Music: It's All Rose Tinted Glasses

Tools    

I hardly ever post in the music/TV forum... but here goes.

I don't listen to new music, haven't done since Freddie Mercury died... the closest I get to actually hearing new stuff, was when I worked at a factory that made cassettes and CDs in the late 90s and early 2000s.
Working there and listening to the music of the time, killed any and all enthusiasm I might have had.

The radio these days, which I have the kitchen to keep my budgie occupied, also, plays complete garbage.

I have a back catalogue of Queen, AC~DC and Aerosmith of course, but nothing from modern times. Nothing from the late 1980s.

The point... Freeview TV in the UK, has a 1980s music channel and a 1970s music channel.
And I've been watching them for the past couple days.

I looked back at 80s and 70s music, as a time when music was actually good and that it hasn't been at all good since then.
1990s, was all garbage, 2000s was worse, and music today is an insult.

But, watching these 2 new channels... I've realised that 1970s and 1980s music, was just as bad.

Rose tinted glasses, man.

Anyone else feel the same?
Or is it just that I've had my glasses removed?

Welcome to the human race...
Sturgeon's Law, man. 90% of everything is crap (especially the back catalogues of AC/DC and Aerosmith).

Mebbe you just don't like music much in general, mebbe it's just not your thing. As far as I'm concerned there's plenty of awesome music out there from all eras ... but then I wholeheartedly and unabashedly love music that I can connect to in some way and rather than just listen to the stuff that is fed to the masses (much of which is not to my taste) I actively seek out what, to me, is the decent stuff.

I agree with Iro, Sturgeon and Chypmunk. For me it's maybe 80% crap, and the good to great 20% stuff you have to really search for with a chance you'll never find it amidst the crap.

I just didn't realise how bad 70s and 80s music actually was until watching these channels.

Might be down to the fact that the stuff I did listen to, I was either too young to realise it was crap, or I was actually listening to the good stuff and just labelled the rest as also being decent.

Welcome to the human race...
Well, that's personal growth for you, I guess. I'm with Chypmunk on this one - every decade has its fair share of excellent music but (just as with films) the overlap between what's good and what's popular/mainstream/accessible isn't that big to begin with so you really do have to go out of your way to dig up something you like more than whatever is curated by music stations (retro or otherwise) to please the widest possible variety of listeners.

The title of this thread is an essay waiting to happen.

I feel there's good stuff in every era, the only thing is that we're so exposed to all the good music from other eras that we never get to listen to the turkeys of that era. Compared to now, you're hearing everything and liking/hating a mix.

That being said, present day music is quite underwhelming compared to previous decades.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I hardly ever post in the music/TV forum... but here goes.

Rose tinted glasses, man.

Anyone else feel the same?
Or is it just that I've had my glasses removed?

Maybe you're just listening to the wrong music. Try some classic country music instead.

Every rose-tinted glass has its rose-tinted thorn . . .