Thunderbolt's 2021 Movie Diary

Tools    

176. Scarlet Street (1945) DVD rewatch
Edward G. Robinson is unhappy in his marriage and fantasies about a life with a younger woman. But once he meets Kitty and is taken advantage of, obsession leads to murder. Expertly directed by Fritz Lang and superbly acted by the entire cast, this is a must for any noir addict.

178. Rooster Cogburn (1975) TV rewatch
I’ve watched quite a few John Wayne movies this challenge and although they have been enjoyable, they are all starting to merge into one. This film was pretty chatty but had a great finale.

179. Halloween 6 The Curse of Michael Myers (1995) Streaming rewatch
So here we are with the black sheep of the series (excluding the Rob Zombie efforts which I pretend don’t exist) and I still do not know what to make of it. It’s certainly different, but the need to explain the origins of Michael Myers madness has been stretched to something so far beyond the original. For some reason, I’m drawn to it. But I think I’m possibly trying to force myself to see things from a different perspective and change my views. All in all is it rubbish? Pretty much. But I’m sure I’ll view it again some day.

180. Amityville 3D (1983) DVD rewatch
After streaming this on a computer a while ago I wanted to see it on a big screen. A ridiculous guilty pleasure but I’m sure there’s far worse in the series.

181. Looney Tunes Back in Action (2003) TV first watch
As school holidays continue my daughter brought this to my attention. I kind of looked through this one. Roger Rabbit style but a complete no brainer.

184. Grudge 2 (2006) DVD new purchase
Not as good as the Japanese sequel but I purchased this for next to nothing. I would prefer less CGI and more old school effects but this captured some good atmosphere.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

181. Looney Tunes Back in Action (2003) TV first watch
As school holidays continue my daughter brought this to my attention. I kind of looked through this one. Roger Rabbit style but a complete no brainer.

Sometimes I think that I might be the only person who liked Looney Tunes Back in Action. I thought it felt a lot like the old cartoons, except for the stupid part with Tweety in the jungle.

185. Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetery Man 1994) DVD new purchase
Surreal cross between The Evil Dead and Italian zombie cinema. Now a cult classic with very arty camera work. Enjoyable for being so bizarre but make of the finale what you will.

I actually kind of like Anaconda. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember thinking the build-up to the snake was handled pretty well and that some of the horror scenes were fairly entertaining. This balances out the dated cgi/awkward acting and casting choices, in my opinion.

I actually kind of like Anaconda. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember thinking the build-up to the snake was handled pretty well and that some of the horror scenes were fairly entertaining. This balances out the dated cgi/awkward acting and casting choices, in my opinion.
As over the top as the movie is I had to put my head in my hands when Jon Voight was regurgitated by the anaconda and he gives somebody a wink before hitting the floor.

As over the top as the movie is I had to put my head in my hands when Jon Voight was regurgitated by the anaconda and he gives somebody a wink before hitting the floor.
Yeah, that scene was pretty cringy for sure.

187. Batman The Movie (1966)
Great feature length version from the legendary TV show. Expect the ridiculous with the four main villains teaming up to rid Gotham city of the dynamic duo. Kids will love it as much as adults.

“Some days you just can’t get rid of a bomb.”

188. Batman Forever (1995) DVD rewatch
Ok so it’s obviously not in the same league as the Keaton or Bale movies but I have to put this in the guilty pleasures box. I enjoyed the camera work and the look of the movie as a whole. I would’ve preferred the villains to be darker and less comical but I assume the idea was to shoot it more like the old TV series. Haven’t watched this in over a decade and although my rating may be generous, I didn’t hate it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

187. Batman The Movie (1966)
Great feature length version from the legendary TV show. Expect the ridiculous with the four main villains teaming up to rid Gotham city of the dynamic duo. Kids will love it as much as adults.

“Some days you just can’t get rid of a bomb.”

I love the campiness of Batman The Movie. It's one of my favorite superhero movies.