Movie Library

Tools    

The Fat of the Mailbox
Someone might have already done this before, but oh well.

What movies are a must own (list of five)?

1. Clockwork Orange

2. Fantasia (original)

3. Blue Velvet

4. Yellow Subermine

5. Half Baked

theres more but thats whats on the top of my head

1. Mulholland Drive
2. Life of Brian/Holy Grail
3. Godfather I, II
4. Star Wars Trilogy
5. Memento

I know I actually listed 9 movies, but who could only list one of the Star Wars movies. I also know I didn't list 5 SW movies either, because I don't feel compelled to own the newer ones. Just a preference.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I now own over 1,400 movies on DVD, LD and VHS. How could I possibly choose only five? I couldn't even choose one-hundred at the expense of others. Read the quote below.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Royal Tennenbaums - for obvious reasons

The Filth and The Fury - Brilliant documentary about the Sex Pistols, and ridiculously funny.

Fight Club - The first rule of fight club is you DO NOT talk about fight club.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer season 2 box set - TV at it's finest.

Akira (THX version) - To blow your friends little Toonami watchin' minds.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

The Fat of the Mailbox
i didn't think of monty python movies when i posted!

Holden Pike, your worse than a cd collector

there are a ton of movies i wouldnt mind owning, way too many to list, but fortunately for my bank account, there are videostores that rent out movies at a reasonable price.
i'm really not into this whole uber-collector status thing that seems to have sprouted overnight with the arrival of dvds. or maybe i'm just jellous of holden...
anyway, i have ammassed a small collection of fairly cheap, or hard to comeby tapes, ones i couldnt find at the videostore. lots of obscure anime fansubs, plus some others. i do, however, tend to scour the local blockbuster stores frequently for the old tapes they seem to be wanting to toss out like yesterday's trash. here's my (nonanime) collection: 'metropolitan' 1991, 'nosferatu' 1979, 'film' 196-, 'faust' 1994, 'a taxing woman' 1987, 'do the right thing' 1989, 'clockers' 1995(?), 'she's gotta have it' 1986, 'steamboat bill, jr.' 1928, some betty boop tapes, and i just ordered the 'complete filmography' of russian animator yuri norstein.
so my message, boys and girls, is movies are only worth buying on sale, or if you cant rent them.

It is very hard to pick just 5 movies. The least that can be done is narrowing down the list to a specific genre.

The Future Ed Wood
back to the future trilogy
die hard
jaws
pulp fiction
taxi driver

Visit the best film forum on the web http://www.empireonline.co.uk/

Some of my friends have an extensive library of DVD's. But when you ask to borrow one or two, they look at you like you've just taken their friendship in vain. I quit asking.

I, on the other hand, loan out my movies. Here are the top six "must-haves" from my collection that people seem to borrow the most( I don't know why they just don't go buy them themselves):

1. Showgirls
2. The Quick and the Dead
3. Friday the 13th
4. The Evil Dead
5. Susperia(special edition)
6. Pitch Black

*note: actually, "Pitch Black" is one I recommend to my friends, for some reason not alot of people have seen it.

The Future Ed Wood
the first two are obvious! naked ladies! sharon stone and eliabeth berkley!

evil dead is just a cult classic so obviously!!!

friday the 13th was the best in the series

but the other two i cant figure out why

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally posted by reporter66
Some of my friends have an extensive library of DVD's. But when you ask to borrow one or two, they look at you like you've just taken their friendship in vain. I quit asking.
Oh, I quit lending out movies. A friend of mine borrowed the Natural Born Killers Director's Cut VHS from me once, and I didn't see it again for FIVE YEARS! He got married, moved to Florida, took my tape with him, got divorced, moved back in town, and I eventually got my tape back. Too bad I'd already replaced it with the DVD. Don't let this happen to you.....

Fighting out of the Lions Den
Originally posted by Holden Pike
I now own over 1,400 movies on DVD, LD and VHS.
Fek me! ...Can anybody else here top that?

I never bothered with LD`s, sold my entire VHS collection when DVD took hold and now own 107 DVD`s...and I thought that was a decent collection, until I read that up there.

Anyway, my 5 (I`m basing this on must have DVD`s)

"Terminator 2" (Best for Extras)
"Toy Story" Box set (Best Package)
"Saving Private Ryan" (Best for Sound)
"Monsters Inc." (Best for Picture)
"Leon:Integral Version" (Best for the Movie itself)

I too have stopped lending out my movies, especially DVD's. I'll occasionally loan out a tape and I do give some to my parents, but I've received too many movies back scratched to make it worthwhile anymore.

The worst instance was when I received my Toy Story set back BURNT! They still haven't been able to explain how it happened

I'd say my top 5 must have movies are:

The Godfather Box Set
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Star Wars - all of 'em
Die Hard - Box Set
Terminator 2

I could go on and on... but I'll limit it to those

The Future Ed Wood
1500 that is a lot. i have nearly 800 but if i had kept the ones i downloaded off the net then i woudl have nearly a 1000. i only keep ones that have the covers!

The Fat of the Mailbox
pulp fiction and monsters inc are good ones to have too.

Holy crap: I just did a big reorganizing and cataloging of my DVDs, and I'm now up to 766 titles. I knew I was up over 600, but I had no idea I was getting that close to 800. Geeze, Louise!

Gotta go through all the LDs again sometime soon. I know that's over 600 total, but I'm not sure how close to 700 at this point (I still get one or two a month, via eBay mostly).

And I've completely lost track of my VHS collection, though I know it's still a couple hundred that I haven't yet replaced on DVD or LD.

And yes, I obviously have a problem.

Can I take my movies with me to the Institution? If so, sign me up. All this work and life nonsense is getting in the way of my movie watching. A nice, private padded cell with my many, many, many, many, many, many, many discs and a decent TV could be ideal. I don't mind a straight jacket, just as long as I can have a remote built into it and just enough mobility to change the discs with my teeth (I've already perfected this technique BTW - It's a long story: something to do with a lonely weekend, too much Vodka and a tube of crazy glue).

Well I can dream, can't I? Snake Pit, movie pit...what's the difference, really? Plus the movies quiet the voices in my head. Well, some of the voices.

Oddly enough it has gotten to the point that I realise that in wanting to be a filmmaker, Holden is the sort of person that I want to appeal to.