Things that annoy you in Zombie movies. Or things you could do without

Tools    

Day of the Dead was not very well written or acted in my opinion, and is the weakest of the Romero movies that I have seen probably.

Let's go Sarah. Let's get out of here. I'm beginning to think we should take helicopter before someone else does, says McDermott in Day of the Dead. And then later on in the movie McDermott shoots a zombie in the head and says to the black guy, "Come along Johnny, I'm countin on you to fly us to the promised land."
Umm. Ok. So what are we supposed to deduce from that? Like the movie 2012. Our Lord of the Flies plan worked. I kind of think that McDermott is a scumbag. But year we seem to live in a climate where things are a little twisted and warped.
Well let's see the Andy Warhol gang is ganging up on me.
I think more than anything else, Fear the Walking dead will get to show people coming to grips with society crumbling around them in a way we mostly skipped over on 'The Walking Dead,' says Robert Kirkman, a creator of both shows.

Nature deals us a blow and you reshuffle the deck, says Bernie Lefkowitz on cocoon.
What is Robert Kirkman talking about? Society is crumbling That is exactly when you do talk about religion. If anything to make fun of it, because the religion and bibles and church did not save us. From an auteur and audience point of view it is entertaining. And it gives the movie/show substance. Shaun of the Dead sucked. It was a POS. But I liked Hot fuzz.
And why does society crumble? Probably because people stopped believing in God.
But then again, I started this saying that things annoy me in zombies. But Iraquois has actually made the case or point that maybe I am not annoyed. This is just a broken format. The only saving grace to me with the zombie movies was the comedy. Like throwing the pies in the face or lighting a cigarette on one that is burning. The three stooges routine in Night of the Living Dead. Then also God. Say that we humans are cursed, and yaddayadda.

Hey Romero or whoever if you are watching this, I have a good verse that you can use. In a zombie film. But hey watch Hollywood screw this up. (Well actually it's not a Bible verse per say. It's a quote.
"Two loves make up these two cities; love of God makes Jerusalem, love of the world makes Babylon. Let each question himself as to what he loves, and he shall find of which he is a citizen. Well like I said. In the zombie movies no longer is it Christians are the salt of the earth. But now God is punishing us. Zombieland..and eh bleh. Night of the Living Dead good acting? Broken format = Walking Dead. Shaun of the Dead.Resident Evil. World War Z.

Welcome to the human race...
If anything, the zombie apocalypse reads like a cruel subversion of Christianity's promise of life after death. Kind of hard to have any faith in the resurrection of the body and life everlasting when you're constantly surrounded by people who came back to life only to turn into mindless, rotten flesh-eaters.

If anything, the zombie apocalypse reads like a cruel subversion of Christianity's promise of life after death. Kind of hard to have any faith in the resurrection of the body and life everlasting when you're constantly surrounded by people who came back to life only to turn into mindless, rotten flesh-eaters.

Day of the Dead could have been acted better. It could have been better. But I say that generally to all movies.
Another thing that kind of bugs me about zombie movies but at the same time I guess I enjoy it, the Dennis Hopper being a hypocrite thing, is that it always seems like there is Technology like right around the corner, and just barely off the camera that could wipe out all of the zombies. At any time! Like the whole movie is a charade. Again. Monsters. The power of the name of Jesus, says Sheyrl Faulkner. I could picture a good red box David A.R. White or Kurt Cameron christian zombie film.
Actually if you made a bunch of those you would eventually get to the basic premise of Romero. And how he makes the zombie films. Robert Kirkman must still be frowning.
The baby carrot case, says David Schwartz. Well maybe the zombie apocalypse is happening right now. Maybe it's been going on since the mistake at Eden. I mean are you guys for Eugenics statutes? Or just do everything in your power to not get bitten?

Well Iraquois. I don't even know what a christian is. If you watch Fox news they throw out all kinds of terms that I don't even know what they mean. Like Stolen Valour and an Angel's Dad. It's like they are inferring that I am a dope or stupid. That I don't know what so-called Christian terms are. And I grew up in a Christian household. A christian/religious cult wants to take on zombies or vampires. Why do they call the Iowa vote the witching hour? Sounds pagan. Why do they call the Iowa vote the witching hour? Sounds pagan. I guess we are not allowed to says zombie anymore. Because of political correctness. It has to be a Michael-Man-a thon? With rotting flesh and corpses?

