Glitter's DVD Reviews

Tools    

So here's the snitch- I figured that starting a DVD review thread would be a good idea. 1) It's a very over looked and under used review 2) I think it may be useful to some people, if at least one person. I am basically going to write a review on a recently released DVD based on it's content in a variety of categories. I'd also include a link to a movie review for the movie (preferably by one of the fine reviewers we have here at MoFo's). Along with release dates for the U.K, OZ and N.Z along with the best prices to be found on the net. At the end of each review I'll anounce the next movie and the U.S release date (since that is going to be around the time when I'lll be reviewing it)

I will always feature new releases or special edition releases of DVD's that I feel people here are most likely to want to buy or rent. I will do my best to view the DVD in both widescreen and fullscreen but i may not always be able too.

I am not sure how this is going to work out, but my first review will be up tomorrow for the 'Tenth Anniversary Edition: Schindler's List' which is in stores now.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
Great idea

I'll be looking forward to your review.

An American In Paris ****/*****
Once Upon A Time In China *****/*****
Father of the Bride ****/*****
Spartacus *****/*****
The Hidden Fortress ****/*****

You can view my review for each of those films at T-850's Reviews

At first I thought you were going to compile reviews of the DVD release for Glitter, I'm slightly disappointed.

Originally Posted by Philmster
At first I thought you were going to compile reviews of the DVD release for Glitter, I'm slightly disappointed.
Lol. I had the same thought when I read the thread's title

Originally Posted by allthatglitters
So here's the snitch- I figured that starting a DVD review thread would be a good idea. 1) It's a very over looked and under used review 2) I think it may be useful to some people, if at least one person. I am basically going to write a review on a recently released DVD based on it's content in a variety of categories. I'd also include a link to a movie review for the movie (preferably by one of the fine reviewers we have here at MoFo's). Along with release dates for the U.K, OZ and N.Z along with the best prices to be found on the net. At the end of each review I'll anounce the next movie and the U.S release date (since that is going to be around the time when I'lll be reviewing it)

I will always feature new releases or special edition releases of DVD's that I feel people here are most likely to want to buy or rent. I will do my best to view the DVD in both widescreen and fullscreen but i may not always be able too.

I am not sure how this is going to work out, but my first review will be up tomorrow for the 'Tenth Anniversary Edition: Schindler's List' which is in stores now.
Good idea

'Schindler's List' a film by Steven Speilberg

Directed by Steven Speilberg

Screenplay by Steven Zaillian

based on the book by Thomas Keneally

Starring: Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley, Ralph Fiennes, Caroline Goodall and Embeth Davidtz

Rated: R

Summary: During World War II German businessman Oskar Schindler(Liam Neeson) owns a enamel pot factory using Jewish workers from the labor camp Plaszow in Poland. After seeing the suffereing in the camp he tries his best along with his accountant Itzhak Stern (Ben Kingsley) to keep his workers safe. Compiling a list of 1,200 Jews, men, women, children, he brought them to a "camp" in Czchlozovakia where they were liberated when the war was over.

Note: I couldn't find a review that I felt would help in telling what the film was like. But I am still looking, and if I can't find one, I will write my own.

Release Dates: From what I can tell, the DVD which is available in Anamorphic Widescreen and Fullframe, was internationally released on March 9. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Prices: You can buy both widescreen and fullframe versions here

The Good Stuff: This DVD did have some drawbacks, first of all it was a flip side disc, which although not the end of the worl some what annoying. It also didn't have quite as many extras as you would expect from a first-time-ever-on-DVD release and a 10th anniversary at that. But all is mended when you watch the 1:17 minutes of 'The Voices of the Survivors'. They Shoah foundation interviewed survivors from Schindler's list and compiled them into this documentary you could call it. The actual people whose stories you just watched in an absolutely amazing film talking about what it was like. It's such a must to watch because suddenly you go from watching the people then and then seeing what became of them and how they are affected today. It was incredible. Very educating but so interesting and just wonderfully done, they definately make up for lack of bonus features with it.

