A Knight's Tale

→ in
Tools    

A Knight's Tale won't be winning any Oscars anytime soon, but neither will it be a disappointment at the box office. It is a pretty typical popcorn movie full of corny dialogue, action, humor, and even a recycled plot. But despite all of this, A Knight's Tale still manages to deliver two solid hours of entertainment, though it probably is worth waiting to see on DVD.

The story focuses on a brave young squire named William, (Heath Ledger) who decides to impersonate his dead master in order to win a jousting tournament. After his success he convinces his fellow squires that it would be a good idea for them to create a royal identity and travel the land competing in tournaments and wooing fair maidens along the way.

Now before people start emailing me telling me that I am one of those 'anal-retentive bastard' critics I claim to hate, I feel that I should say one thing. I do realize that this film wasn't supposed to be a period piece along the lines of Braveheart and Gladiator (supposedly), but come on!!! a little realism would have been nice. I knew I was in trouble when the opening sequence had a crowd singing "We Will, We Will, Rock You". Luckily I had seen the previews and was expecting it at some point, just not right away. What I really was not prepared for was the new lows this film would strive for in cheesiness. I'm sorry, but the dialogue was absolutely hilarious, particularly the scenes where Ledger and his cohort's were composing a love letter. The Nike Swoosh on the armor just about sent me into the aisle, but I guess if you think about it Nike had to steal the idea from someone. Perhaps my biggest complaint had to do with Jocelyn. What the hell was up with her makeup! Now I know that I sound a bit odd when I say that, but come on, sparkly makeup crap on a mid-evil princess, that's just going to far! I will give Shannyn Sossamon this though, she was by far the most beautiful thing in the film. To bad the horses had more personality.

Enough with the complaining before you kind folks get the wrong idea. I actually did enjoy myself and there were plenty of positives to go along with the negatives I mentioned. The action sequences were solid, with just the right amount of humor to keep the audience on their toes. Most of the performances were strong, with Paul Bettany stealing most of the scenes he was in. Even though we have seen the plot before, it still managed to be entertaining, well-paced, and created a fun rivalry. I really dug the reference to Geoffrey Chaucer (know your history kiddies!), though it seems that I have to explain it to most of my friends.

Despite all of these positives, the film still could have been a disaster if it wasn't for the fact that it didn't take itself too seriously. A Knight's Tale does not try to say anything profound, but instead just tries to entertain the audience for a couple of hours. In today's age of deep inner-meanings this can be a welcome relief, though I bet those 'professional critics' would disagree.

6/10

I loved it...Anachronisms and all. The movie makes no attempt to be on the level of a Braveheart or a Gladiator, and that's a good thing. Realism, schmealism...it's a fantastic and entertaining picture. It's such an innocent and old-fashioned movie. When every other film at the theater is full of irony and "cool" dialogue with lots of swear words, it's nice to have a movie as unserious and fun as this.

Although I must admit, the preview did skewer things a bit.

Yeah - this movie was definitely entertaining and heartwarming and all those other hilarious necessities for a "good movie."

I wasn't too into the little fake love affair between Heath and Shannon, but I believe that was the point (see: A Knight's Tale, one of the tales from Chaucer's THE CANTERBURY TALES.) It was boring, and it was supposed to be a boring old humdrum romance. But, I thought the flick was completely hilarious.

And as for the score, are you saying, mightymouse, that you would prefer an orchestral one? B/c, sorry to say, that technically would be just as anachronistic as a Queen rock opera.

Paul Bettany definitely turned heads, and he was very very flamboyant in his stellar performance (even though Chaucer was a big fat guy with a huge beard....). The allusions to modern and ancient trends alike were very welcome in this time where people, as Steve was saying, take themselves too seriously.

Originally posted by dillane

And as for the score, are you saying, mightymouse, that you would prefer an orchestral one? B/c, sorry to say, that technically would be just as anachronistic as a Queen rock opera.

Ah, because orchestras weren't around then...I see. Clever.

Clever? I always am...

Loved it. Had a huge smile on my face the whole movie. I really can't say more than that because it was a pop corn movie and nothing more. It was there to let people be entertained, and I was.