2018 Mofo Film Awards

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Ladies and gentlemen, the votes are in and we have our final set of nominees. We ended up with a little less submissions than last year, but there were still enough to have a diverse enough field of films voted in.

Please vote for ONE film in each category you choose. The DEADLINE for your votes is March 30th, 2019. That gives you almost one month to watch any films that need to be viewed before then. We will then have the awards ceremony the very next day. March 31st, 2019.

You must PRIVATE MESSAGE me your votes, do not post them here. You post them here and your votes are disqualified.

I'd like to thank @Cynema De Bergerac again for brand spankin' new poster we've got now. It's a lot cleaner and clearly from someone more talented. Thanks for making mine look cheap, yet again.

Voters

Upton
shlomi
Cynema De Bergerac
Raven73
Sudden
ThursdayNext
MovieMeditation
Dirk120
ahwell
John-Connor
ScarletLion
markf
seance
okay
cosmic runaway
rauldc14
HashtagBrownies
Cat_Sidhe
Iroquois
TheUsualSuspect

Suspect's Reviews

Best VFX

Best Score

Breakthrough Performance of the Year

Yalitza Aparicio - Roma

Elsie Fisher - Eighth Grade

Lady Gaga - A Star is Born

Thomasin McKenzie - Leave No Trace

Alex Wolff - Hereditary

Best Cinematography

Best Cast

Viola Davis, Liam Neeson, Jon Bernthal, Michelle Rodriguez, Elizabeth Debicki, Robert Duvall, Colin Farrell, Daniel Kaluuya, Brian Tyree Henry, Jacki Weaver, Cynthia Erivo, Garret Dillahunt

Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Scarlett Johanson, Robert Downey Jr, Don Cheadle, Paul Bettany, Elizabeth Olsen, Tom Holland, Josh Brolin, Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Buffalo, Chadwick Boseman, Karen Gillan, Zoe Saldana, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan, Idris Elba, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Peter Dinklage, Benicio Del Toro, Gwyneth Paltrow, Dave Bautista, Danai Gurira

Tim Blake Nelson, James Franco, Clancy Brown, Liam Neeson, Stephen Root, Tom Waits, Brendan Gleeson

Chris Hemsworth, Jeff Bridges, Jon Hamm, Dakota Johnson, Nick Offerman, Xavier Dolan, Cynthia Erivo

Emma Stone, Olivia Colman, Rachel Weisz, Mark Gatiss, James Smith

'Mixed-Bag Award'

Funniest Scene of the Year

After Credits - Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse

Why is Gamora? - Avengers: Infinity War

Jumping out of plane - Deadpool 2

Preventing Origin Stories - Teen Titans Go To The Movies!!

Removing the bullet - Game Night

Most Memorable Scene

The Bear Scream - Annihilation

Lighthouse Confrontation - Annihilation

The Snap - Avengers: Infinity War

Grasping for Air - Hereditary

Cash Discovers The Secret - Sorry To Bother You

Most Underrated Movie of the Year

Most Overrated Movie of the Year

Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Biggest Surprise of the Year

Best Foreign Language Film

Best Documentary

Best Animated Film

Best Screenplay

Do I make you sad? I don't know. Sometimes I think that when I'm older, I'll have a daughter of my own or something... and I feel like if she was like me, then being her mum would make me sad all the time. I'd love her because she's my daughter, but I think if she turned out like me that being her mum would make me really sad.

Courage is the solution to despair, reason provides no answers. I can't know what the future will bring; we have to choose despite uncertainty. Wisdom is holding two contradictory truths in our mind, simultaneously, Hope and despair. A life without despair is a life without hope. Holding these two ideas in our head is life itself.

Some wounds do not close. I have many such. One does walks around with them and sometimes one can feel them filling with blood.

If I am not for myself, who will be? If I am for myself alone, who am I? If not now, when? And if not you, who?

Welcome, Cassius Green. I hope you have not masturbated today. We need you sharp and ready to go.

Best Supporting Actress

Regina King - If Beale Street Could Talk

Rachel Weisz - The Favourite

Emma Stone - The Favourite

Tilda Swinton - Suspiria

Elizabeth Debicki - Widows

Best Supporting Actor

Mahershala Ali - Green Book

Adam Driver - BlackKklansman

Daniel Kaluuya - Widows

Alex Wolff - Hereditary

Steven Yeun - Burning

Best Actress

Yalitza Aparicio - Roma

Joanna Kulig - Cold War

Olivia Colman - The Favourite

Lady Gaga - A Star is Born

Toni Collette - Hereditary

Best Actor

Bradley Cooper - A Star is Born

John David Washington - BlackKklansman

Ethan Hawke - First Reformed

Joaquin Phoenix - You Were Never Really Here

Ben Foster - Leave No Trace

Best Director of the Year

Alfonso Cuaron - Roma

Yorgos Lanthimos - The Favourite

Bradley Cooper - A Star is Born

Alex Garland - Annihilation

Steve McQueen - Widows

Thoughts:

This was indeed a surprising year. Backlash over the Oscars maybe? Both Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody have limited showings here and what they are nominated for are not the "good" categories. This might be the first year that a film that won Best Picture is not even nominated in our category. It might also be the same for Lead Actor.

