Dario Argento?

Tools    

Just curious to see if there are any other Argento fans lurking around on the board. I've only seen two (Suspiria and Opera), but they are both two of my favorite horror flicks... Anyone else out there a fan?

I've seen very little of Suspiria.... I really need to see the whole thing. Italian horror.... oooh la la.

What is Opera about? I keep imagining Phantom of the Opera. I have heard that the DVD for Opera doesn't work, and you have to order a new one through the company (Anchor Bay, I think?)

S.C.

Opera is about a young understudy who gets a call hours before opening night that the lead singer has been injured by a car. She is stalked by an unknown killer who ties her up and makes her watch while he kills the people she cares about. It truly is a masterpiece and is a must see for anyone who considers themself to be a horror buff. The gore is very realistic and the kill scenes are great... the music, lighting, acting, etc is all solid.

As for the DVD... I bought the two disc collector's set and it works great... I am in the U.S. though so maybe other regions are having problems.

Dario Argento

Visually stunning director with some of the most insane shots ever to be filmed, I just know he's going to bring great Set-pieces and cinematography every time.

His genre is Horror and he makes every use of it clear and evident taking steps to out do his other films before him.

He has a grasp of color rearly seen in films they are vibrant thick and rich his sets which have a dramtic visionary style to them he always use the frame to it fullest potential and he makes something out of every shot which I think is trenmoudously hard and a lot of directors these day forget about the edges of the frame not putting enough info into each and every frame like he does. His films make you come back for many reapeated viewings cause there's always some new part of the frame to check out.

A lot people love his scores but that's just one think I haven't been able to get use to sometimes they fit in great other time not. His visual storytelling boarders on madness and is very experimental.

ThE BiRd WiTh CrYsTaL PlUmAgE A+

A MATERPIECES IN TERROR

truely one of the best mixtures of horror and suspence ever woven together. Vittorio Storaro's Gloamy Photography gives it a certain chill to perfection. The Acting has a natural feel espically when presented with such unrealistic events that help make the movie more plausible and extenuate the moments of shock and surprise. it's also set-up so that there is always a guessing game playing in your mind as to why? and who? could be doing such murderess things taking you one step closer to solving who the murderer is. The movie has moments where the hair on the back of my neck stands up.

It's my Favorite Argento So far out of the ones I've seen. The pure atmosphere caught me totally off gaurd I wasn't expecting greatness but that's what I got.

Phenomena (1985) C+

There's a lot I like about it but... those things I liked didn't seem to last or were rarly used in the movie for a long time. Take the character that plays the detective Every scene with the him I really dig when he follows Jennifer Connelly to the house and the scene with Donald Plesance at the begin were nicely done he's spread thinly over the entire movie and used to push the story when it either gets caught up into something that hasn't work to good or the pace needs to be spead-up. Another thing that I enjoyed was the person in the hat & raincoat which seemed to fit perfectly within the movies madness but was only used 2 or 3 times.

The Special Effects were cool but also dissipointing some of it was just plain gross and not well crafted. some of the dialogue was just awful and put together losely. The dream secqunces were pretty intresting but I thought he could have done a better job with it thinking about it after it was more of a dissapointment cause than I started to thing what kind of visuals he could have brought to the table with those type of scenes.

Something he always brings strong to his films has been his camera shot for shot all his pans ,huge crane shots, hand held, steadicam, glowing bright lights within windows,framing & just plain weird moves that he makes with the camera were very evident in this movie.

I guess I just tend to like his older stuff more like The Bird With the Crystal Plumage & Deep Red would be my 2 favorites which just intrested me that you too both choose his more new ones rather than his older stuff.

Thanks for posting I enjoy the movie and I had been think about getting it for a while now and you too gave me more added intrested and fuel to the fire in wanting to buy this movie.

Deep Red B+
really crazy I love it and the only thing I really didn't like was the Score which a lot of people really dig so you might enjoy it. David Hemmings is the main cahracter trying to solve a mureder on his own.

Tenebre B
it's cool the weird think that really is noticable is the lighting this horror movie takes place in the sun a lot and has some extremly clever plot twist and situations.

The Cat O' Nine Tails C+
I personal love it you've got this whole stolen document XYX XYY thing going on plus a psycho maniac with Argento's iris shots,point of view shots and different methods of each victim being killed. Karl Malden is really good plus the rest of the cast doesn't let you down as well.

Plus I've seen:
Trauma (1993)
Opera (1987)

And I own The Double Disc With Phenomena & Inferno But I haven't put it on yet.

Cheers

Excellent analysis L.B. I agree with you about the score. Suspiria stands out as a film who's score really did not sit right with me, while the score of Opera is on the other end of the spectrum, truly amazing.

