A Song For September

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
ROUND 4

1. Guns N' Roses - Live And Let Die
What's left to say about GnR? Great double-album release with their Use Your Illusions 1 and 2. This probably wouldn't be my first choice of theirs for a song tournament, being a cover, but it was still branded well enough by their sound.

2. Etta James & Sugar Pie DeSanto - In The Basement, Part 1
Fun song. I enjoy the style well enough but would prefer a bit more variety over its play. I think it falls victim to some of the repeat hook trappings from its time, but still a very solid track. I wonder if it ranked higher for the variety it provided in context of the other songs from this round?

3. Gateballers - The all = poem
This was my pick for the round. A relatively random find shuffling through Spotify, I enjoy the simple groove of it. The mix is clean and everything sits where it should. There's enough variety through the track to keep my attention but I agree with honeykid that it would suffer if it ran longer. If you like this at all, then give Autolux a try. Gateballers are kind of a softer, watered-down version of them. Sorta.

4. Frank Sinatra - My Way
The Chairman of the Board, Frank-the-tank Sinatra. (I added the tank part cuz I watched Old School a few weeks ago). I've never really been a fan of his music but there is something to be said of his staying power and influence.

5. Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way
Also not a fan, but the song is solid. Was this in the Heavy Metal soundtrack? If not, it would fit in right around the scene where the John Candy-voiced robot was snorting cocaine off the mothership floor...

6. Wanda Jackson - Fujiyama Mama
Wow. Just... wow. I'm kind of surprised that this track didn't make the Kill Bill I soundtrack. Silly song and makes sense for the time, but I'm cringing a lil hoping no one can hear this through my headphones at work! lol.

7. Joe Diffie - A Night To Remember
Country isn't my thing at all, but I get the inclusion. It's a solid country song with the right sound for its purpose.

8. Pink Floyd - Time
Aside from just not being a fan of Pink Floyd, I think this track would probably work best if heard in context of the album as a whole. Without the investment and progression of the titles before and after, some songs just don't stand alone well for me.

9. The Heimatdamisch: Sweet Child o' Mine
Great cover and a fun novelty track, but it did wear out its welcome pretty early on.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Round 4

1. Wanda Jackson - Fujiyama Mama
(Vintage rockabilly from an absolute firecracker. Also fun to imagine how much of an uproar this would cause if released today. #CancelWandaJackson. The lyrics might be culturally insensitive, but the Japanese made this song a huge hit back in the day.)

2. Guns N' Roses - Live and Let Die
(Sometimes it feels like GNR are the most popular cover band of all-time. Considering how little music they recorded together, a disappointingly large percentage seems to be covers. This, "KOHD," "Sympathy for the Devil," the Live Like a Suicide EP, the entire Spaghetti Incident album, and that's not even factoring in concert staples like "The Seeker" and "Whole Lotta Rosie." However, as I say every time they're nominated, GNR is my favorite band, and I much prefer their version of "Live and Let Die" over the original, as they inject the perfect dose of attitude and muscle into McCartney's tune.)

3. Pink Floyd - Time
(I've heard this countless times in my life, but I've never stopped enjoying it. If anything, I like it more as I get older, and as someone who thinks to himself, "Where did the time go?" at least once a day, the lyrics feel more poignant with each setting sun)

4. Frank Sinatra - My Way
(Hard not to feel distinguished any time this classic plays.)

5. Joe Diffie - A Night to Remember
(I would've hated this when I was younger, as it's the embodiment of the corny country that I found so lame as a teen, and which my mom seemed to listen to all the time. But tastes change, and I actually found myself liking this tune quite a bit as it went along.)

6. Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way
(A bit played out for me, but that guitar sound is something I'm naturally drawn to.)

7. Etta James & Sugar Pie DeSanto - In the Basement, Part 1
(The link wouldn't work for me, so listened to this version instead. Curious to hear it with Part II since this song ended just as I was starting to get into it.)

8. Gateballers - The all = poem
(There's something oddly indistinguishable about this song. Listened to it twice and still unsure what I think of it.)

9. The Heimatdamisch: Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns N' Roses)
(A mixture of LOL and WTF.)

Round de Cinco Nome
Florence + The Machine: Dog Da (wait just a minute!)

The one, the only .....PJ Mah'r Fargin' Harvey
Rub 'Till It Bleeds

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Please rank from 1 (your favourite) to 9 (your least favourite).
This round will stay open for voting until 9am IST/BST on 11th September.

Nominations are now open for Round 5

@Chypmunk,

I just got back from the hospital. Give me about an hour, and I'll post my votes and my next nom.

Thanks.

Running a little late today but still no sign of votes from jj and sadly time marches on so here's the R3 results in what turned out to be a pretty tight affair:

1st - Peppino Gagliardi - Che vuole questa musica stasera (59 pts)
1st - Pretty Reckless - Going To Hell (59 pts)

Congratulations to both @John-Connor and @edarsenal!