Annihilation, which garnered some mixed to positive reactions scored 8 nominations. Two of them in one category (Most Memorable Scene). It scored Best Film/Director but nothing for acting or writing.

Roma earned 6 while The Favourite snagged 9 nominations (the most). Two of them in one category (Best Supporting Actress)

Surprises? Yes I'd say so. Mandy making a splash with 4 nominations (Nic Cage just missed out by one vote). One of them is Best Picture, while the surprise turnout for Widows (5 nominations) built of speed until failing to secure a Best Picture nomination.

Black Panther had a small showing, just one nomination in the Overrated category. That category has 4 out 5 nominees that were nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. The only one that wasn't was Solo (which is weird to see it nominated for Overrated, but you guys voted it).

Normally you'd see some overlap with Overrated/Disappointment and Best Picture. There always seems to be one or two movies that make both or all three categories. 3 Billboards did this last year. Yet this year was different as none of the ones nominated for Overrated or Disappointing made a Best Picture nomination.

No Rami Malek or Viggo or Dafoe or Bale....Cooper is the only one that was nominated from the Oscars to snag a spot here. Mofos instead awarded the smaller roles like Ben Foster in Leave no Trace or Joaquin Phoenix in You Were Never Really Here. Ethan Hawke was snubbed at the Oscars, but the wise voters here recognized his efforts.

For Worst Movies of the year, I'd argue 4/5 shouldn't be there. I'm even including the terrible Fantastic Beasts...the one truly terrible film there has to be 15:17 to Paris, while the rest are mediocre (though some would argue Cloverfield Paradox is straight up trash).

Glenn Close and Melissa McCarthy did not receive any love here. Instead Toni Collette and Joanna Kulig got some love. Some more surprises come in the Best Supporting Actor category where Steven Yeun, Alex Wolff and Daniel Kaluuya showed up.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen more love for BlackKklansman and Sorry To Bother You. But overall, this year looks to be vastly different to the previous ones.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
There we go! We are better at this than those silly Oscars! Look forward to the rest!

I really like the 5 choices for Visual Effects. All five are pretty deserving.

Wish I could have seen Cold War and Beale Street by now.

Far more high-brow than last year.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Great job on the presentation and artwork
TheUsualSuspect & Cynema De Bergerac

Best Cast
Don't see Cynthia Erivo mentioned as a cast member in Widows and Bad Times at the El Royale.. she had an important role in both movies..

No love for John Williams ost..

Annihilation very overrated on this forum, the portals look like alien anuses..

Alex Wolff, Lady Gaga.. really...smh..

Love the nominations for Steven Yuen and Daniel Kaluuya..

Missing The Rider, Paddington 2 (robbed again) The Hate U Give, Blindspotting and Drax i'm invisible scene..

Welcome to the human race...
Preliminary thoughts, mainly concerned which of my picks didn't make it and what made it instead of them (which may or may not spoil what I do end up picking):

Thoughts  

Best Cast
Don't see Cynthia Erivo mentioned as a cast member in Widows and Bad Times at the El Royale.. she had an important role in both movies..
I actually nominated her for supporting actress for both of those movies, really like her.

I'm surprised so many of my nominations made it considering how many movies I haven't seen yet.

I actually nominated her for supporting actress for both of those movies, really like her.

I'm surprised so many of my nominations made it considering how many movies I haven't seen yet.
Nominated her too, both very strong supporting performances.. 3 of my female supporting noms got through Rachel Weisz, Regina King and Emma Stone..

Best Cast

Thank you.

I've added her name. Having seen neither film and not being familiar with her, I left her off as an oversight.

Mixed Bag - 1 out of 5. Another category I invented and surprise surprise, most of my picks didn't make it. How did you all decide on your picks anyway? My main criteria was that it had to have a
but the kind that's equal parts good and bad instead of just boringly mediocre.
I chose films that had elements I actually liked, but were quite terrible in other parts, or were just a mess. Sort of equal parts enjoyable and cringe-inducing.

As for which of my picks didn't make it, I picked "Buster in the saloon" from Buster Scruggs, the biker fight from Mandy, and the mid-credits scene from Paddington 2.
Was that fight scene in Mandy the same one where Nic Cage does a mound of cocaine off a broken piece of glass? If so I was going to include that as well, but wasn't sure how to describe it haha.

I thought I had her for Bad Times at the El Royale, but apparently I didn't. I was disappointed in that movie overall, but I liked her in it.