2nd Animation Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Tower

Once upon a time, such a scenario of someone going to the top of a building and firing away at those below was almost unheard of. Which is why this specific scenario from back in '66 had such an impact and would be played out in a number of references. I even remember reading a comic book as a kid with a very, very similar situation inked out about a glass-wearing youth on top of a building with an apple and a rifle with a sight. The final panels show him taking a final bite of the apple, setting it to the side and standing on the ledge, waving. Then being hit multiple times by gunfire from below.

That, and other references played off the view of the sniper himself.
This, does not.

In fact, using rotoscoping and mixing it with documented film, we follow several of the victims and police officers involved in the 96 minute shoot out that claimed some 16 dead and around 36 wounded.
Making for a rather captivating documentary where the rotoscoping of those telling their stories added quite nicely to the storytelling. Even more so when, near the end, when we see the actual people telling their stories resulting, for me, even more of an impact.

I found the entire film both informative and sympathetic to those who lived through that hour and a half of madness and death. They did an excellent job of it all. focusing nearly all of it on those who lived through it and their actions while only giving the sniper a bare minimal of time. Which I found extenuated the humanity of those below and the officers who got up and took him out. Instead of glamorizing the one behind the trigger who continued to fire on anyone who got in his line of fire.

It's all good. I'm really not in a hurry anyways. Thanks for the update!
Sorry I've been MIA. I'll PM my email if you need to reach me more quickly. My dog, Daphne, has been dealing with a serious issue with a poor prognosis in last few months and I needed to take her into emergency earlier in the week. The vet told me that I've tried everything I could at this point and told me to think in terms of days now. If everyone could send her some peaceful energy, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am planning on watching the remaining movies I have left and will try my best to check in a bit more.

It's all good. I'm really not in a hurry anyways. Thanks for the update!
Sorry I've been MIA. I'll PM my email if you need to reach me more quickly. My dog, Daphne, has been dealing with a serious issue with a poor prognosis in last few months and I needed to take her into emergency earlier in the week. The vet told me that I've tried everything I could at this point and told me to think in terms of days now. If everyone could send her some peaceful energy, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am planning on watching the remaining movies I have left and will try my best to check in a bit more.
I’m so sorry to hear about your dog. I’ve been through the same sort of thing with a pet and it always sucks.

That is heartbreaking, my dear. VERY sorry to hear that.
Lost a number of beloved furry friends through the years and will be sending out love and peace your way. Take care, darlin.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Ernest and Celestine

I really like the look of the animation of the film. Looked just like a childhood storybook being brought to life in the screen. However, that being said I didn't care for the story too much because I didn't care for the depth of it much at all. I think Ernest and Celestine should have had a stronger bond in the film to bring them together.

I liked the voice performances well enough, but they weren't anything that stood out either. Maybe on a second watch I would care more for the film. I did get a nice chuckle out of the family who owned both the candy store and the tooth store to become super profitable. It was a nice film but not a great one either.

Deadline will be pushed 2 more weeks to October 2nd. I would have finished in time but a few of you may need some wiggle room and I figure there's no hurry.

There were some stuff that did annoy me. The opening with the song was kinda obnoxious and more like something from a Disney Channel Movie than something serious. There's way too much exposition. Also the director does this thing where he tries to make events seem really significant and confusing even though it's obvious to the audience exactly what's going on.

Apart from that it was pretty good. The animation was obviously gorgeous. I like how it takes the concept of a body swap story and tells it in a way where the concept is merely a background element to make the main story possible. The twists are unexpected. The characters are pretty generic, but likable. It managed to make me kinda emotional in some parts so that's great.

Cool nom @CosmicRunaway, definitely gonna check out 'Garden of Words' by the same director.

+

Deadline will be pushed 2 more weeks to October 2nd. I would have finished in time but a few of you may need some wiggle room and I figure there's no hurry.
That's what I get for pulling a Spongebob I guess hehe.

I only have my own nomination left to watch and will work on write ups this weekend!

First time I saw this film I was...ten?...ish? I really liked it anyway. Sometimes I think I was a more patient film-viewer as a kid than I am now haha.

Today I still think it's great, One of Miyazaki's best. It's probably one of his best because it actually has a plot and story structure (Not that plotless films are bad, I just tend to prefer stories). Best thing about this film is probably the world it establishes; It feels so big, so alien, it's so lush and beautiful. I guess watching it as a kid gave me that kinda feeling of being in a large city at night which gave me (And still give me) nostalgia.

I liked how the film wasn't afraid to take breathers and have quiet moments, sometimes we need those in films. The animation is undeniably beautiful, all those scenes at night-time were very soothing. The characters are fun and the characters designs are very creative.

Very beautiful film @ahwell

Sorry peeps but I keep putting off Spirited Away. I'll get to it eventually here. That being said I'll be out of state for awhile so it may be a bit yet. Obviously I've seen the film numerous times so I really don't have to see it to send in my ballot, but I would like to give it a proper review.

The Adventures of Prince Achmed

Prince Achmed: Take me to Wak-Wak!

Well, that was pretty g0dd@mn impressive!!
I just finished watching this and I am RIGHT ON the deadline for watching a film to be added to a Pre-30s Countdown List. Which I PMd yesterday. And let me tell ya, if I was able to see this BEFORE compiling/ PMing said list; this Arabian Knights, visual delight would have shot up around ten positions from the "safe" position I placed it at.
I was originally expecting to see an important technical achievement and, therefore, for me, a lot of times, "important technical achievements" are just that and not necessarily entertaining. So, I presumed would entail so-so storytelling.

