Aeon flux dvd set

Tools    

yeah my roomate does! LOL
I don't know.
Is it Captain Howdy?

pretty cool though i am trying to broaden the things i watch.. tired of the normal movie theater type, and i am really getting into the anime! not to far though.....LOL

Colour out of Time
Great series and like most anime incomprehensible in many places.

I havn't seen, but didn't they moviefy the series, maybe with Angelina Joli starring ???

Have you seen, any good???

The cartoon series originally aired on MTV as part of another show called Liquid Television in 1992. There were six shorts in all. In 1995 a 10 episode season came out on the same network. Hence the reason some of the episodes you see are shorter than the others. It was a fantastically trippy and psychedelic ride which to most made no sense. I thought it was one of the coolest things I had ever seen on MTV at that time and if you watch MTV today that still holds true.

In 2005 the mostly forgettable movie version came (inevitably) and despite it being carried by a true beauty named Charlize Theron it totally lacked the queer charm that the earlier cartoon series had. I of course bought it and I have watched it more than once but I tend to put the cartoon series on more often than not when I need an Aeon Flux fix.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My brother wrote two episodes for "Aeon Flux"'s third season, Isthmus Crypticus and Ether Drift Theory. We were both living at my parent's house at the time, and I met Peter Chung. He and Todd would have "story conferences" outside in our front yard at night. It was a bit unorthodox, but so was Peter Chung.

My brother wrote two episodes for "Aeon Flux"'s third season, Isthmus Crypticus and Ether Drift Theory. We were both living at my parent's house at the time, and I met Peter Chung. He and Todd would have "story conferences" outside in our front yard at night. It was a bit unorthodox, but so was Peter Chung.

Man that is like one of the coolest things I've ever heard. Did you ever get to talk to Peter Chung much? He must have been a very interesting fellow to say the least. Your brother too for that matter. I'm Green with envy right now...

Okay, so, I bought Aeon Flux on DVD the other day, mentioned this in another thread, and Mark brought my attention to this one. Obviously, like PW, I find the fact that his brother wrote two of the series' episodes to be exceptionally cool.

I haven't watched it all through yet -- just the first episode, which means the first episode his brother wrote is actually up next. I'll watch it when I get home today.

So...I barely know where to start. How'd your brother come to write for the show? Did he share in Chung's rather odd vision, or was it just a writing job? Was he upset when it ended? Was it particularly difficult to write in a way that jibed with the others? Naturally, if any of these questions are seemed overly personal or probing, please feel free to ignore them! I'm just hyper-curious about this, since it's so random, and the series is so strange.

My brother is rather strange too, but what would you expect since I'm not just his brother but something resembling his father. Todd has written for sci-fi/horror magazines as a critic, reviewer, interviewer (he interviewed Anthony Perkins both on set and on the telephone), short story writer and poet. He's also sold a film script although it's never been shot. Basically what happened was that Chung let it be known that he was changing the format of the show and was looking for writers, so Todd sent him some of his more offbeat material and Chung wanted to interview him for a couple of the scriptwriting jobs.They hit it off because yes, they shared a somewhat skewed sensibility. Todd was just given a very basic story idea for both scripts (something less than a paragraph), and it was up to him to flesh them out. When you watch his two episodes, you'll see that Todd's material is rather far out, even for "Aeon Flux".

As I mentioned before, Peter Chung would come over to the house to discuss the scripts after Todd sent him the first drafts. I would meet and greet Chung at the door, but he never once set foot in the house, at least not whenever I was there. Instead, as I said above, I'd get Todd and they would talk about changes which Chung wanted out in the front yard, usually at night. Since the animation couldn't begin until the script was finished, Chung would usually come over twice for each episode, and it would often take a long time to see the end results. To be honest, I'm not sure why Chung didn't have these discussions over the phone. He's a pretty emotional guy, so sometimes I could hear some raised voices, but there wasn't anything ever resembling yelling or a loud argument. Sure, Todd was disappointed that the show ended abruptly, but the costs of production became very high, so even if it was a cult hit, it didn't really generate enough revenue to be able to continue at the same level of quality. Chung said that he hoped to scale back and perhaps make shorter episodes again, but that never happened, and as far as I know, Todd hasn't had any contact with him since the show went off the air.

That's awfully cool, Mark. Chung does sound like an odd duck. I'm looking at his IMDB page now and am somewhat unsurprised to see that he created one of the shorts for The Animatrix. I think I remember the one in question ("Matriculated"), and thinking back on its style, I'm surprised I didn't guess that he was involved. Or maybe I did, and forgot.

By the by, I think IMDB is failing to credit your brother properly, as he isn't listed as a writer for the two episodes in question -- lame! I know IMDB can be really sketchy, especially with TV shows and individual episodes and all that. Probably not worth bugging them about, but I just thought I'd mention it. Or maybe he's using a stage name of sorts and I'm just an idiot.

Anyway, I might be putting you on the spot here, but what did you think of the show? What was it like watching the episodes your bother wrote? I imagine it must have been surreal. Or, at least, more surreal than the show already is.

I liked the show a lot. I had already read the scripts long before the shows aired, so it was strange to see where they had changed or edited out something. Plus, sometimes reading the script, I couldn't really visualize what it would look like, even with Todd explaining it, so it was always a surprise when I'd see it and say something like, "That's what you were trying to describe? Wow, it looks different than I imagined." To get into any specific details, I really need to borrow Todd's set and rewatch the episodes because it's probably been 10 years since I've watched them, so I don't want to say anything I'd have to take back later. I will come back and post some specific thoughts, at least on those two episodes, after I watch them ASAP. I was trying to watch them on the net, but it's just too frustrating because I can't get the visuals to work properly.

Just FYI, I ended up getting sidetracked after watching a few episodes years ago. Unfortunately, it was long enough ago that I'll have to start over, but I probably will sometime in the next few weeks. Looking forward to it.