Thank you. Unfortunately we won't know much for a few days because the doctor isn't sure yet what's causing the new complications. (He may have also injured his knees when he fell. )
::fingers crossed:: good luck, to you and your father-in-law

Thank you. He seemed to be feeling a little better today, but he's on meds that make him sleep a lot, so it's hard to talk to him and find out much about how he really feels. But they're talking about moving him to a rehab facility within the next few days, so hopefully that's a good sign.

1) Joe Diffie - A Night To Remember
2) Frank Sinatra - My Way
3) Etta James & Sugar Pie DeSanto - In The Basement, Part 1 (The link for this video had the message "Video unavailable. This video is not available", so I used this link instead.)
4) Pink Floyd - Time
5) The Heimatdamisch: Sweet Child o' Mine (Guns n' Roses)
6) Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way
7) Gateballers - The all = poem
8) Wanda Jackson - Fujiyama Mama
9) Guns N' Roses - Live And Let Die

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
ROUND 4

Pink Floyd - Time
Etta James & Sugar Pie DeSanto - In The Basement, Part 1
Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way
Wanda Jackson - Fujiyama Mama
Guns N' Roses - Live And Let Die
Frank Sinatra - My Way
Joe Diffie - A Night To Remember
Gateballers - The all = poem
The Heimatdamisch: Sweet Child o' Mine (Guns n' Roses)

Brother Dege - Too Old to Die Young

I can't remember if I've nominated this song before for one of these, if anybody can remind me if I have, I'll change my nomination:

Bob Dylan - The Ballad of Hollis Brown
You're grand - only Dylan that's been previously nommed in one of these is Maggie's Farm.

The votes have all been cast so here's the results of R4:

1st - Guns N' Roses - Live And Let Die (56 pts)

2nd - Etta James & Sugar Pie DeSanto - In The Basement, Part 1 (55 pts)
3rd - Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way (52 pts)
4th - Pink Floyd - Time (51 pts)
5th - Wanda Jackson - Fujiyama Mama (47 pts)
6th - Frank Sinatra - My Way (46 pts)
7th - Joe Diffie - A Night To Remember (40 pts)
8th - Gateballers - The all = poem (34 pts)
9th - The Heimatdamisch: Sweet Child o' Mine (Guns n' Roses) (24 pts)

Grats to J-C on getting a second one through to the Final

Round 5 up in a little over an hour....

ROUND 5
  1. Valerie June - The Hour
  2. Kobra And The Lotus - Black Velvet
    (quality cover)
  3. Stravinsky - Rite of Spring
    (nice pick, I did not clap along tho)
  4. Brother Dege - Too Old to Die Young
  5. P J Harvey - Rub 'Till It Bleeds
    (never heard before, sounds like 90's grunge)
  6. A Day To Remember - If It Means a Lot To You
    (vocals sound a bit like 'the script' ?)
  7. Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
  8. Bob Dylan - The Ballad of Hollis Brown
  9. Alan Jackson - Where Were You
    ( Was in a pub with my friends none of us believed what we were seeing, it took hours of additional news coverage and confirmation, before we realized/accepted that it actually really did happen. We sat there theorizing for hours on the who, what, where, and how it could have happened)
  10. Secondhand Serenade - Your Call

Round 5

Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy - I love this song and have done since release, so it walked to first place here.

Kobra And The Lotus - Black Velvet - It misses Alannah's voice, but it's a good song and a good cover.

P J Harvey - Rub 'Till It Bleeds - Ah, PJ. Never really became a fan, but often liked much of what I've heard.

Stravinsky - Rite of Spring "Clap-along" - Something stronger and more direct? That's more like it today.

Brother Dege - Too Old to Die Young - Still a bit too country for comfort for me, but ok for one listen.

Valerie June - The Hour - Nice enough but even this short it became a little trying.

A Day To Remember - If It Means a Lot To You - Pleasant enough before going off in the last third.

Secondhand Serenade - Your Call - Listening to this makes me think I might not be in the best headspace for this today. But I don't have time for it tomorrow, so I'm going on. It sounds quite 90's in a familiar way, but not one that pleases me much.

Bob Dylan - The Ballad of Hollis Brown - Not a fan,

Alan Jackson - Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning) - Sorry, but I this really is the kind of mawkish stuff I just can't bear.

Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy

Secondhand Serenade - Your Call

Stravinsky - Rite of Spring "Clap-along

Nominations are now open for Round 6.
HMMMM.
Any particular reason with "secondhand serenade" was second in your list?? Subliminizing your mind control much here? Dare I call shenanigans? I don't have her number, but the threat is very real.

HMMMM.
Any particular reason with "secondhand serenade" was second in your list?? Subliminizing your mind control much here? Dare I call shenanigans? I don't have her number, but the threat is very real.
Call away by all means .... but it's simply the order in which the nominations are put forward.

Please send Shena (Ms. Nigans to you) my love when you call if you'd be so kind