Argento is unlike any other horror director in that he takes every single frame seriously. Nothing is taken for granted, and like L.B. said, several viewings are required to truly appreciate what the man can do with a camera...

The Fabulous Sausage Man
A rgento is easily my favourite horror director. He's one of the few directors of the genre that can be classified as an auteur. While he went into a sort of style-over-substance period in the 1980s, the cinematography is so good, it doesn't matter. I've known people that don't really like horror films enjoy certain sequences in his films because they're so well filmed and choreographed. I think of him as the John Woo of horror - because, like Woo, he can turn something violent and horrible into truly beautiful scenes.

Film is a visual medium, so I believe that directors should try to create stunning visuals. Since most cinema-goers are watching films for escapism, they can't seem to handle a movie like Inferno, which is more image-driven than narrative-driven (if that's the phrase I'm looking for). Personally, I don't think that thick plots are really important anymore - as long as the "story" is told in an interesting and unique way. And Argento can do that.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Suspiria is a good film, even if it's a tad overrated.

On all his list of films to skip, you can put Non ho sonno (Sleepless) near the top.

Suspect's Reviews

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Exclusive Set Report: Dario Argento's Dracula 3D

Source: Alan Jones
August 23, 2011

Two years ago a couple of veteran Italian movie producers got together to discuss the future of internationally packaged co-productions in the light of the global economic downtown.

One was Roberto Di Girolamo, owner of the FilmExport Group, a company responsible for handling director Tinto Brass' erotica back catalog as well as such classics as Dino Risi's Scent of Woman. The other was Gianni Paolucci, producer of director Bruno Mattei's most recent output, Cannibal World and Island of the Living Dead, whose long career stretches back to Antonio Margheriti's 1984 Raiders knock-off The Ark of the Sun God.

"We were talking about 3D and its place in the current film industry," recalled Gianni Paolucci. "We knew it wouldn't be easy to make a 3D movie in Europe so it had to be as surefire a commercial prospect as possible. As the technology seemed to lend itself best to the horror genre from the thrill point of view, we asked ourselves two key questions. What is the world's most famous horror story and who is the most famous Italian horror director? The answers of course were DRACULA and Dario Argento. And there was our new project."

Talking to me inside his trailer at the Barragia forest location 60 km from Turin, Italy, where the shocking climax of Dracula 3D was shot on June 30, 2011, Paolucci continued, "I had never met Dario before so I asked friends we had in common to put me in touch with him. I pitched the Dracula 3D concept and asked him what he thought. There was about a thirty-second delay and he said, what a fantastic idea, I've always loved working with newtechnology, count me in. From that moment on we started preparing extensively."

Launched by the FilmExport Group at the Cannes Film Festival in 2010, Dracula 3D was originally announced in tandem with Who Killed Caligula? 3D, a return by director Tinto Brass to the most controversial movie of his career. "The plan was always to put Caligula into production first," remarks Paolucci. "That way Dario could hone his 3D skills and get completely up to speed on the whole process. But when Tinto returned from a location scout in Tunisia it was clear he had health problems. So we changed the program and brought Dracula 3D forward. Dario was fine about that as he had embraced the technology, had the script exactly how he wanted it and had firm casting ideas."

Pausing between camera set-ups shooting Dracula's arrival at his deceased wife's mausoleum in the heart of the forest, Dario Argento explained, "I've always preferred to establish my own particular genres rather than take on such recognized ones as the vampire. Just as I did with The Phantom of the Opera, here I've changed the rules and shaken the undead genre up to make it my own creation. Yes I'm dealing with the classic iconography but I'm putting my own twist on it. For example Dracula doesn't just transform into bats and wolves… I suppose Hammer's 1958 Horror of Dracula is my touchstone up to a point – I am trying to make my Dracula as classic as that. But I've gone to great lengths here not to specify a particular period and I've made subtle alterations to the Bram Stoker story that have really given it an added power and action momentum. And shooting in 3D is allowing me to add an extra dimension to my brand of set piece...wait until you see massacre of the town elders!"

Originally Argento thought about casting Vincent Gallo as the title Count. The Buffalo '66 star was also the first choice for Argento's last movie Giallo until Adrien Brody snagged the lead role. "When production was moved forward we had to make a firm decision over who was going to play Dracula," Argento adds. "I loved working with Thomas Kretschmann on The Stendhal Syndrome and watched him with pride become a major player in Hollywood with Blade II and King Kong. So I called him four days before the start of shooting and asked him to join me once more to play a bisexual Dracula."