I WAS F@CKIN WRONG

Since already mentioned, let's delve a bit into the technical aspects. Using two well-stated snippets from IMDB.
The first, a quote from the primary review. The second, from "Trivia":

"completed in 1926, which makes it THE oldest surviving animated feature film. [Director] Lotte Reiniger (June 2, 1899 - June 19, 1981) was a German (and later a British) silhouette animator and film director. Through elaborating articulated paper silhouettes set to an original score by Wolfgang Zeller, Reiniger combines in "Prince Achmed..." several fairy tales from the Thousand and One Nights aka Arabian Nights. Reiniger was ahead of Walt Disney by a decade using her innovative camera which separates foreground from background to produce 3-D illusion. She also experimented with wax and sand to create magical special effects."
~by Galina_movie_fan
Lotte Reiniger cut figures out of black cardboard with scissors, and joined movable parts with thread in order to animate them. From 1923-26 about 250,000 frame-by-frame stills were made and 96,000 were used in the film. Her husband, Carl Koch, was responsible for the photography in all her films until his death in 1963.
And, now, my blathering;

While I was expecting some detailed cutouts done in some clever way with a simplistic background, I found myself more and more amazed at just how much of an utter f@ckin understatement that was!
The ingenuity was astounding. Every continuing scene held it's own extraordinary imagery.

I was mesmerized and entranced as the story played out.

And what a delightful and engaging fantasy storytelling it was.
From early on, when the Caliph demanded of the African Magician of how to get the flying horse that continued to fly higher and higher and farther away, to come back down, and if the Prince, who was riding it, was aware of it, only to have the Magician shrug offhandedly; (which made me grin and chuckle by the "performance") I was caught up in the telling of this visually impressive adventure.
We are given an action drenched Arabian Nights saga involving the devious endeavors of a dark Magician; such as nefarious intent for the Caliph's daughter, a funny fight of four seductresses over the Prince's attention, a kidnapped Demon Princess by the Prince and their romantic tale along with the demons that pursue,
WARNING: "A Witch" spoilers below
that becomes the Prince's ally in battling both the Magician and the demons.
Along with a short narrative of Aladdin as he joins in for the great, final battle of this entertaining epic.

Going back to the Quote I copied regarding being ahead of Walt Disney, I found it amusing that this HoF includes Disney's The Sword in the Stone. Both films involve a magical battle between a Magician and a Witch, shapeshifting into a variety of creatures.

This is THE Dark Horse, for me, of this HoF.
@ahwell, you have brought some wonderful nominations to these HoFs and this, to date, is very much an unexpected and a thoroughly enjoyable film. One I know for a fact I doubt I would have ever seen - if not for this site and my involvement in these HoFs and the various Countdowns, here.
F@ckin YAY

The Adventures of Prince Achmed

Prince Achmed: Take me to Wak-Wak!

Well, that was pretty g0dd@mn impressive!!
I just finished watching this and I am RIGHT ON the deadline for watching a film to be added to a Pre-30s Countdown List. Which I PMd yesterday. And let me tell ya, if I was able to see this BEFORE compiling/ PMing said list; this Arabian Knights, visual delight would have shot up around ten positions from the "safe" position I placed it at.
I was originally expecting to see an important technical achievement and, therefore, for me, a lot of times, "important technical achievements" are just that and not necessarily entertaining. So, I presumed would entail so-so storytelling.

I WAS F@CKIN WRONG

Since already mentioned, let's delve a bit into the technical aspects. Using two well-stated snippets from IMDB.
The first, a quote from the primary review. The second, from "Trivia":

And, now, my blathering;

While I was expecting some detailed cutouts done in some clever way with a simplistic background, I found myself more and more amazed at just how much of an utter f@ckin understatement that was!
The ingenuity was astounding. Every continuing scene held it's own extraordinary imagery.

I was mesmerized and entranced as the story played out.

And what a delightful and engaging fantasy storytelling it was.
From early on, when the Caliph demanded of the African Magician of how to get the flying horse that continued to fly higher and higher and farther away, to come back down, and if the Prince, who was riding it, was aware of it, only to have the Magician shrug offhandedly; (which made me grin and chuckle by the "performance") I was caught up in the telling of this visually impressive adventure.
We are given an action drenched Arabian Nights saga involving the devious endeavors of a dark Magician; such as nefarious intent for the Caliph's daughter, a funny fight of four seductresses over the Prince's attention, a kidnapped Demon Princess by the Prince and their romantic tale along with the demons that pursue,
WARNING: "A Witch" spoilers below
that becomes the Prince's ally in battling both the Magician and the demons.
Along with a short narrative of Aladdin as he joins in for the great, final battle of this entertaining epic.

Going back to the Quote I copied regarding being ahead of Walt Disney, I found it amusing that this HoF includes Disney's https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057546...1?ref_=nv_sr_1. Both films involve a magical battle between a Magician and a Witch, shapeshifting into a variety of creatures.

This is THE Dark Horse, for me, of this HoF.
@ahwell, you have brought some wonderful nominations to these HoFs and this, to date, is very much an unexpected and a thoroughly enjoyable film. One I know for a fact I doubt I would have ever seen - if not for this site and my involvement in these HoFs and the various Countdowns, here.
F@ckin YAY
This was so fun to read, I'm glad you liked it!

So yeah I've put off Spirited Away rewatch but I swear I'll watch it Tuesday
lol didn't you say you like it?

I'll watch Spirited Away today. I'll give us until Sunday night to finish, think just Hash and Ed have films left. I haven't heard from @Funny Face so we will see if she sees/responds/finishes. Obviously she had a lot going on so I won't push too much.