Mass shootings at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand

Tools    

Weird is relative.
How exactly? How do you get into a determined individuals mind?, they may have no connection to any others with a terror mindset, may have been careful to not leave trail of evidence/indication of what's coming.

Obviously the more these things happen the more the security services/police learn about the indicators but it's terribly difficult.
Well, it seems "normal" now to find disgruntled individuals post online on public message boards about how they want to take out weapons and harm random people. Maybe they're just angry and verbally lashing out... but it shouldn't be okay for them to say this and then go do it. This sort of content should be investigated before they can cause harm. I realize this isn't always easy, but I think law enforcement should take potential threats expressed online seriously.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Well, it seems "normal" now to find disgruntled individuals post online on public message boards about how they want to take out weapons and harm random people.
It will be normal to find disgruntled far righters, but i'm not so sure it will be normal to see people stating an intent to harm.

Maybe they're just angry and verbally lashing out... but it shouldn't be okay for them to say this and then go do it. This sort of content should be investigated before they can cause harm. I realize this isn't always easy, but I think law enforcement should take potential threats expressed online seriously.
Headline from the Times in the UK last year was that there are 30,000 potential terrorists/ISIS sympathisers worth keeping an eye on, but the security services could only really watch 2000-3000.

Learning how to properly police the internet is still in its infancy really.

Again not all will express there views online though.

What a sad world it's become. People have to think twice before going out to a bar/nightclub, a concert, the cinema, their place of worship, their school, or even choosing to walk on the sidewalk in a busy city, or during a holiday.
You don't have to think like that, terrorist attacks are very rare('western world' anyway) even if it doesn't look it from how much is on the news every day, they are still very rare. And if you go around thinking about if you should go somewhere because there might be a terrorist attack, then they have won.

All the knife attacks here in Britain for example, it's extremely rare that someone will go up to a total stranger and stab them - there is usually a connection to the victim or mistaken identity. All the teenage stabbings here in Britain over the last year or so have got so many people stressed to be on the streets and they shouldn't be!

You don't have to think like that, terrorist attacks are very rare('western world' anyway) even if it doesn't look it from how much is on the news every day, they are still very rare. And if you go around thinking about if you should go somewhere because there might be a terrorist attack, then they have won.
Very true. It's funny, a lot of my progressive friends are very (correctly!) analytical when talking about the rarity of terrorist attacks and encouraging people not to overreact policy-wise to rare events like bombings, but they seem to forget all that with mass shootings, which have a similar rarity, and a similarly outsized amount of coverage.

It's a common problem, where small but steady incidents get noticed and talked about a lot less than big events, even when they're much rarer. It influences terrorism and gun control debates, as mentioned above, and even things like the public support for nuclear power.

https://www.timesnownews.com/enterta...attacks/384802

Australian movie called hotel Mumbai on a terror attack in my city Mumbai has been pulled out from theatres in new Zealand in the aftermath of the attack . Now what is the need for this ? Just because it depicts Muslims as terrorists ?

No, it's because there's just been a terrorist attack in New Zealand. Same as you don't get to watch Alive on a flight or radio stations decided not to play songs like Another One Bites The Dust during the Iraq war.

Personally I don't make the link, but I see why some might.

How exactly? How do you get into a determined individuals mind?
Have you seen the movie.. Minority Report

This was actually what I thought of after reading the original comment.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...of-christians/

Hypocrite left liberal media was falling over itself to cover new Zealand massacre because victims were Muslims , but Nigeria massacre where victims were Christians and perpetrators were Muslims was royally ignored !!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Hypocrite left liberal media was falling over itself to cover new Zealand massacre because victims were Muslims , but Nigeria massacre where victims were Christians and perpetrators were Muslims was royally ignored !!
I'm kind of sick of these "why are you mourning this, when this happened mentality."

I'm kind of sick of these "why are your mourning this, when this happened mentality."
Both should be equally mourned . That's all I am saying .

Every individual should have an identical response to every tragedy? That doesn't make sense. Even granting that perhaps the disproportionate coverage is revealing, I think you're overstating things.

And I'm not going to say again that this thread is about this specific incident, and not an excuse to shoehorn in your larger pet peeves or trojan horse your larger cultural complaints.

To quote the Joker, when like a bomb goes off in Africa nobody panics cause its all part of the plan, but when something bad happens in quiet little New Zealand everybody loses their minds.

Sadly we're too used to bad headlines from the third world, I still remember the Boston bombings, 3 dead, same day in Baghdad a huge bomb killed 60 people but only received a fraction of the coverage.

Doesn't mean there's a sinister motive behind it, just we're desensitized to bad things happening in unstable countries.

Thing is: that happened in Nigeria and nobody in the English speaking world cares about anything that happens in Nigeria. It has nothing to do with Christian/Muslim thinguie.

In Brazil we just got a school massacre recently: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/13/w...-shooting.html, but media here in the US did not talk much about it. But the Brazilian media is going crazy over it while it is mostly ignoring New Zealand's stuff.

Some kinds of news are more interesting to different kinds of public.

What's becoming very disturbing about this terror attack is how some people are trying to make Trump or others responsible because he was named in the killer's manifesto and thus politicize it for their particular agenda.

Apparently the killer named a great many things as his causes & influences - most of which have nothing to do with Trump.

It's disturbing that people are latching on to this - CNN and MSNBC spent the entire weekend trying to show how Trump is responsible.

Trump is no more responsible than Chelsea Clinton - as there is now a group accusing her of somehow being responsible. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ck/3184870002/
Nor are environmentalists like myself somehow responsible (another group the killer claims affinity to).

Trump is as responsible for this attack as Bernie Sanders is for the shooting upon a Republican baseball team that crippled Steve Scalice by one of his self-identified followers, or as Jodie Foster was for the assassination attempt on President Reagan (carried out by a gunman who named her as his motivation)!

As Rules said earlier, no one is responsible for this attack except for the madman who carried it out, and those trying to place blame elsewhere ought to be ashamed of themselves (especially those with a public voice in the media).

What is truly shocking about this particular event is that it's the first time somebody livestreamed a mass shooting. The fact that nobody had done this before is almost unthinkable. One shouldn't be surprised at all if this turns into a trend with new mass shootings.

I think Trump gets blamed for so much that no one's really paying much attention anymore, even the haters.

I think Trump gets blamed for so much that no one's really paying much attention anymore, even the haters.
Overkill , eh ?

Overkill , eh ?
Living in the UK you'd think the only 2 politicians in the outside world are Alexandra Ocasio Cortez and Trump. Gets a bit tiresome.

I've always wondered why this have so much emphasizes. I mean, how many Muslims die worldwide from non-natural causes? Many of them in wars, wars which are financed by countries like NZ. Why so serious? Because it happens near us? If media didn't broadcast this 24/7 no one would really give a crap, and that would be a problem, if people banalize mass-murder in certain areas of the globe we enter in a state of anarchy, and in a anarchy state your money or social status won't save you. Look what a very small fraction of France did wearing yellow vests with rocks as a weapon. They changed things, very fast. We have to fear and believe they protect us, the system protect us.