Yeah the creator of The Walking Dead is as pagan and anti-God as it gets. What do you think Iraquois. That is a turn off if you are into the corniness (at times) of Romero's zombie films. Especially if you are talking about how the world ended.

It's only what's left over after the rapture. (i.e. the zombies were all leftists in life!)

It's only what's left over after the rapture. (i.e. the zombies were all leftists in life!)
Eleven different locations attacked, says Monsters.
Has anyone seen fallen skies. I hope that after the rapture (zombie apocalypse, rosanne barr's tweets, whatever) that the survivors aren't all a bunch of goons, quoting Thomas Jefferson and calling themselves the Fifth Mass. How about the Fifth column. That is what the "rapture" really is. I am a christian but I don't fall for the crap. Not from the 700 club goons either. Gordon, Terry, Pat..it's like who is going to be leading us in prayer today. Yo Superman you stealer Howler monkey, I already said that the zombies were all leftists. Although watching Megan McCain on the View today talking about "picking her boogers" I wouldn't be shocked that there are a few of them on the right. I wonder about Shep Smith too. Oh yeah and there was Cavuto with the man who bit off another man's finger story. What does that sound like?

bruh how are you gonna have horror in a zombie movie if there's a machine that can get rid of all the zombies

also learn to spell my username right

bruh how are you gonna have horror in a zombie movie if there's a machine that can get rid of all the zombies

also learn to spell my username right

The Elites are always on the scowl for the next tet offensive.
Come on Iroquois. Don't you like fake tough guys from 1980s movies. ven a normal pagan knows the concept of narrative.

Hey Iroquois have you ever seen Alien Hunter? Kind of a zombie message in that. I guess ultimately aliens are behind all of the zombies. I mean you have the Hollywood God. And the Hollywood "Angel." And Hollywood angels look like monsters. But that isn't too far from what the gnostics believed angels were. They called them Archons.
And now we have the purge movies. Is there a connection? Hey Zombie movies to me represent the good old days.
Yeah I mean the zombie genre has already changed novels. I am guessing the next novel switch will be to fifty shades of grey. You know with a zombie theme.
Actually I have a friend who is pagan. And he does not like the Walking Dead. Probably because, there must be different levels to being pagan. Even a normal pagan knows the concept of narrative.

All the characters in the bunker have been stuck together for however long the zombie apocalypse has been going on so obviously they're all going to be on edge, especially when they don't even like each other all that much and stick to their own factions of military/science/other where possible. With that in mind, it's hard to have much sympathy for the military characters in particular when they are explicitly set up to be ill-tempered, would-be tyrants (and racist/sexist to boot, if Steel's comments about Sarah and Miguel are any indication). As such, I can understand why a character like McDermott would have no patience for him. Besides, I don't know how "involved" Sarah is in the experiments beyond simply finding out about it (is any indication given that she already knew about it before the events of the movie?) and not reporting it to Rhodes in order to avoid shattering the already fragile peace that exists in the bunker.

You are right about the pretty big assumption. About the military. I was wrong when I saw the Dogs we left behind in Afghanistan. That was beyond grotesque. Well John Grierson told his staff that they were propagandists first, filmmakers second. Well this isn't the United States anymore. It is Nice France. Or be Nice.
Obeezie kicked a Fox news guy out of a press conference. Was it because he was a zombie? More bread and circuses. I am not drinking the Kool-aid out of the same straw as these people. Have you ever had a paper cut, says Neil Cavuto. A great ground game and Peter Moskos. But not the Gospel of Peter. People are expendable. And they have to pull their weight. Bruah or dude. You have anecdotal claims. And I commend you. A lot of big cheese on the zombie topic on the Island of the Colorblind. Yeah it is just like the 1960s. Drink some booze. That's why firefighters are constantly constantly fighting forest fires in California. Might is right. And at the end of the day we have Common Core. Well so did you tear up when Abraham died. Or are you more of a Glenn Rhee fan? What's wrong with The Governor? Doesn't he look kind of like Dan Crenshaw. Dan Crenshaw looks more like a zombie than him, doesn't he have a glass eye with the avengers logo on it?

I Notice how after 9/11, September 2001 Hollwood started making tons of Zombie movies. But in the whole Decade of the Nineteen nineties they didn't even make one. Well Scooby Doo on Zombie Island. Can't forget that. Peter Jackson the guy who made King Kong and Lord of the rings made a zombie movie called Dead Alive in 1992. But it was a failure. (And Peter Jackson doesn't count anyway, cuz he is from New Zealand.) The Antichrist will be always at war, and will astonish the earth with his miracles. To me the movie The Fifth Wave in 2016 reminds me of Covid. Especially when the military and Liev Shreiber come and take over. And say that they are the new normal. The New Normal.

