Daniel M's Top 100 - 2014

→ in
Tools    

This list isn't going to be anywhere near as much fun as the last one.

Still, bring it on, Daniel.

Sadly, that's probably one of the few fun films that are going to appear and it's crap. Nevermind. Bring on the next film.

I'm expecting a sane mix of classics, "fun and entertaining movies", a couple of personal choices and a few "arthouse" pictures.

When you announced this list, my very first thought was "I wonder if Con Air will make it or if Daniel's become too much of a film snob to acknowledge it?" Glad to see it sneaked on here. I have fond memories of our commentary.

He's got the whole world in his hands....

Excited for this list Daniel!

Con Air, I watched when you managed to sneak it on the 90s list, tons of flaws but entertaining enough and glad to see you included it on our list, wouldn't be a Daniel M list without it.

I'm hoping for the best, but I fear it'll get worse and worse once we hit the top 50.
Whilst overall you might be right, I think there are quiet a few choices on here that you'll be happy about.

Lets post another five films then:
A fascinating war film that like most good films of the genre focuses on the human side and hypocrisy of war. Renoir seems like an extremely clever director, with a perfect intelligent and at times satirical screenplay and direction. Great performances give us insight to the individuals on the different sides during war, and we genuinely care for the characters as they attempt to escape.
A simple tale often regarded as a neorealistic masterpiece, and with good reason. The film relies almost entirely on the two main characters as we watch them battle against the challenges of post-war Italy. A film that packs a powerful emotional punch come the end and one I would recommend to anyone interesting in branching out into foreign films.
I had to watch this film as part of an online course in Scandinavian film, and I am glad I did. Probably the best film about religion that I have seen (even better than Dreyer's The Passion Joan of Arc), provoking many questions about faith and what it means to have it. The ending for which its known for is extremely effective and powerful, there are great performances but what really brings the film to live is Dreyer's expert direction, it is a masterpiece in photography.
Another film that focuses on the hypocrisy of war, and whilst obviously more 'Hollywood' than La Grande Illusion, its just as effective. Alec Guiness is fantastic in the lead role as a character who stands up for himself and sees his principles challenged throughout. David Lean is a superb 'epic' director who handles the plot with great control, resulting in an unforgettable ending.
A film that I have watched many times, each one ending with a huge smile on my face. A coming-of-age comedy that feels very relateable, has great performances, and many funny, human moments. I would call this film a 'classic' for sure, and whilst it may not be so in the way that other films in this set are, it is a one of a kind film that is extremely memorable with many fantastic moments. A definitive film of its time that you do not get nowadays.

Love Bicycle Thieves, The Bridge on the River Kwai and The Graduate are great too. I want to see Ordet, mainly because I need to check out more Dryer (I've only seen The Passion of Joan of Arc). And I've got to see Grand Illusion too.

The Graduate is one of my favorite films of all time. It still has to appear on my list, so that already says a lot about how much I love it.

Surprisingly, I haven't seen any of the four other classics you included yet. I have The Bridge on the River Kwai on DVD and obviously I "know" the other three films, but I haven't seen them yet. I'll fix that after my exams are over. It's always exciting to realize that there are still plenty of important films out there that I haven't seen yet.

P.S. The lay-out looks great!

I absolutely loved The Bridge on the River Kwai so it's nice to see that.

I know I liked The Graduate but I have to see it again for the 60's list.

Bicycle Thieves is on my watchlist and I never heard of the other two.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Love me some Con Air.

"Put...the bunny...back...in the box"

Suspect's Reviews