"I had planned to spend the summer with my children," recollected Thomas Kretschmann, readying himself off camera for a very unusual demise at Van Helsing's hands. "Then this call from Dario came out of the blue asking me to play Dracula. My first thought was, What will my friend Gary Oldman think? (Oldman started in Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula). The second was why would I want to take on such a cliché character and repeat something that has been done so often. Quick as a flash Dario told me to treat the Dracula text as the Shakespeare of horror. Every actor likes to interpret classic Shakespearean characters so why not do the same with Dracula? I read the script and it was Stoker with that quintessential Dario spice. I found the decadence and lavish beauty sought by Dario in both the narrative and visuals something akin to director Luchino Visconti's aesthetics in The Leopard and The Damned. In fact I think I play Dracula a bit like Helmut Berger's mad king of Bavaria in Visconti's Ludwig. And with Dario determined to constantly poke your eyes out in every bloody and violent 3D frame, I describe the Dracula 3D look as 'Splatter Visconti'."

Kretschmann based the look of his maniac Alfredo Grossi character in The Stendhal Syndrome on Rutger Haauer's blond android in Blade Runner. So the actor was delighted to be working with Hauer for the first time even if they did only have climactic scenes together on Dracula 3D. "Tonight was my happiest moment on a film set ever," Kretschmann beamed. "I blared out the Blade Runner soundtrack in my trailer, mouthed the 'I've seen things you people wouldn't believe' quote, and then chatted with Rutger while the massive 3D cameras were being put in position. It was a dream come true."

If Kretschmann was the last person to be cast in Dracula 3D, Rutger Hauer was the first to be announced. The iconic Dutch actor said, "It took two phone calls to get out of Dario what exactly he wanted me to do with the Abraham Van Helsing character. People should have warned me he doesn't like talking about all that stuff much. No matter, it was his enthusiasm for the subject and the freedom he was prepared to give me that made me think Dracula 3D would be a good film to slot into my 2011 schedule. I'm playing Van Helsing as an early scientist on a research mission but that's all I want to say as it's up to the audience to figure him out. It's my job as an actor to give you enough of a flavor to do that. At first I thought a mix of stuffy, campy and realistic would work for the role. But I soon realized Dario didn't want the camp approach in any form. He wanted it serious and once I got a handle on just how serious, I was fine."

Joining her famous director father for the fifth time in front of the camera is Asia Argento. But unlike her headline parts in Trauma, The Stendhal Syndrome, The Phantom of the Opera and Mother of Tears, Asia is only playing a supporting role in Dracula 3D. "I'm Lucy, the best friend of Dracula's main target, Mina (The Rite's Marta Gastini)," she says, after being fitted with her vampire fangs for the first time on the night we spoke. "I just didn't want the pressure of starring in another of my father's movies. I've made six Italian movies this year alone and I could just turn up here for my ten-day stint with the machine already in operation and the excitement of filming in 3D still palpable. My father has always been a pioneer so it didn't surprise me at all how much he has embraced the 3D process."

"I'm not a Dracula fan or of vampires in general," she continued. "Of course I've seen all the movies but I've never read the Bram Stoker book. Goth friends and people who love the book were more excited about me playing Lucy than I was. What has been my inspiration? Loving the idea that my father is thoroughly enjoying tackling such a classic story in so modern an approach. It's the first time I get killed in one of my father's movies too. He's killed my mother (Daria Nicolodi) repeatedly on film, now it's my turn!"

Many are seeing Dracula 3D in terms of an Argento "family" reunion. Alongside cast members Asia Argento and Thomas Kretschmann, the crew features such Argento veterans as production designer Antonello Geleng, special make-up effects supervisor Sergio Stivaletti and composer Claudio Simonetti, who true to form turned up on set with much of his soundtrack already written. But another key member of the crew is the one Argento fans should be most excited about. Director of photography Luciano Tovoli gave Suspiria its ground breaking vibrant look and turned Tenebrae into a crisply crystal nightmare. Watching Tovoli in action on Dracula 3D is a master class in cinematic lighting. For after placing banks of lights in the forest setting to enhance its atmosphere, they seem to magically disappear once the 3D Arri Alexa camera turns and the dark fairytale imagery is captured.

"Suspiria and Tenebrae are the two movies in my CV I like the most," pointed out Tovoli after discussing the climactic shots with the six-man 3D advisory crew. "Now Dario and I are back together again to connect with the 3D format. Like in a silent movie, the 3D image has to express more than the dialogue and that's a terrific discipline. So I've gone back to essential F W Murnau and Tod Browning while Dario keeps the camera moving in complicated ways. Our personalities have always created a unique alchemy together - it's why we've done our best work as a team. With Dracula 3D all I can hope for is we've made something iconic again for the third successive time."

^ Not expecting much at all, especially with 3D involved, he has been going downhill immensely since he released the mediocre Card Player. Yikes.

David Gordon Green, who directed Pineapple Express(I'm trying to forget Your Highness...), is going to be the one to direct the remake of Suspiria.