1940's Hall Of Fame Part I

Tools    

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Nom sent. I skulked about in your list and as far as I can see, only one other person have seen my nomination. Hope you'll like it.

Well crap! Someone of you beat me to the punch and took my nomination! As long as it's in the HoF, I guess. Had to fall back on one much more well known, so no more obscurity points for me. *Takes dramatic pose* How will I ever survive?!

When i was thinking about joining this i was going to ask Sean if it was ok if i nominated something i hadn't seen like some have done in a few other HOFs. Simply because i've only really watched the big classics from the decade and i would've rather give something not well known a possible chance at the Countdown whenever we do it.

I read through alot of stuff about lesser known great 40s films: i'm only namedropping this because it sounds like something i'd like from what i've read and i'm planning on watching it soon:

Le Corbeau (Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1943)

From the same director as The Wages of Fear. I've heard it described as the first French Noir although i'm not sure how accurate that is. Anyway it sounds great and i can't wait to watch it, hope some others do.

A few others i was considering after reading about them:

Strawberry Blonde (Raoul Walsh, 1941)

The Mortal Storm (Frank Borzage, 1940)

This is of particular interest to me since it is from the same year as The Shop Around The Corner which i watched yesterday and loved, and it also stars Stewart, Sullavan and Morgan.

Yellow Sky (William Wellman, 1948)

Who knows maybe i'll hate them all but i'm planning on watching alot of lesser known films for this countdown because i think i spend time on the already acclaimed classics for these decade lists too much and my list looks basically the same as the Countdown.

There's loads of others. Think i'll start a thread for it after the sci-fi countdown.

Frank Borzage in particular is a director i've got interested in exploring from reading about him and his films. I've kind of always been aware of him because when i started to get really into fims i got into the Oscars history and him and his films were always nominated in the first few ceremonies. Not sure what some of the members who have seen more old films like, Mark, Holden, Citizen and gbg think of his movies?

I actually considered one of Frank Borzage movie's for this Hof, Strange Cargo (1940), but I didn't go with.

I really liked and reviewed another of his films, Three Comrades (1938)

But I haven't seen that many of his films, I know I see Stage Door Canteen (1943) and perhaps a couple that I don't recognizance the title of. I don't track my movies so I'm not always sure what I watched years ago.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Ox-Bow Incident is another film from Wellman that I really want to see, Camo.
I thought maybe you would have nominated this. Didn't know you didn't see it.

I thought maybe you would have nominated this. Didn't know you didn't see it.
I'm hoping someone else nominates it as I plan on getting to it very soon anyway. Looks like something I'll love definitely

The Ox-Bow Incident has lost of emotional impact and yet the film making is simple but poignat which makes it feel real up close and personal, which works for the story and a I won't say anymore about the plot.It's one of my favorite westerns.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Nom sent. I skulked about in your list and as far as I can see, only one other person have seen my nomination. Hope you'll like it.
What list?

Well crap! Someone of you beat me to the punch and took my nomination! As long as it's in the HoF, I guess. Had to fall back on one much more well known, so no more obscurity points for me. *Takes dramatic pose* How will I ever survive?!
After the noms are posted, will you tell us which movie someone beat you to nominating?

I'm going to reveal this Friday. So the couple of you who wanted to watch some stuff can. Good noms so far.

What is our list of participants so far?
Gbgoodies
Neiba
Rauldc
Clazor
Danielm
Citizen Rules
Seanc

I know Cricket and Cosmic are in. Camo on the fence.

Typo, ment to write lists. I was going through the lists looking for inspiration when I saw a title I thought I recognized. I looked it up and found that it was a movie I'd seen way back when I was a young kid. I didn't remember much of anything, only that I liked it. I thought that it would make a good nom, but I was curious as to how many of the participants had seen it. So I went through your lists and found that only one in the group had seen it. This made me decide to put it up as my nom, but someone (Sean didn't say who) beat me to it.

After the noms are posted, will you tell us which movie someone beat you to nominating?
Sure, why not. But as you say, only after the noms have been officially released.

PS
Just realized this will be my 600th post. How the times fly...
DS

I will throw it out there since only one person will get any extra information out of it. Clazor nominated the same film as Rauldc. Stay tuned to find out the name of that film