Zombie Annoyances

1. There is always someone sneaking in a family member zombie, hoping they will heal, and that family member gets out. Or there is someone hiding their a zombie bite.

2. Biomechanics. Movement requires neurons, muscles, ligaments, and bones doing a coordinated dance. The zombie apocalypse would not last very long. Bodies decay. 28 Days Later gets this right, but that is because they're doing the zombie-by-proxy thing. Zombies (classic zombies) are biologically impossible. The more you try to give a biological account of how zombies came about, the deeper you're getting into midichlorians and origin story of Hannibal Lector (i.e., deconstructing your own mythos, sucking the fun out of it). If you want classic zombies, stick to "When there is no more room in hell..." If you want biologically plausible ghouls, on the other hand, do zombies-by-proxy.

3. Ironic postmodern zombies -- been there, done that. Enough.

4. Inconsistent make up. Hero zombies looking great, but that zombie to the left looks like an extra, which he is.

5. Inconsistent Zombie Specs. How smart are they? How fast are they? How strong are they? How persistent are they? Pick a setting and stay consistent with it. Why? The threat/fear of zombies IS that they are so damned consistent. They are like the inevitability of death itself.

6. Roid Zombies, Fast Zombies, Smart Zombies -- They're zombies. They're not vampires. They're not Usain Bolt. They should not be able to jump 16 feet in the air. They're slow. They're stupid. They're empty. They're inevitable. See #5.

Zombie Annoyances

1. There is always someone sneaking in a family member zombie, hoping they will heal, and that family member gets out. Or there is someone hiding their a zombie bite.

2. Biomechanics. Movement requires neurons, muscles, ligaments, and bones doing a coordinated dance. The zombie apocalypse would not last very long. Bodies decay. 28 Days Later gets this right, but that is because they're doing the zombie-by-proxy thing. Zombies (classic zombies) are biologically impossible. The more you try to give a biological account of how zombies came about, the deeper you're getting into midichlorians and origin story of Hannibal Lector (i.e., deconstructing your own mythos, sucking the fun out of it). If you want classic zombies, stick to "When there is no more room in hell..." If you want biologically plausible ghouls, on the other hand, do zombies-by-proxy.

3. Ironic postmodern zombies -- been there, done that. Enough.

4. Inconsistent make up. Hero zombies looking great, but that zombie to the left looks like an extra, which he is.

5. Inconsistent Zombie Specs. How smart are they? How fast are they? How strong are they? How persistent are they? Pick a setting and stay consistent with it. Why? The threat/fear of zombies IS that they are so damned consistent. They are like the inevitability of death itself.

6. Roid Zombies, Fast Zombies, Smart Zombies -- They're zombies. They're not vampires. They're not Usain Bolt. They should not be able to jump 16 feet in the air. They're slow. They're stupid. They're empty. They're inevitable. See #5.
Yeah #2 is what always seems to remove me from a movie.
Like, the zombie has a broken back, yet can still move around.

The twist on zombie movies like 28 Days and even World War Z to an extent, at least uses a virus that changes the person, rather than actually reanimating something dead.

Romero's movies are fun though.
The original movie was said that it was a space virus that came here on a meteor. And being made in the 1960s, space stuff could do anything I guess

I think the best twist/interpretation of zombie though is The Crazies (2010).
The 2010 remake I think being one of the few remakes that's better than the original Romero movie.
The military have a bio-weapon that gets accidentally set off in a small town... and it turns people into crazed, insane killers, but it takes time to take effect.
You see the characters go through a slow change in personality, eventually becoming completely disconnected from reality and becoming more and more violent.
Good movie tbh.

I think the best twist/interpretation of zombie though is The Crazies (2010).

Have you ever seen Impulse (1984)?

The Rip Van Winkle has been done at least twice, and should probably stop. The Walking Dead and 28 Days Later both have us awake in a hospital and not know what is really going on. This is convenient, because we may just

rather than spend the first act slowly unveiling a zombie apocalypse. We can be put further downstream from the event, but as the hero is the audience surrogate, he can take things a little bit slower in helping the audience get caught up in media res. The hospital bed gimmick both advances the action, but also retards the hero enough that we can catch up with him as he pieces things together.

