Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

+
Hmm. It was not as simple as I thought it woud be. Bob Hoskins was really reliable. There is an interesting plot behind the sensational surface.

Tully (2018)

Worth a watch.

Unsane (2018)

I cared little for the protagonist.

Death Wish (2018)

Surprisingly better than preconceptions. It's a well made vigilante flick.

Blockers (2018)

I was not engaged in the plight and quest of protagonists.

Truth or Dare (2018)

Thrill makes it a good watch. I think the game was more dynamic then I initially expected.

I Feel Pretty (2018)

Fortunately there was less "humor" and more heart to it.

Life of the Party (2018)

Terrible.

Adrift (2018)

Overall I couldn't wait for it to finish, but there were few good moments.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Super Troopers 2

Snoozberries definitely have a sell-by date.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

4 out of 5

And some may find that a too easy, audience pleasing way to make a movie- but it works for me.
Very nice review, LL. I've watched it several times since its premiere, and my only gripe are the slower parts, especially the buildup while the characters are making replicas of the mesa. But the comedy, good acting, and the wonderment make it one of my favorites.

BTW, a friend of mine, Ian Underwood, was the keyboardist who recorded the D-E-C-C-G theme on synthesizer for the film.

~Doc

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)

Great little film directed by and starring Tommy Lee Jones. The titular character is accidentally killed by a Border Patrol Officer (the fine Barry Pepper). The rest of the film is a journey to return Melquiades' body to where he asked it to be laid at rest. A bit of a story of redemption too for the Border Cop, along the way they encounter some strange and wonderful people and places. Really liked this, well done TLJ, 8.5/10.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

4 out of 5

...I wondered, could a movie made ~40 years ago stand up visually to the modern innovativions in cinematic techniques? And would I still enjoy, and be as enraptured, with the film as when I saw it years ago?

Well, the answer to the last question is: yes and no...
Excellent review Lenslady. I did the exact same thing about a year ago. I had seen Close Encounters at the theater and maybe once on TV but that was decades and decades ago. So what did I think of it? My review

I also did a long needed rewatch of E.T. and I wasn't a fan of that one. But I do like Spielberg's movies in general.

Box set of Fanny & Alexander. A re-watch for me. Unusually for me, I preferred the 3 hours theatrical version rather than the 5 hours long tv version. Lots of interesting special features too.

Maybe didn’t enjoy it as much as the 1 or 2 times I have seen it before. Lots of static sets & noticeable wigs, which I never enjoy. (Which is why my theater days are long gone.) Second half is better than the 1st half IMO. Huge fan of Bergman so glad to own this beautiful Criterion set.

Wild Boys of the Road (1933)

I wouldn't call this a great movie, but it was a great watch and is not even 70 minutes long. It's the perfect companion piece to Make Way for Tomorrow which I just watched a few days ago. While that movie focused on how the Depression era affected elderly parents, this movie focused on how it affected the children, more specifically, the teenagers whose parents came upon real hard times. Two good boys and best friends head out across the country looking for work in order to help their families, but harsh reality hits them in the face. Along the way they befriend a girl in the same boat, and then many other kids in that same predicament. There are some surprisingly tough scenes as these young ones face desperation. The movie is also a good reminder that the people you see on the street are often not there by choice. The acting could have been better at times, and the ending cost it a half a popcorn.

Volcano. Strange seismic disturbances in LA lead safety inspector Tommy Lee Jones to realise that an unexpected event has created a volcano under the city that's about to go boom! This late 90s disaster flick came out the same year as Dante's Peak, but unfortunately is nowhere near as good, and certainly hasn't aged as well. It gets real silly real quick, and the effects are also pretty poor and unconvincing and again haven't aged well. Mediocre.

Unregistered User
I love those - even the players or sports I never saw.

I've loads recorded and as you can see really enjoyed what I've watched so far. Cant wait to see more. Any ones in particular stand out for you? If I have them then I could go straight to it.

“I was cured, all right!”

Hell on Earth!
Intense drama without 'background history'. A movie about the event, about a place. Joe Cole (a bad actor) was surprisingly good! The editing and the inconsistent camera screwed with the very good movie that was there somehow. There's lots of unnecessary moments (with a bit of repetition sometimes) and some awful scenes that doesn't even add nothing to characters or for the event (or place) in any way.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I've loads recorded and as you can see really enjoyed what I've watched so far. Cant wait to see more. Any ones in particular stand out for you? If I have them then I could go straight to it.

Yes many, so I'll try to put them in order.
Bad Boys
The Fab Five
The Price of Gold
I Hate Christian Laettner
Nature Boy Ric Flair

Run Ricky Run
Brian and the Boz
One and Not Done
Mike and the Mad Dog
Tommy
The Two Bills

Unregistered User
Yes many, so I'll try to put them in order.
Bad Boys
The Fab Five
The Price of Gold
I Hate Christian Laettner
Nature Boy Ric Flair

Run Ricky Run
Brian and the Boz
One and Not Done
Mike and the Mad Dog
Tommy
The Two Bills

Cheers, I'll keep at eye out for those ones.

Unregistered User

The Night Has Eyes (1942)

I'm a fan of James Mason and although he doesn't really do 'that much', he's still pretty great at it. TNHE isn't particularly terrifying, in fact, it comes across as a mystery romance with noir elements but I'd still recommend seeing it.

Joy (David O. Russell, 2015)

Emotionally mislabelled