Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Tools    

Just like I thought it would, the black stormtrooper at the beginning of The Force Awakens trailer has caused controversy:
This shows how arbitrary politically correctness controversies are.

I can see the same people arguing that the previous films were "racist" for not having enough black characters; now apparently it's including a black character which is "racist".

Flavor of the day I guess

Right, By the logic generated from this, people should have been up in arms when they saw Lando Calrissian or Mace Windu for the first time.
It's the fact that this black stormtrooper was the first thing you really saw in the trailer... besides the sand desert... that I thought stood out and was going to cause a reaction. Him being the very first thing you see was something about it, I thought.

It's the fact that this black stormtrooper was the first thing you really saw in the trailer... besides the sand desert... that I thought stood out and was going to cause a reaction. Him being the very first thing you see was something about it, I thought.
And why is that?

And why is that?
I found it a little jarring for some reason. That surprised me. It's like... it's not what I expected to see first. And I thought, if I can think this way, I know others are probably gonna think that way, too. That's why I felt it was gonna spark something.

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
But what sparked the ire was the notion that there were no black stormtroopers, and seeing one caused negative feedback, and that is ignorant. The same logic that would say that Samuel L Jackson can not be a Jedi because we have not previously seen a black jedi.

How do we know he IS a Stormtrooper? I assumed he had just put on the costume similar to how Luke and Han did in in first Star Wars.

But what sparked the ire was the notion that there were no black stormtroopers, and seeing one caused negative feedback, and that is ignorant. The same logic that would say that Samuel L Jackson can not be a Jedi because we have not previously seen a black jedi.
Eh. These people may think it's about that notion, but, I bet it's probably not. They probably just don't wanna admit that seeing the black stormtrooper at all surprised them.

there's a frog in my snake oil

I found it a little jarring for some reason. That surprised me. It's like... it's not what I expected to see first. And I thought, if I can think this way, I know others are probably gonna think that way, too. That's why I felt it was gonna spark something.
I'm from Ferguson MO and I hate black stormtroopers!

That may have been a bit much.

The only thing that I found jarring was the fact that it was a stormtrooper without his helmet. Other than Luke and Han, that was never seen in the original trilogy so it was an unique shot to open with. The fact that it was a black person who doesn't look like Jango Fett didn't bother me. In fact, it barely registered at all. I was always under the assumption that stormtroopers weren't all clones because Luke talks about going to the Imperial academy or whatever in the beginning of A New Hope and I'm sure all n00bz in the imperial army become stormtroopers before they get to do anything cool...

How do we know he IS a Stormtrooper?
Well actually ....

WARNING: "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" spoilers below
John Boyega plays a stormtrooper who deserts the rest of his group, and teams up with Daisy Ridley’s character.

That's one of the reasons why you see him looking so dazed and confused in the teaser.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I cant wait for this film! I maybe in the minority but I think the new lightsaber is awesome, I dont get the hate its been getting.

Also this-

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
As if I needed to be anymore excited to see Ultron.