GOLIATH - 4th season

Tools    

Anyone watching this? I'm halfway through, and am enjoying it mucho. This is the 4th and final season of the excellent series.

Billy Bob Thornton, as Billy McBride, shrewd attorney who was formerly washed up, has moved to San Francisco to lead in a huge lawsuit against big pharma opiate producers.

This one is pretty much all noir, with several Hitchcockian nods: A San Francisco setting; a moody green hue to much of the photography, ala Vertigo; and a cross courtyard or alleyway apartments setting, as in Rear Window. The cinematography is superb.

This one has a vague existential feel to it, and allows the main characters, especially the ones from earlier seasons, to rather re-invent themselves.

BBT seems to have a penchant for enlisting older established actors as principals (e.g. Randy Quaid during last season). This year Bruce Dern plays major part, and is giving a fascinating performance.

I don't know where it's going, but so far it's a great ride.

I'm surprised that nobody seems to have seen this. Seems like a lot of folks here would have Amazon Prime, but I may have overestimated that.

This was a very high quality series, just about as good as any I've seen. BBT, Bruce Dern, and J.K. Simmons (who seems to be in every film and series made) are old pros that show their stuff. Most of the cast do nice work. The noir cinematography and production design were first rate.

I just about fell off my chair when near the end of the 6th episode the music used was the haunting and mystic solo piano score from the great The Conversation (1974) by David Shire. Here they used an oboe for the melody. That has always been one of my favorite scores.

If you like a good series, give this one a look.