Along with that there was a short feature talking about 'The Shoah Foundation' and it's purposes, almost sort of like a short promotion video. Nothing really special. Also indepth biographies for most of the cast and crew and a very well researched biography on Oskar Schindler. Now that I look at this again I realized that it would almost seem weird to have audio commentaries. Because it would almost be wrong to talk about how it was filmed because it seems so real on screen that you feel as if your there and that to be listening to a commentary that talked about how it was shot and all would make the film seem so fake as opposed to how real it seems while your watching it.

Who should by this film? I would consider it a must for film buffs and anybody who is interested in the holocaust.

Overall a **** out of *****
Due to the lack of a bonus features that one would expect out of a special release, especially the lack of cast interviews and audio commentaries.

Next DVD Review: It's a toss between '21 Grams', 'Veronica Guerin' and 'Belles on their Toes' i think I might end up doing all of them which are all released in the US on March 16th

Great review! I really enjoyed reading it. I too look forward to reading more

Sweet!

May I make a suggestion? Maybe have a seperate rating for the movie and the extra's. Premier magazine does it that way and it's quite informative of the overall quality.

I look forward to more DVD reviews. I hope you're rich enough to keep my massive movie appetite satiated.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

A system of cells interlinked
ATG, you seem to rock

reps for ye!

[EDIT]I gave you a dot!![EDIT]

I'm not old, you're just 12.
*AHEM*

As an appointed representative for Allthatglitters, I have been told to let you know that she will be back sometime around the end of April and that she misses you all.

Thank you.

OK. So to celebrate my return the next DVD review will be quite apropos- 'Return of the King'....err look for it next monday with a new and improved and hopefully not complicated format (hey i had to do something while i was grounded)

I don't mean to be a troublemaker and it's not like I am grounded for being a wild child, just sometimes my mind escapes me and i say and do things that I shouldn't or I don't say and do things I should. Either way I can't win. My wonderful loving caring parents (no sarcasm- remember discipline is for my own good ) have blocked this most excellant establishment of a site exactly 16 times. Now you may say that it seems like I've only been gone like two or three times...but no. All the other 13 times have been when my parents have unblocked them and before I could get on- I got grounded- AGAIN! This is the first time since NOVEMBER that i've had all my privileges at once. I think I am cursed- really when I got my cellphone for christmas I got it taken away 45 minutes after I opened it. Well thatw as because they found out I already knew about it- I got it back in two weeks.

Oh yes what this is really about- I've had that silly ROTK DVD review written since the weekendd it came out- but I think i lost the file so I am re-writing it. I am also going to probably do 'The Passion of the Christ' and prehaps 'Band of Brothers' just because I haven't seen it yet and it's sitting on my shelf all pretty and shiny and cute-well not cute but cool looking. I know it's not new- but I am covering world war II next monday in history and I want to have visual media to fall back on.

I've only been grounded a couple times but i never got stuff taken away. What did you do so bad you got your phone taken away 45 times and this lovely site blocked 16 times? I'll Read your reviews when they are posted. Cant wait to read the Band of Brothers review.....

'Return of the King' a cinematic acheivement

Directed by Peter Jackson

Screenplay by Fran Walsh, Phillippa Boyens and Peter Jackson

based on the books by the distinguished Professor J.R.R Tolkien

Starring: Elijha Wood, Sean Astin, Viggo Mortenson, Ian McKellan, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, Orlando Bloom, John-Rhyes Davies, Hugo Weaving, Liv Tyler, Bernard Hill, Miranda Otto, Karl Urban, John Noble, David Wenham and the voice talent and genius of Andy Serkis[/b]

