Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Sheik (1921)

-

From the top 100 passions list and as a love story it's not bad. It's a decent watch that would offend some of the tight asses of today. Hard to tell how good an actor Rudolph Valentino was, but no denying his star power. Strange musical score that ended up being a positive.

Friday Night Movie

The Green Inferno
(2013)
3.5/5

Saturday movies

Midsommar
(2019)
3.5/5

Upgrade
(2018)
4/5

(Leigh Whannell, I love you!)

The Count of Monte Cristo
(2002)
4/5/5

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It Should Happen to You (1954)

I love this movie. I almost nominated it for the current Comedy HoF.

Wonderful film, and very exciting.There were phenomenal stop motion special effects from Willis O'Brien, who went on to do King Kong.
Yeah, most of them are fab, the only one that really doesn't look that good imo is the pterodactyl so it's a little bit of a shame it's the first one on screen.

porto - 2006

a french women and a american man fall in love in the city of porto
a love story made using visual story telling in divided sections
each section the view of each lover, the last section there collective view
the photography is oh my god, shocking this is the first international movie in porto
the light in this city is unique and perfect to make any kind of motion picture
the architecture is so much beautiful, i fell blessed i can contemplate it everyday
not trying to over brag porto because i live there, but his beauty is perfection for me
such beauty could only be compared to the beauty of the actress it cast, i'm in love
the cinematography is very good, nothing else could be expected with jim jarmush
one of the last anton yelchin, so tragic, and indeed resonated with the character

Thought it started a bit slow so I wasn't giving it my total attention. The longer I had it on the more engrossing it became until I was completely caught up in it. Aside from the slowish start the only other knock against it is listening to Donald struggle with Italian in a couple scenes. That was painful.

As usual, Mads was good without having to say much of anything. Cinematography was also good if you like a lot of white landscapes (which I do). Story was a bit ordinary - it felt like it took a bunch of ideas from other movies and pasted them together.

As usual, Mads was good without having to say much of anything. Cinematography was also good if you like a lot of white landscapes (which I do). Story was a bit ordinary - it felt like it took a bunch of ideas from other movies and pasted them together.
Frederick,

Have you seen him in "Valhalla Rising"?

Welcome to the human race...
Dave Chappelle: Sticks and Stones -

at least he was funnier when I saw him live

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Chappelle's stand-up pales in comparison to his sketchwork. I've never been a big fan. He's like a power-hitter in baseball, for every home-run, he strikes out a lot more.

I watched this last night and got a chuckle or two, which is standard fare for any special imb. The reverence he gets is a bit much.

Perfect Blue (1997) - 7/10. Loved the twists and turns in the movie. Felt a lot like another movie I watched, can't remember which one. Wonderfully crafted movie.

The Great K & A Train Robbery (1926)

-

From the top 100 westerns list and under an hour long. There's nothing deep about the story; it's just a rollicking good time. Nice outdoor filming in Colorado and impressive stunt work.

Dancer in the Dark (2000) - 8/10. I have to say got a few droplets out of my eyes. Excellently done. It is a must watch. Some of the music sequences are a little off putting but maybe that is because I was never really a fan of Bjork's weird musical style. But as a movie it was brilliant!

I have. It was the movie that introduced me to him. It is also my favorite movie of 2009.
Same here.. I found it used and watched it and loved it.... then a few days later a friend of mine asked me to watch "Pusher" with him. That was the start of my love for Mads. I have seen almost every one of his films.

The short films of his are on youtube.

Broken Blossoms (1919)

+

From the Ebert list and a very heavy movie for it's time. Lillian Gish plays a brute's daughter and suffers abuse in scenes that are terrifying. She is befriended and cared for by a "yellow man". It's a powerful film. Sometimes when white actors play non-white characters it can be distracting, sometimes not. In this case it was the former and that may be why I'm not totally in love with it. Another old film that would be condemned as offensive if it came out today. Of course I just laugh at that stuff. And was D. W. Griffith a narcissist? I've noticed in more than one of his movie his initials on the title cards. Just something I noticed.

Manderlay (2005)

At a crossroads with von Trier, perhaps that's what he intends. This is excellent I thought, original, moving and provocative.

Shadows: Dutch Schlitz's Shoes (TV, 1975) – 8/10

Bonkers, this one. Nice to hear Valentine Dyall doing the introductory voice over, with his Secret Army colleague Ron Pember appearing early on.

I expected great things from this episode because Russell Hunter was involved and I was riveted by him as soon as his character, Mr Stabs, made his entrance. I wasn't aware of the amount of power he had in his voice until I saw this, and what he's doing is actually very Shakespearean, particularly because of the poetry that Stabs' spells are cast in. This has opened up a can of worms too, because I've found out that he'd played the character before, in the series Ace of Wands (1971), but apparently the episode no longer survives (this is a familiar euphemism to cover it having been incinerated or taped over by the TV channel that owned it). The Mr Stabs character was later revived in Dramarama (1984), this time played by David Jason, with David Rappaport as his sidekick, Luko.

The Luko character seen in this Shadows episode, played by Kenneth Caswell, is now inadvertently very funny. This is because his voice and appearance exactly call to mind Russell Brand, born the year it was made . Also, the dialogue shows that Luko is clearly meant to be a dwarf (hence David Rappaport's casting mentioned above) but here Caswell looks taller than Russell Hunter and is trying his best to crumple himself up — Patrick Troughton supposedly achieved this when he was playing Quilp in The Old Curiosity Shop. There was also a notice before the episode screened, on the UK channel Talking Pictures TV, mentioning the outdated language and attitudes present in the production, and the various slights about Luko's stature, including Stabs calling him a pygmy, were obviously the bone of contention. However, Stabs is an overtly evil, if comic, character and the idea of him having such views can't really be much of a surprise to anyone.

I've been conscious of a pattern with this series of two standard story ideas: time travel or possession. This episode appears to be diverting quite considerably from its predecessors but once again both elements come into play. I'm eager to see a clear break into new territory.

Outside The Law 1926 re-release (Tod Browning, 1920)

Best watched down a dark alley imo

All very good movies.