It's clever, but it's been done twice now, so no more, thx plz.

For me it’s the constant attempt at social/political commentary. I’m really hoping one day for just a visceral ZOMBIE action/war film iwithout trying to make any point of the human condition or us being the real monster blah blah blah it’s tired, it’s boring to me at least.

Case in point.. love the opening scene of 28 weeks later.. that was immense that was all I loved.

Zack Snyders making a prequel to the ****ing awful zombie film he made and this one will have no zombies. How retarded.

For me it’s the constant attempt at social/political commentary. I’m really hoping one day for just a visceral ZOMBIE action/war film iwithout trying to make any point of the human condition or us being the real monster blah blah blah it’s tired, it’s boring to me at least.

Case in point.. love the opening scene of 28 weeks later.. that was immense that was all I loved.

The mindless consumption allegory for the shopping mall and zombies worked pretty well in Dawn of the Dead, but yeah it seems that zombie-makers are constantly trying to squeeze deeper meaning out of the walking dead. That does start with Romeo, tho.

IMO, the fear of zombies is basically the fear of the sheer mass of society itself. What if the herd were to turn on you? The "zombie" metaphor that preppers use is basically a polite way of saying that they're getting prepared for hordes of people to fall upon them like a horde of locusts. Calling them zombies instead of fellow human beings who want food, and water, and medicine, and weapons, and "what else do you have? Sure is nice here. All gone? Guess we'll be movin' on..." veils the stark expectation that people would be killing each other over the last can of corn.

It's a good thing this place doesn't rate threads.

You are right about the pretty big assumption. About the military. I was wrong when I saw the Dogs we left behind in Afghanistan. That was beyond grotesque. Well John Grierson told his staff that they were propagandists first, filmmakers second. Well this isn't the United States anymore. It is Nice France. Or be Nice.
Obeezie kicked a Fox news guy out of a press conference. Was it because he was a zombie? More bread and circuses. I am not drinking the Kool-aid out of the same straw as these people. Have you ever had a paper cut, says Neil Cavuto. A great ground game and Peter Moskos. But not the Gospel of Peter. People are expendable. And they have to pull their weight. Bruah or dude. You have anecdotal claims. And I commend you. A lot of big cheese on the zombie topic on the Island of the Colorblind. Yeah it is just like the 1960s. Drink some booze. That's why firefighters are constantly constantly fighting forest fires in California. Might is right. And at the end of the day we have Common Core. Well so did you tear up when Abraham died. Or are you more of a Glenn Rhee fan? What's wrong with The Governor? Doesn't he look kind of like Dan Crenshaw. Dan Crenshaw looks more like a zombie than him, doesn't he have a glass eye with the avengers logo on it?

I Notice how after 9/11, September 2001 Hollwood started making tons of Zombie movies. But in the whole Decade of the Nineteen nineties they didn't even make one. Well Scooby Doo on Zombie Island. Can't forget that. Peter Jackson the guy who made King Kong and Lord of the rings made a zombie movie called Dead Alive in 1992. But it was a failure. (And Peter Jackson doesn't count anyway, cuz he is from New Zealand.) The Antichrist will be always at war, and will astonish the earth with his miracles. To me the movie The Fifth Wave in 2016 reminds me of Covid. Especially when the military and Liev Shreiber come and take over. And say that they are the new normal. The New Normal.
I go away for a few months and this is the only thing in my mentions?

Leaving aside...most of this, I have to wonder if the post-9/11 surge in popularity has to do with them coming across as an enemy that is human on the surface but a soulless husk underneath, which makes them acceptably threatening targets of violence (to say nothing of how the ensuing societal breakdown of a zombie apocalypse plays into the idea of doomsday preppers).

Victim of The Night
There's too damn many of them?
That would probably be my gripe.
Also, I was raised that zombies were corpses re-animated by voodoo (because I'm from New Orleans), like in White Zombie and I Walked With A Zombie (both of which belong on any list of the best zombie films ever made or you don't know what you're talking about). I'd like to see more of that. I'd like to get back to where the idea of one undead nightmare rising from the grave to stalk people was enough. Because that would be enough for me and would sure be more interesting than CGI walls of "zombies".

My favorite zombie movie is Train to Busan for one reason: manic, asulymatic running. So I could do without the slow-pace (and the apparent super strength that comes from being a decayed mound of dead flesh),