Serendipity

→ in
Tools    

Perfect date movie. Its not because u are going to get laid after this movie (u might i dunno) its not because she'll love u because of it, it might bring u closer, (it did me and my date) but i could stand watching it!!! It wasnt like most of those romantic movies where the guy cant stand the whole movie and he comes out hating it and her. Its actually okay. Its funny, John Cusack was wonderful, the directing was magnificent, greatly delivered twists and suprises. I liked it, and so loved it.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Originally posted by mecurdius
It wasnt like most of those romantic movies where the guy cant stand the whole movie and he comes out hating it and her.
Lol! You mean like Great Expectations? She loved it, I hated it and her. Lol!

I'll just re-post what I wrote in the "What is John Cusack up to?" thread after I saw the movie Friday night...

Overall I must say I enjoyed Serendipity, and Cusack is wonderful (of course). But I'd only rate it three out of five stars.

It's certainly not a bad movie, but it's sure not a great one either. Worth seeing? Sure. But given Cusack in front of the camera and Peter Chelsom behind it, I was hoping for more.

Chelsom's first two movies, Hear My Song (1991) and Funny Bones (1995), were charming and weird and different and loads of fun. But since those two movies I think he's had trouble finding material that fits his sensibility. His first U.S.-only production, The Mighty (1998), was well-intentioned but very flat and ultimately misguided - especially in comparison to Funny Bones and Hear My Song. His fourth film, Town & Country (2001), a would-be farce with out-of-control budget and distribution problems, is already an infamous flop.

Serendipity is easily his best movie since Funny Bones...but that's not saying much. It's still missing something for me, that perhaps indefinable something that turns a good movie into a magical one. It's probably no coincidence that Chelsom hasn't been credited as screenwriter on any of these projects since Funny Bones.

After Chelsom's embarassment with Town & Country and Cusack's listless work in the totally uninspired and vacuous America's Sweethearts (2001) earlier this year, Serendipity is a giant step in the right direction for both. But it's still nowhere close to what each is capable of. Compared to recent smart and sweet mainstream romantic comedies such as High Fidelity, Grosse Pointe Blank, Return To Me, As Good As It Gets, and Rushmore, Serendipity is merely an also-ran.

Understand, it is 100% better than the dumbed-down gross-out yuk-yuck fests that have unfortunately dominated the market too much of late, and for that alone it is a relief and an enjoyable couple hours in the dark. I just wish it had been even more.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well that's good to hear. I'm looking forward to seeing this flick now.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I dunno why, but for some reason, this movie looks like the ultimate romantic comedy. Don't ask why I feel that way, because I don't know...it just looks like a big-budget romantic comedy that's going to make a buttload of money at the box office. Oh, and BTW: I thought "America's Sweethearts" was decent. Definitely a few very funny lines...almost all of them from Cusack.

I saw this today, and I enjoyed it a good deal. But I'm a romantic at heart and a sucker for this type of movie.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
*gasp* - ryan, I would never have thought ...

actually, I thought AmSweethearts was funnier ... more deliberate about it, anyway.

saw this the other night and it IS a great date movie. heart swelled and all that. i cracked up at all the women going "ooooooooh" at all the cheesy romantic parts and the men groaning at the same time.

the best part though was Cusack's best friend ... he was the coolest.

Best conversation EVER:

"You're a jack@ss. You're the sh|it!"
"I'm the sh|t."
"He's the sh|t!"
"I'm the sh|t."
"I wanna be a jack@ss!!"

or some such. this is why i love men. only y'all could have pulled this off.

otherwise, i think this movie leaned a tad more toward the "innocent" recollection of a romance, and really made me think of "Love Affair." That whole - we know they're going to uh ... well, we know how it's going to end and we love being tortured waiting for it. it was a cross between "Return to Me" and "America's Sweethearts." Not quite blindly innocent and not quite false romantic comedy vehicle stomping too hard on the comedy. definitely amusing and fun to see, light enjoyable fluff that made me feel good, and works toward reinstilling some American faith in "fate" "destiny" and grand, beautiful, impossible - but possible - things.

I haven't seen this yet, but I will say this: I really don't enjoy the movies where some person (male or female) completely dumps some perfectly good guy or girl who's already putting up with their infatuation, to go running off on some romantic dream. Like Bill Pullman in "Sleepless in Seattle." What a crock! In real life, that would never fly...and it just FEELS wrong. I dunno. I don't hate those movies...but that aspect of them bothers me.

Now With Moveable Parts
who would of thought that little John Cusack,from sixteen candles,would be the romantic comedy king! Praises for Cusack...I've always loved him...all the way back to Say Anything.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
You're right, Commish, I totally dislike that aspect, it's a disturbing undercurrent that just totally gets swept under the carpet.

my logic is - if the guy never got over the girl he should have TOLD his partner when things got serious (ahem, BEFORE proposing to her!) so that they would know he's still holding out for some long lost dream. then they can 1) break up or 2) work it out. instead he just kept it to himself the day of the wedding, which is great for tension but I mean ... cruel! just cruel. very selfish. having passion and romance and throwing caution to the wind does not mean breaking people's hearts in favor of your own romantic dream.

I liked this movie. It was pure, sweet fluff. I saw it on a date though, so maybe I liked it more than if I hadn't. I dunno.

One question: Where did Halley go? Did she just disappear when Jon didn't come home from San Francisco?

Saw it this weekend - I thought it was very warm and fuzzy. Especially so in light of the past weekes events. I must admit I am surpsrised at the level of critical success it has received. Gene Shalit wrote a glowing review...