if they're sending the family to Disneyland, that means there's probably going to be a third season. Once again, Dean really needs to learn how to read the room. Glad Bill's band didn't screw him. Well, I guess my Kim bubble has been burst, but Bruce going to college should ignite some interesting story for season 3.