The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Here it is online - https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/ste..._louis/s848bs/

Read the last part Vamp and i was remembering it right. Here it is in spoilers:

WARNING: "body snatcher" spoilers below
Seemingly Macfarlane was affected in the same direction; for, though he made no reply, he stopped the horse, passed the reins to his companion, got down, and proceeded to kindle the remaining lamp. They had by that time got no farther than the cross-road down to Auchenclinny. The rain still poured as though the deluge were returning, and it was no easy matter to make a light in such a world of wet and darkness. When at last the flickering blue flame had been transferred to the wick and began to expand and clarify, and shed a wide circle of misty brightness round the gig, it became possible for the two young men to see each other and the thing they had along with them. The rain had moulded the rough sacking to the outlines of the body underneath; the head was distinct from the trunk, the shoulders plainly modelled; something at once spectral and human riveted their eyes upon the ghastly comrade of their drive.

For some time Macfarlane stood motionless, holding up the lamp. A nameless dread was swathed, like a wet sheet, about the body, and tightened the white skin upon the face of Fettes; a fear that was meaningless, a horror of what could not be, kept mounting to his brain. Another beat of the watch, and he had spoken. But his comrade forestalled him.

‘That is not a woman,’ said Macfarlane, in a hushed voice.

‘It was a woman when we put her in,’ whispered Fettes.

‘Hold that lamp,’ said the other. ‘I must see her face.’

And as Fettes took the lamp his companion untied the fastenings of the sack and drew down the cover from the head. The light fell very clear upon the dark, well-moulded features and smooth-shaven cheeks of a too familiar countenance, often beheld in dreams of both of these young men. A wild yell rang up into the night; each leaped from his own side into the roadway: the lamp fell, broke, and was extinguished; and the horse, terrified by this unusual commotion, bounded and went off toward Edinburgh at a gallop, bearing along with it, sole occupant of the gig, the body of the dead and long-dissected Gray.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Here it is online - https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/ste..._louis/s848bs/

Read the last part Vamp and i was remembering it right. Here it is in spoilers:

Seemingly Macfarlane was affected in the same direction; for, though he made no reply, he stopped the horse, passed the reins to his companion, got down, and proceeded to kindle the remaining lamp. They had by that time got no farther than the cross-road down to Auchenclinny. The rain still poured as though the deluge were returning, and it was no easy matter to make a light in such a world of wet and darkness. When at last the flickering blue flame had been transferred to the wick and began to expand and clarify, and shed a wide circle of misty brightness round the gig, it became possible for the two young men to see each other and the thing they had along with them. The rain had moulded the rough sacking to the outlines of the body underneath; the head was distinct from the trunk, the shoulders plainly modelled; something at once spectral and human riveted their eyes upon the ghastly comrade of their drive.

For some time Macfarlane stood motionless, holding up the lamp. A nameless dread was swathed, like a wet sheet, about the body, and tightened the white skin upon the face of Fettes; a fear that was meaningless, a horror of what could not be, kept mounting to his brain. Another beat of the watch, and he had spoken. But his comrade forestalled him.

‘That is not a woman,’ said Macfarlane, in a hushed voice.

‘It was a woman when we put her in,’ whispered Fettes.

‘Hold that lamp,’ said the other. ‘I must see her face.’

And as Fettes took the lamp his companion untied the fastenings of the sack and drew down the cover from the head. The light fell very clear upon the dark, well-moulded features and smooth-shaven cheeks of a too familiar countenance, often beheld in dreams of both of these young men. A wild yell rang up into the night; each leaped from his own side into the roadway: the lamp fell, broke, and was extinguished; and the horse, terrified by this unusual commotion, bounded and went off toward Edinburgh at a gallop, bearing along with it, sole occupant of the gig, the body of the dead and long-dissected Gray.
When I read that again, that ending is exactly what helped to make this story one of the best horror stories that I have ever read. It has been awhile since I have seen the movie. But I kind of remember what you said it was, and I think that is what kind of spoiled the ending in the film for me. I wanted it to be more like the original. It is a slight change, but it was enough to where I would've appreciated it if they hadn't done it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
thanks for posting that, the only Stevenson I ever read, as a kid, was Treasure Island. Must of been around 8 or so when I did.

