Recognize This Plot? Uh huh!

Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
Pfft!

Do the people of Tinsel Town think the movie going masses are stupid or something?
I was walking along and saw a poster for a new movie coming out called, Ghost Ship. Tagline: Sea Evil. Ooooooh.
I checked it out on IMDb.
Know what the plot summary says?
Plot Outline: A salvage crew that discovers a long-lost 1953 passenger ship floating lifeless in a remote region of the Bering Sea soon notices, as they try to tow it back to land, that "strange things" happen...
Pah-leeeeeeease! Sound familier? Yeah, like about a dozen movies!
Think:
1. Event Horizon:A rescue crew investigates a spaceship that disappeared into a black hole and has now returned...with someone or something new on-board.

2. Mission to Mars:When a mysterious storm kills all but one crew member of the first manned mission to mars, a rescue mission is launched. Once on the red planet, the crew finds the sole survivor of the first mission who informs them that this was no ordinary storm. It was meant to protect something. But what?

You know the premise: A group of somebodies go on a mission of some sort and they disappear...so send out the rescue mission people and then have them discover something creepy happened to the first batch of losers! Yay!
So that's my rant. Too many movies with the same regurgitated plots. I bet more of you can name other rehashed plots. Come on! Give 'em to me!

virus

The title is awful...but I saw the trailer for this in front of XXX, and it looks pretty damn creepy. Gabriel Byrne's a freaky guy, too...he always makes the movies he's in scarier for some reason. Even The Usual Suspects -- his mere prescence and energy made that movie far, far more suspenseful than it would've been anyway.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Yoda
Gabriel Byrne's a freaky guy, too...he always makes the movies he's in scarier for some reason.
Hmmm...I think he pretty much dashed his career. Stigmata sucked and so did his performance. End of Days? Yeah...that was a disaster.
I'm not counting on him carrying a movie anymore.

Besides, I don't wanna talk about Ghost Ship! I wanna talk about over used plots.

How about all those kidnapping movies? Like Ransom and Don't Say a Word. How many more of those do you think they're going to make before we get bored? Sure, some turn out better than others, but there's just one too many.

I hate the "bunch of 20 (or 30) somethings sitting around a table talking about relationships (IE: sex) for 90 minutes." Those never have, and never will, interest me.

Now With Moveable Parts
Reality Bites is the only one of that genre that I enjoyed.

I hate those teen movies that appear to just serve the purpose of getting little kids to the theater for a 2 hour video with a trendy soundrack.
I.E. Crossroads.

Originally posted by Yoda
The title is awful...
hehehe... that tag line is funny though,... hahaha.

BUT I do hate comedy in my horror.
sounds like.. oh what was the movie with luke perry in it? and the bubba from MTV. hmmm...

Triangle i think. where they ened up on some deserrted ship in the Bremuda Triangle only it was haunted.

I've liked a few of those useless teen movies too Sadie. I watch Empire Records all adn I mean ALL the time.

My gripe is why make a movie like a movie...
like Anaconda no blockbuster... but in its wake we got Python, Boa, Venomous, I think htere are four or five more.

Then We had jurassic Park, adn with it came, Raptors and... ummm....**** I think its called The Island or something.

I think it wouldnt be that bad if they would wait a while before posting such blatent copycat films.... but do they.. ummmm.. NO.

Seraph of the Void
We used to call movies where the cast gets killed off one by one "Spam in a cabin movies"

But now you have spam on a space ship. event horizon

Spam on a russian military ship. virus

Spam on a cruise ship. Deep rising

Spam on a space station. Hellraiser Bloodline or Jason X (take your pick)

Spam Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam

Spamitty spam horrible spam!!!
"When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean "Oh, I think it is a little chilly in here. Perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed." No! I said it was cold! As in, "Oh look - my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor!"

Back with a bang!
If you want to be able to completely predict how an entire move will develop, look no further than to the cop-dog movies (K9, Top Dog, Turner & Hooch etc.). Is it just me, or don't it seem like they all used the same script, with blank spaces to allow for the characters' names. And hey, they even made a sequel for K9

yeah, well, clearly they stick with anything that was profitable enough.....and can count on their particular audience. i like the cop/dog flics......i know what i'm gonna get too, very predictable plots but i am entertained.

sometimes you just want easy entertainment, ya know.

there are people who want to see every "war movie" (not me) , every "fall in love and somebody gets cancer" flic (never!!), or the "move in to the haunted house ignoring warnings of neighbors" movies (love em'.) .............

but yeah, it's almost as if the genres alone have become one big basic plot.

I'd like to say that I really like Mission To Mars, but Ghost Ship doesn't interest me in the least.

I think we have seen the whole point of the movie a million times, but this time it is given through a better perspective than in previous suspense flicks. This one is more intense, and actually has some pretty good action in it, or so I heard from reviews.

Do some research kiddies, or jog you memories a bit and you might find out that this "new" "Ghost Ship" movie was already done!
Not just the plot,but the actual movie!
In 1979(1980 maybe), there was a movie called "Death Ship". It was rated R. Lost sea farers/haunted ship/cheesy SFX..you get the idea.
Anyone remember it?
*note: my Avatar is the movie poster for the current "Ghost Ship".

Another thing, since Hollywood loves to duplicate a bad idea, another studio is planning to release their own version of a haunted sea vessel movie; "Below". But "Below" actually looks pretty good.

A novel adaptation.
Originally posted by reporter66
Do some research kiddies, or jog you memories a bit and you might find out that this "new" "Ghost Ship" movie was already done!
Uhh.. yeah.
Thats what we've been talking about.
Some good research would be to read the thread.

Not just the plot,but the actual movie!
In 1979(1980 maybe), there was a movie called "Death Ship". It was rated R. Lost sea farers/haunted ship/cheesy SFX..you get the idea.
A movie with a similar title, and plot doesn't quite count as a movie being re-made. Besides, most of this thread describes movies with similar plots and titles, so this one is really no different.

Wow... I am shocked, a lack of originality in Hollywood

It's sad really... The people in charge seem more willing to recycle a tired plot that is easy to make on the cheap than take a shot on something new that we just might love.

The one theme in movies that I'm tired of is "buddie cop" flicks.

A grumpy old veteran cop gets new partner. New partner is off-beat with great comedic timing! Veteran cop hates off-beat partner's comedic timing! That is until partner saves his life.
Bonding ensues.
Action sequence, action sequence, chase scene!

Veteran cop realizes he's a shlub and by the final reel saves his smart-alecky partners life, just in time for them to kill the evil foriegn muckety-muck together in a gruesome yet unique way.

They laugh and contemplate a sequel.

Do I really need to give any examples folks?

A novel adaptation.
Please do.
I recognize the tired, and overused plot, but am embarassed to say that I can't think of any of those films.

Well, besides Showtime . But I'd rather not admit having seen it.

It was on an airplane, okay?! I couldn't get to sleep! I tried to avert my eyes, but was out of things to read!

48 hours
Another 48 hours
Lethal Weapon 1, 2, 3, 4
Rush Hour 1, 2