The MoFo Top 100 Movies of the 1930s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

It's time to get this show on the road!
MoFo's 1930s Top 100 Movies Countdown

The 1930s are often called the Golden Age of Movies and people by the millions went weekly to the theaters to see their favorite stars and forget their troubles....The world was in an economic slump called the Great Depression and movies helped to lift people's spirits out of their doldrums....The 1930s ushered in the sound era and full Technicolor films too and all the familiar genres and character arch types were laid down on celluloid. We wouldn't be where we are today if the film pioneers of the 1930s hadn't forged the way.

Ever since I joined MoFo, I've said that I would host the 1930s Countdown. Promises made, promises kept.

The Rules...the rules are like all the other countdowns, so no surprises here.

• All films released from 1930 to 1939 are eligible. Release dates are based on IMDB or Wiki.
  • You're submitting a voting list of what you consider to be your personal top 25 films that you've seen, from the 1930s.
  • Submit your voting list of Top 25 movies, ranked in order, numbered 1-25 with 1 being your favorite on down to 25, to me by private message with the title "[Your Username] - MoFo 1930s List"
  • Don't post your list here or you votes will be disqualified, keep them private.
  • You must be a member for one month before submitting a list.
  • When voting for foreign language films, include both the English and original language title (if applicable).
  • Type out the full movie title as shown on IMDB. Don't abbreviate the title or leave words out. If you do it can cause problems when I add up the list.
  • Partial lists with no less than 10 movies on it, will be accepted after: August 30, 2018
  • The deadline to send your list in is: the morning of September 30, 2018 12:01 AM Pacific Standard Time Zone. I won't be extending the deadline beyond that date and time, so don't be late with your list.
  • All lists are final, once I receive it I can't take revisions so make sure you're happy with your list rankings. Look it over and over again, until you're happy with it.

So there's 5 months of film-watching time before the deadline
to get your voting list in. Try to revisit some old 1930s favorites and watch a bunch you've never seen before. The more 1930s films you watch the better your voting list will be.

The 1930s are a great decade for films so lets make this work MoFos!

Voting List Submitted
Marlon Brando
Loner
Siddon
GulfportDoc
Upton
Camo
Citizen Rules
Dadgumblah
DonnieDarko
SeanC
Nedstark09
Holden Pike
Thursday Next
The Samoan Lawyer
Yoda
Matt72582
Jabs
Edarsenal
Rauldc14
Mr Minio
Nestrorio_Miklos
Re93animator
7thson
TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck_
Gideon58
Jal90
Chypmunk
Fabulous
Mark F
Roy C
Gbgoodies
Gatsby
Nostromo87
HashtagBrownies
Nope1172
Cat_sidhe
Austruck
Cobpyth
Cricket
Captain Spaulding
Frightened Inmate No. 2
Kaplan
Nathianel
Iroquois
sarah f

Oh, wow! Need any help message me of course mate .

So glad you're doing this, PM me with any 30's threads you want to do and i'll help out
I need all sorts of help There was so much more that I though I would put into the first post but man, it's been a long day, so I did that on the fly. Except that pic, geez that took way too much time.

I need all sorts of help There was so much more that I though I would put into the first post but man, it's been a long day, so I did that on the fly. Except that pic, geez that took way too much time.
Not to speak for others but we're very appreciative of your devotion to the site and especially the 30's here!

PM me with whatever help you need mate, more than happy to help out.

Awesome, I truly love this decade I've seen close to 500 films from this era so I'll be curious to see if anyone has any recommendations that It'll click with me.

Not to speak for others but we're very appreciative of your devotion to the site and especially the 30's here!

PM me with whatever help you need mate, more than happy to help out.
Thanks Camo....If you want to make a 30s recommendation thread like you've done before, that would be cool

Whatever you and anyone can do to help promote this countdown would be super. The countdown is all of ours and I'm just a clerk, the guy who will tally up the scores and post the movies that make the countdown, but it's all of us who will make it happen and I really hope our fellow MoFos can come together and make this countdown work.

Why do a decade with such an obvious number 1?

That's a fun movie! I don't know if it will make #1, but yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it makes this countdown.

Awesome, I truly love this decade I've seen close to 500 films from this era so I'll be curious to see if anyone has any recommendations that It'll click with me.
I've seen 5

You've seen 500 films from the 30's? What?
Yup..

88/90 Best Picture noms from the 1930's
106/118 Criterion releases
72/83 1001 Movies to see before you die
30 Horror films
100+ shorts

Basically I ruin my DVR during the TCM Oscar season with stuff from the 30's.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
If anybody cares, I'm up to 2025 30s movies.
I care.

Is there a lower limit on number of movies for partial lists CR?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Only 237 30s films here.

In case you're interested, here's a breakdown by decade:

80s were Satan's decade, no doubt!!!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

movies can be okay...
I'll try spending my summer watching as many 30's films as I can.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'll try spending my summer watching as many 30's films as I can.
I won't.

movies can be okay...
Well you're not the one with a single 30's film under their belt. I never noticed the poor attention I gave to that decade, matter of fact, I even treated the 20's better.