A Rainy Day in New York

Tools    

Sorry for my bad English :p
for those who've seen it, what do you think about woody allen's latest movie (A Rainy Day in New York) ?

A Rainy Day in New York (2019)

Woody Allen returns to top form in this appealing romantic comedy set in... where else? New York City.

A young bohemian university student from a wealthy NYC family accompanies his student girlfriend to New York in order to show her around, and also to have a romantic weekend. She has been assigned the opportunity by her WASPy college newspaper to interview a famous movie director.

Once she commences the interview, the director invites her to a screening of his new unreleased film. This sets up a whole series of zany encounters, near romances, confrontation with her boyfriend's family, and an inevitable and charming happy ending.

The beefy cast consists of Timothee Chalamet, Elle Fanning, Liv Schreiber, Jude Law, and Selena Gomez. But it is Miss Fanning who is so natural, adorable and entrancing, that she practically steals the show. The entire cast is in top form. Schreiber in particular is completely convincing in his eclectic role as the brooding, boozy film director. Jude Law is nearly unrecognizable in his portrayal of the movie producer. And Chalamet charms as the Woody Allen semi alter ego role. The weakest role was Selena Gomez as Chalamet's saucy inevitable love interest. A more experienced actress would have enhanced the character.

The film, shot in 2017, comes to us two years late due to some contractual hassles with Amazon and the fashionable PC/SJ interference. The picture had its release in Poland during July 2019, and from there world wide.

No one does this style of romantic comedy romp better than does Woody Allen, and it would be nearly impossible to imitate. It's nice to see Allen return to the type of quirky comedic dramas that made him such an iconic writer/director. See this picture. It's a lot of laughs, and very entertaining.

Doc's rating: 8/10

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
After a long waiting, I finally saw it in the autumn of 2020 and re-watched it for the second time couple of months ago.
In the end of this decade, Allen is again at his top form. What a beautiful vital movie full of nice aromas. It is probably among top 10 most remarkable films released in the last two years world-wide.

Woody is such a virtuoso that I've immediately fell in love with these youngest generation actors. Timothée Chalamet and Elle Fanning are great here, superbly directed throughout the whole movie.

I can say, this is one more cult title by Allen.