What do you HATE?

Tools    

As a footnote to @Stirchley, I do appreciate the computer advice you offer, which has often been very helpful to me. And I' m flattered that you read my review.
Why would I read a review that contains spoilers? I haven’t seen the movie yet!

Not gonna discuss this any further.

Hermann Hesse — 'If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.'
^That's a bunch of bull.

Things I hate: Terrible pet owners.

Just took a phone call from someone whose dog was bit by a rattlesnake on Sunday. Today is Wednesday. The owner didn't bother to do anything about it. Now the area that got bit is very swollen and smells bad (most likely necrotic). I told her she needed to take the dog to the university for hospitalization and treatment immediately because we don't hospitalize patients and are not equipped to treat rattlesnake bite. She argued with me about it for several minutes and I can only hope that she does what I advised and that the dog doesn't die.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I hate explaining to coworkers how to set processes to avoid obvious issues down the road just to be dismissed. 6 months into their development I get the files to fix everything that could have been avoided had anyone bothered to listen. In 3 weeks what took 6 months to build.

Hermann Hesse — 'If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.'

^That's a bunch of bull.
Many years ago I had a roommate who invited a friend to come stay in the house where I rented a room. I don't like to use the word "hate," but there was nothing about this guy I liked - in fact he was one of a couple people who partied in my room, urinated on my walls, vomited on my carpet and destroyed my artwork while I was away.

I didn't even start off disliking him (so it's not like I could say I hated the resentment for me I found in him after his acts of destruction only because I hated the resentment I felt for him in myself) - I started off with this guy as a blank slate and showed him the friendliness, hospitality and respect I'd give to any other human being - my disdain for him was only later earned after witnessing several brutal acts and being a target of his destruction.

At the time I was reading a self-help book that had a very similar sentiment about the things we hate in others are the things we hate about ourselves.

I couldn't find one thing in this guy that I could relate to or find in myself. I would never do any of the things he did to anyone, no less someone who treated me as a guest in their home. Aside from being members of the same species, I really couldn't locate anything in him that was in myself that I hated - I never had any desire to hurt innocent people or vandalize their home (and this wasn't any one-off for this guy or some unspoken resentment he had only for me, this was a pattern of behavior).

Personally, I have always agreed with Hesse’s statement & know that it’s true for me. I think this particularly relates to married couples.

Personally, I have always agreed with Hesse’s statement & know that it’s true for me. I think this particularly relates to married couples.
So what do you hate about your husband that you also then hate about yourself?

For me Hesse’s statement isn't true, at least for the biggest part. Actually I don't really hate anything as I'm a positive person by nature.

i hate people who are into cults and force others around them into weird rituals . One relative of mine was into this and i did not like him . He used to drink cow piss because cow is holy for hindus and tried to enforce this ritual on others in his family without success . But even him trying this earned him my permanent hatred .

I also hate a particular guy who used to bully me and others in college . Recently I came to know he had changed his name to that of a dead person who was to inherit a lot of money . And the money got transferred to his name . Now he lives with his new name in another city with all that money . Right now I am trying to collect proof of his wrongdoing .

It goes back to the fundamentals of what Hesse is saying. One or two of my husband’s eccentricities I dislike because I dislike the fact that I am inclined that way myself.

Don’t take his statement personally. Because one hates something (or dislikes or strongly dislikes) doesn’t mean that person is not a positive person. We’re humans: ergo we’re flawed.

My grandfather had a traditional portuguese saying that I can't remember, and that I couldn't probably translate, but the meaning was, people have a huge difficulty in seeing themselves. Most people hate something based on an action the thing they hate did, action we label as good or bad and that action arouses a emotion in ourselves. When we hate something, hate is a very powerful word, what we are truly hating is not the action itself, is the emotion it aroused. I believe I know this from personal experience, my introspective thinking made me realize that the things I couldn't take, that drove me out of my clear state of mind are things that I had in myself. I noticed that with my father, I had so many things I couldn't take, and latter on I realized the things I couldn't accept in him were present in myself. My inability to be flexible and open minded was the the major thing we had in common, and that is the thing I see most present in our human race, we don't accept other's because we see everything in terms of flaws and qualities when we should only see as characteristics each individual have. I don't really know if that quotation is accurate, I believe if we go deeply enough, it might start to make some sense, but if we keep this by: "that guy just punched a dog, I don't like him, I actually hate him, but that means I want to punch a dog too?", will drives us nowhere. Stirchley was in the right path in my opinion, when a marriage is over is never because of just one side.

I noticed that with my father, I had so many things I couldn't take, and latter on I realized the things I couldn't accept in him were present in myself.
I probably felt the same thing with my father.

No one, should be applying internet approved sentiments to their real life.

Inaction like this and...yep it's the same person who made the thread.

Inaction!

I have no idea what you mean by "inaction" in this context or how it relates to what matt's saying.

Anyway, seeing as how "the Internet" contains all sorts of things that originate outside of the Internet, and is in fact just a medium and not really a source or a place, it doesn't really work to just dismiss anything you read while using it, any more than it makes sense to blindly accept it.

No reason not too just evaluate each claim on its merits. And when I do that, I find this particular saying probably has some truth to it, but I can also think of situations in which it doesn't apply. So it's insightful, but just not universally applicable.