When I read that again, that ending is exactly what helped to make this story one of the best horror stories that I have ever read. It has been awhile since I have seen the movie. But I kind of remember what you said it was, and I think that is what kind of spoiled the ending in the film for me. I wanted it to be more like the original. It is a slight change, but it was enough to where I would've appreciated it if they hadn't done it.
I agree. The films ending isn't bad at all, actually if the story didn't exist it would have been very good but the book one is better. Here is exactly what happens in the films ending, if you are planning on rewatching it anytime soon just don't read this of course:

They get the body which is clearly a woman. Then while riding Macfarlane here's Gray's voice calling his nickname for MacFarlane "Toddy" so he stops the carriage and asks Fettes if he heard anything he said he did not. They start riding again and then MacFarlane hears "never get rid of me, never get rid of me, never get rid of me..." (it sounds like it's going along with the noise of the carriage and the horses hooves which is why i found it unintenionally funny) so he stops the carriage again and checks the body, it's Gray. Then the horses get scared by lightning and the carriage goes over a cliff, Fettes then looks down and sees MacFarlanes body next to a womans.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've seen both The Letter and King Size Canary, and I like both, but neither made my list.

The Letter is a good, solid film, can't remember King Size Canary at all tbh though I probably watched it at least once in my youth .... neither made my list

Faildictions:
96. Road To Rio
95. Saboteur

The Letter is a good, solid film, can't remember King Size Canary at all tbh though I probably watched it at least once in my youth .... neither made my list

Faildictions:
96. Road To Rio
95. Saboteur
Saboteur is an interesting guess. Wonder how many Hitchcock's will make it. Think there's four locks: Rebecca, Notorious, Shadow of a Doubt and Rope. A few others could make it.

Yeah, even with limiting my Hitchcocks, he still got on mine 3 times.
Same. I wasn't actually limiting him though, those were just the three that made it for me. Watched 6/12 of his 1940's films so far.

Saboteur is an interesting guess. Wonder how many Hitchcock's will make it. Think there's four locks: Rebecca, Notorious, Shadow of a Doubt and Rope. A few others could make it.
Was thinking maybe, perhaps, it's just possible that 36 or 37 people had it as their one-pointer (on the basis it could sneak into the honourable mentions) not realising so many others had actually done the same .... you never know, might happen

Was thinking maybe, perhaps, it's just possible that 36 or 37 people had it as their one-pointer (on the basis it could sneak into the honourable mentions) not realising so many others had actually done the same .... you never know, might happen
That's what must have happened to my one pointer - yes i tried for one.

Pretty much any Hitch film making it wouldn't surprise me. He's probably the most watched director from the 40's and 50's here and is obviously really popular. From a quick count just now he had six films on the 50's list all in the top 50, 3 in the top ten.

Pretty much any Hitch film making it wouldn't surprise me. He's probably the most watched director from the 40's and 50's here and is obviously really popular. From a quick count just now he had six films on the 50's list all in the top 50, 3 in the top ten.
Fifties was stronger in depth for Hitch than the forties imo though .... but it'll be interesting to see what turns up in this countdown, and what doesn't, because part of it does come down to who has watched what and as you rightly say Hitch is a very popular director.

Fifties was stronger in depth for Hitch than the forties imo though .... but it'll be interesting to see what turns up in this countdown, and what doesn't, because part of it does come down to who has watched what and as you rightly say Hitch is a very popular director.
I'm hoping for Rope to make it.

I'd be somewhat surprised if it doesn't.

It will. It already would have made it but it was also in the 1940's HoF Part I where it finished higher than Shadow of a Doubt iirc. We've seen in previous Countdowns that the HoF's usually do play a part in getting films on these Countdowns.

I'd be somewhat surprised if it doesn't.
Rope was arrived in the later part of my Hitchcock discovery trip, and I would often argue its case as one of the best Hitchcocks with friends. Here, I was pleased to see it well loved.

Unregistered User
I'm absolutely delighted King Size Canary made it. Mostly on a selfish basis I do have to add. I used to love this as a kid but totally forgot all about it. Cant wait to watch it again now. Thanks to whoever voted for it!

Awesome. Only seen 50% so far - I get the feeling I'll have a lot of movies-to-watch ideas once this is done. Also really liking the presentation, @SilentVamp. Great work! And great discussion in the thread so far - more than we've typically seen in countdowns. I give it all...

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Rope was arrived in the later part of my Hitchcock discovery trip, and I would often argue its case as one of the best Hitchcocks with friends. Here, I was pleased to see it well loved.
I had four Hitchcock's on my list, but I'll save 'em for later when they appear in the countdown.