Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

If you liked Triangle, you might like Time Lapse (2014).
Yes, I do. I think I’ve sadly sought out & seen pretty much every single film more or less like that, including The One I Love, Frequencies, Predestination etc. Hoping more will be made.

That’s what I thought. But as someone with Russian relatives, I can confirm it does sound a bit Russian. Very odd.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...s-Russian.html
Uh - "Gaga has said she studied the dialect from Vignola and worked in a 'higher class way of speaking that would have been more appropriate in places like Milan'"

I guess it must be the Russian part of Italy.

Ironically, given the stew of characters in the movie, most notably Jared Leto in his baldie wig and fat suit and Adam Driver trying to not look like he's Kylo Ren without a light saber, Gaga's accent was only one of many befuddling things about this movie.

I'm wondering if I'm right that toward the end, Jared Leto shows up in a quick extra role, looking like himself. It was a real quick shot and I was asking myself if that was really him or an extra who had a resemblance.

Uh - "Gaga has said she studied the dialect from Vignola and worked in a 'higher class way of speaking that would have been more appropriate in places like Milan'"

I guess it must be the Russian part of Italy.

Ironically, given the stew of characters in the movie, most notably Jared Leto in his baldie wig and fat suit and Adam Driver trying to not look like he's Kylo Ren without a light saber, Gaga's accent was only one of many befuddling things about this movie.

I'm wondering if I'm right that toward the end, Jared Leto shows up in a quick extra role, looking like himself. It was a real quick shot and I was asking myself if that was really him or an extra who had a resemblance.
Are you saying House of Gucci isn't worth a watch?

[The Bishop's Wife] Bishop Henry Brougham (David Niven) is too busy struggling to get the wealthy of New York to finance his new cathedral to remember how wonderful his wife (the heartbreaking Loretta Young) is or what was really important to him in this life. Unable to raise the funds for the new church without giving in totally to the demands of one particularly powerful patron, he prays for guidance... and gets Dudley (Cary Grant). A great deal of warm sentiment wrapped in Grant's charm ensues.
I admit I cannot objectively rate this film because it is one of few that can actually warm my cold stone of a heart, despite the film being rather Christian and me being rather a devout atheist. It leaves me with tears down my cheeks in the best possible way every time I see it, particularly in the scene when Dudley bares the powerful patron's secret memory to her and reminds her of her soul.
Just a Holiday classic for me that gives me warmth and makes me feel like it's not all bad.
Great pick, Wooley; and I agree with your points. It's definitely in the top 5 Christmas movies-- perhaps in the top 3. I've watched it so many times over the years that I know half of the lines!..

I can't defend this one as being a great film, but I really like it and I've probably watched it 3-4 times (usually skipping to about 30 minutes in). I liked the uncertain nature of the relationship between Pascal and Thatcher's characters, and especially that it doesn't just straight to her trusting him. I saw her distance as actually feeling appropriate (though I agree it makes her a bit less endearing), as she realizes she's at the mercy of an opportunist. And I liked the weirdness of the final act.
There should have at least been a moment where Cee
WARNING: spoilers below
mourned her dad, especially since she also lost her mom. Since she didn't, I felt alienated from her and thus the movie.
I also like the finale, especially for the character I dubbed
"Chekhov's Red Guy." I hope those religious nuts took him in and gave him a good home afterwards.

There should have at least been a moment where Cee
mourned her dad, especially since she also lost her mom. Since she didn't, I felt alienated from her and thus the movie.
I saw her emotional distance during the film as her not wanting to directly deal with that loss. It's one of those things where it makes sense to me, but I also agree that it undercuts audience engagement.

I also like the finale, especially for the character I dubbed
"Chekhov's Red Guy." I hope those religious nuts took him in and gave him a good home afterwards.
Yeah, a great example of how to do something strange and memorable with just a few practical effects.

I also loved the idea that they were going to
bluff their way out by mining the stuff and then it was like "Whoops! Nope! It turns out we are actually terrible at this!"

Are you saying House of Gucci isn't worth a watch?
I enjoyed it in the sort of way when you have low expectations, are expecting something fairly tacky, and your expectations are fulfilled. I wanted dinner (some terrific tacos) and a movie and I'd seen the other flix that were showing, so it's entertaining but not much else.

