Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

→ in
Tools    

Well I stuck to my guns and actually avoided seeing this one, which is pretty impressive considering I will see absolute filth just for a chance at some movie popcorn. I decided to stay home and rent some quality flicks like Cast Away, Hard Boiled, and O Brother Where Art Thou... but I am wondering if any of ya'll saw it and what everyone thought.

Its not out in UK yet but I will probably see it when it does . I want to see Laras boobies. I heard they sorta grow to DD & then shrink to C throughouts the movie & then there is that shower scene. The stone ape things look lame & so does that spinnin globe gizmo. They stole that from Event horizon.

Sorry PLite: it's PG-13, and there's no blatant nudity. The shower scene is certainly gratuitous, make no mistake about that. She acts sensuously and of course you get the ever-popular sidal nudity (it's becoming awfully popular, because you can get away with it, even on TV).

Jolie looks the part, and acts the part, quite well. If you're going only for Jolie, you probably won't be too dissapointed. I personally went for the whole movie, and the only word that comes to mind is "decent."

At the end of basically EVERY action sequence, I thought "They could have done a lot more with that." That's how things are basically: some parts are awfully cool, but this movie had loads of potential.

Anyway, as soon as I finish this post I'm going to edit the thread title (correct the movie name...sorry, I'm picky about thoe kinds of things). Oh, and I predict it'll bring in about $47 million this opening weekend.

WOW! hahahah.. I actually remember my password - went to see the movie with my sis and mom. Truth, wait till it comes out on video and rent it, there are some movies that you just HAVE to see on the big screen and this is not one of them. I am sure they put a lot of hype and all into it but sadly, it did not do good. Angelina was delicious in the movie BUT she was no Lara Croft. Someone mentioned who her bust in the movie was like DD, then C and then .. something... heheh! no kidding, it was like one of that inflatable auto pilot in flying high.!!
The action scenes and EVERYTHING were very corny and a real Indiana Jones wanna be.
The only good thing I got out of the movie was I got to see the preview for Final Fantasy - WOoo LA! That's one movie I wanna get out on DVD!
DoomsDay

I hated this movie. The only good thing about it was seeing Angelina Jolie(whatever). The action scenes were so horrible and so many useless things were done in them. I can't even describe all of the wholes in the movie that I found.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
well of course the movie was cheesy, but I went for a little action and found it fun. i wasn't looking for a storyline, and didn't get a very good one.

jolie overdid it with her i'm such a playful, tough little girl ... i just want my daddy back but i know I look damn good. and her breasts kept doing this weird jiggle thing when she ran.

the shower scenes were totally unnecessary though, they were so obvious, so without taste. but then again, we shouldn't expect such things from a flick based off a video game based off male desires for an impossible body on a woman who blazes guns and has fun fulfilling their adolescent desires ...

Oh come on people! This movie is on the same level as the first Mummy, an enjoyable popcorn flick. You can analyze it for plot holes, etc, but what's the point? It's content to be what it is. It doesn't attempt to make any sort of profound statement, it knows how goofy and cheesy it is. It's just a hell of a good time at the theater. I was blown away by the visuals, and Angelina Jolie is, as always, SEXY! The action pieces were good, and the movie should be nominated for the art direction Oscar. The images were terrific. Anyone who didn't like this but liked the first Mummy obviously had preconceived notions about it before they saw it. They're one and the same, enjoyable popcorn movies that are a rompin' good time at the theater.

See, I liked The Mummy -- but for an action flick, it sure was boring. Not nearly exciting enough. The Mummy Returns was far superior for pure action and excitement. Tomb Raider is a bit below The Mummy in terms of excitement.

I don't care about the plot too much -- all I do care about is that it's exciting, and there weren't too many points in Tomb Raider where I was excited, or really, really enjoying myself. Like I said, it was as if each scene could have been better -- as if it were a bit unpolished.

By the way, regarding the shower scene being described as pointless and gratuitous...THAT'S THE POINT! If Lara Croft is somewhat meant to satisfy adolescent sexual fantasies, then the movie pulls it off quite nicely.

Yeah, but it could have been tongue-in-cheek or something, as if it knew what was going on. A self-aware shower scene, basically. I'm not saying it doesn't "fit" with the movie (it does), but it, like every other scene in the movie, could have been done better. I would've enjoyed a funny remark from the butler to illustrate how ridiculously sensual she was acting, for example. That's what his character is there for.

Well ,what would the butler have said-- Madam, have you an itch?

Hey, I'm not a writer. Anyway, my problem with that scene is incredibly minor. If the rest of the movie had capitalized on it's potential, I wouldn't have even brought it up.

All I'm saying is that the movie did what it wanted to do well. Sure, it could have been better, just like Jurassic Park, Braveheart, Gladiator, Casablanca-ANY movie. But it accomplished what it was supposed to, and did it terrifically.

And that's the thing. The movie IS cheesy. But it knows it's cheesy, like The Mummy. (And on a side note, The Mummy Returns' main mistake WAS taking itself seriously. There was none of the charm of the first movie) It's like the Indiana Jones movies, only not as good.

Obviously all movies can be made better -- I wouldn't have said it could have been better if it weren't in need of significant modification. During Jurassic Park, several times, I nearly gasped. I wanted to say "woah" at the end of oseveral scenes.

With Tomb Raider, that simply did not happen. I didn't break a sweat, I didn't really care about the outcome, or anything like that. I don't know why, and I'm not expecting a plot either, but I do think the action sequences were entirely too un-interesting. Imagine how much FUN the robot scene in the beginning could have been.

Well, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider has passed the $100 million (it's at around $107 million) mark, making over $10 million this past weeked, and another $2 million or so on the Fourth of July alone. It's a success.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
This is what happens when a Video Game is made into a movie. You are expecting this this and this, but they couldn't do those things because well no human can. Granted Lara Croft is no superhero, she can't stop bullets, or fly or things like that, but you are forgeting that its a video game and on any video game movie you're most likely gonna get a director thats never done a feature film before and doesn't really know too much about the whole thing, but I'm not saying Final Fantasy will be a dissapointment cause it won't, cause it's stickin with what made it. The computer. It might be doing well just because it has Jolie in it, but that's about it. From what I heard it was an equivalant to trailer park trash, which is what Jolie is now(who else would marry a guy by the name of Billy Bob)
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

wow a whole 100 million why dont they just stick to making games of tomb raider i mean film companys reguarly make more money on the games made of a film so why even bother to make a film of a game that has 2 good scenes where she is taking a shower and the one where the Bad guys attack her mansion.

MovieForums Extra
I saw this movie not long ago...

What can I say, I went in with moderate expectations, and I wasn't dissapointed! (that should be the philosophy of all film critics)! Personally, I'm a fan of the Tomb Raider series of games, so to see Angelina Jolie do her stuff was absolutely awesome. The action scenes were good, some were a bit hard to believe, but then again, I didn't go to watch a drama If you want that, rent the Godfather!

Other than that, the movie is "fun", light viewing, designed to kill an hour or two of your life, and if that's what you were expecting, then you wouldn't have been dissapointed!