Rated: PG-13

Summary:This was the final installment in one of the most sucessful trilogies of all time. 'ROTK' follows a huge cast of charcters in their final journey in saving middle earth from the dark forces of Sauron. Hobbits, Frodo Baggins (Wood) and Samwise Gamgee (Astin) slowly make their way to the cracks of Mount Doom with their guide (s) Smeagol/Gollum (Serkis). While our two brave halflings face mortal and moral peril, the rest of Middle Earth looks to the wizard Gandalf the White (McKellan) for help. Only days after the battle of Helms Deep, Gandalf calls upon King Theoden (Hill) of Rohan to go and aide the steward of Gondor, Denether II (Noble). Riding towards Minas Tirith with an inquisitive mischevious hobbit Pippin (Boyd) Gandalf recieves relieving news from the stewards son, Faramir (Wenham) that Frodo and Sam are alive. With the help of Pippin's nimble knack for climbing, Gondor's beacons are lit and Rohan prepares for war. Rallying Rohan's forces Theodens nephew and niece, Eomer (Urban) and Eowyn (Otto) along with the remaining fellowship Aragorn (Mortensen), Legolas (Bloom), Gimli (Davies) and our last lovable hobbit Merry (Monoghan) ride to the Dunharrow encampment. As the final battle for middle earth is on the brink, the immortal who saw it all, Lord Elrond of Rivendell (Weaving) in a desperate attempt for his daughter Arwen's (Tyler) happiness reforges the sword of Andruil which belongs to Aragorn- the future king. Aragorn, legolas and Gimli go on a chilling path to get more men as the rest engage in full war on the fields of Pellenor.

Release Dates: it's been out for ages....

Prices: You can buy the widescreen edition at Amazon and the fullscreen edition here as well.

Now of course many people (including myself) feel dorky when you buy the theatrical DVD about six months before the extended edition comes (hereafter referred to as the ROTK:EE) alot of you don't buy it at all waiting for the ROTK:EE. But for those who just can't wait (or don't care) heres the scoop on the ROTK DVD.

DVD Art: This really has nothing to do with the actual content of the DVD- but it sure does alot in making an all-around asthetically pleasing product. As alway the cover art, CD art and menus are of the extraordinary sort earning a score of 5 *

Picture and Sound: As always the quality of the LOTR DVD's picture and sound has been above par. The sound which was available in Digital Dolby EX 5.1 and surround is clear and delivers dialogue that is audible and music that is inspiring. The picture is well picture perfect- with a smooth coloring and on camera movement that is free of blurs (except for maybe the fair Lady Eoywn's hair...er...and our dear leggy's as well). Another 5!!!

The Good Stuff:: Even though I know that the 'ROTK:EE' will be fabulous, I couldn't help but feeling a tad bit dissapointed with the theatrical editions special features. I suppose it was nice receiving the DVD a few months earlier than normal, but no 'ROTK:EE' preview? Tut, tut. There was the usual batch of lordoftherings.net Featurettes- but all of these had been on the internet for months. After those and the original trailer and TV spots along with an enjoyable LOTR supertrailer you had a special look at the EA LOTR video game series. Yet again I felt that I had already seen or read teh same information on the internet.

The special features had three 'in-depth' specials; 'The Quest Fufilled: A Director's Vision', 'A Filmmaker's journey: Making The Return of the King' and a 'National geographic Special- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of a King '. Once again a mondo dissapointment,while it was always enjoyable to watch something on my favorite trilogy, I found all three specials to be very repetitive often using the exact same interviews and quotes! I am comforted though by the fact that i know we won't have the same dissapointment with 'ROTK:EE' I still have to give it a 5

Overall the DVD is rated at a **** 1/2 and the film is hands down a *****

Name:	1804738130p.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	3216  

Great Review im getting the Extended Version Nov.

Zzat- look at the 'What DVD's do you have thread?' if I have an hour to find all my DVD's one day i'lll post them up

Band of Brothers

hmmm- d'you know this thing is like 6 disks? Well if I watch one every night (skipping Tuesday because I am going to be at Magic Mountain) I'll still be able to maintain my school work and get this done by Saturday. Until then here's the most slaysciouslyilliant review on 'Band of Brothers' by LordSlaytan