It's worth seeing just for the fun of seeing Jared Leto in a baldy wig, a really bad Gucci suit and a fat suit under that, not to mention Adam Driver, who is so good at being menacing, looking like a fashion geek with 80's glasses.

Joint Security Area... Wow... I wanna watch it again tonight, but I've got a big to-do list. I love Park Chan-Wook so badly. 97.

I reviewed it in the Horrorcram, but just want to throw out a general endorsement for Mill of the Stone Women.
I haven't seen it yet, but your review did remind me of someone else's comment that 1960 might just be the best year in Horror movie history; I mean, Black Sunday, Peeping Tom, Eyes Without A Face, AND Psycho? Can any other year really match that, or even come close?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Three Steps in the Dark (Daniel Birt, 1953)
5/10
Fragments (Constantine Giannaris, 2011)
6/10
The Freakmaker AKA The Mutations (Jack Cardiff, 1974)
5/10
Ron's Gone Wrong (3 Directors, 2021)
7/10

Lonely Barney (Jack Dylan Grazer) activates his 'Best Friend out of the Box', Ron (Zach Galifianakis), who goes wrong immediately but not about true friendship.
Mandibles (Quentin Dupieux, 2020)
- 6.5/10
She Freak (B. Ron Elliot [Byron Mabe], 1967)
4/10
Lady You Shot Me: Life and Death of Sam Cooke (David Czarnetzki, 2017)
6/10
Rita Moreno: Just a Girl Who Decided to Go for It (Mariem Pérez Riera, 2021)
7/10

She has spent most of her in as many [or more] hardships as triumphs. As Rita approaches 90, she's ready to reveal them and recall her activism.
Single All the Way (Michael Mayer, 2021)
6/10
Silent Night (Camille Griffin, 2021)
5/10
Christmas...Again (Andy Fickman, 2021)
6/10
Spider-Man 3 (Sam Raimi, 2007)
6.5/10

After he comes in contact with an oozing symbiote, the personality of Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) drastically changes, but he still has to fulfill his duties as Spider-Man.
Playing with Beethoven (Jenn Page, 2020)
5.5/10
Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Swinton O. Scott III, 2021)
- 6.5/10
The Feast (Lee Haven Jones, 2021)
5.5/10
The Rescue (Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi & Jimmy Chin, 2021)
+ 6.5/10

Miraculous rescue of a young soccer team from a flooded Thai cave in 2018 is depicted in thorough, suspenseful fashion.
La Bohème (King Vidor, 1926)
6/10
Mill of the Stone Women (Giorgio Ferroni, 1960)
5.5/10
Children Must Laugh (Aleksander Ford, 1938)
6/10
Held for Ransom (Niels Arden Oplev & Anders W. Berthelsen, 2019)
6.5/10

Syria, 2013. While on assignment, Danish photojournalist Daniel Rye (Esben Smed) is captured by ISIS, tortured and held for ransom, but his family can't afford to pay and his government won't.

Beast From Haunted Cave, 1959 (B+)

A nice, cozy, eventful enough 50's monster movie. Somewhat refreshing to not get a whole speech about nuclear technology to explain everything too. The effects are silly enough to be appreciable, and the settings and locations are original, rather than the cheap room-to-room-to-room you usually get.

Phantom From Space, 1953 (C)

Good to sleep on, but not much else. There's one scene where you wonder how the effects were made, a bit like The Invisible Man. Not one of the more interesting ones, but far from the worst.

Take Shelter, 2011, 2nd watch (A)

A great movie about a man's deteriorating mental health and the effects it has on his family. Or is it mental illness? DUN DUN DUN..

It probably is. Everyone here is great and the director lets the actors carry the film. No crazy artifices or techniques, just characters. I don't usually care much for that, but it's fantastic here.

Re-watch of an excellent “active shooter” movie. Talk about topical.

Dead End (2003)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Sugarbaby - 7.5/10

I need to find more movies like this. The only one that's remotely close is "Rachel, Rachel" which is also very good.
It's amazing how a good movie can lift my mood - even if its temporary. What a (cathartic) feeling!

The entire movie is on Prime and YouTube