Underwhelming films

Tools    

Which films were really hyped up and left you expecting something special only to have your hopes dashed when you saw the finished product?

- J. Edgar: It wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I thought it would be.

- Stand Up Guys: It was good in the beginning, but the middle to the end was a total cop out.

- Lincoln: Again, not bad, but I didn't think it was nearly as good as everybody made it out to be. My favorite part was Jared Harris as Grant.

- Red State : Didn't know what to expect with Kevin Smith directing a horror movie, but I really didn't care for it at all.

-House of 1000 Corpses : Just not nearly as good as everyone said it was.

- J. Edgar: It wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I thought it would be.

- Stand Up Guys: It was good in the beginning, but the middle to the end was a total cop out.

- Lincoln: Again, not bad, but I didn't think it was nearly as good as everybody made it out to be. My favorite part was Jared Harris as Grant.

- Red State : Didn't know what to expect with Kevin Smith directing a horror movie, but I really didn't care for it at all.

-House of 1000 Corpses : Just not nearly as good as everyone said it was.
I enjoyed Lincoln but can understand why some didn't.

I saw this every time these threads come up, but The Truman Show and There's Something About Mary. The former was just a huge letdown that finished just as it got interesting. While the latter was just unfunny in the extreme.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Frozen. It has a few good scenes here and there but overall it's a muddled mess. The biggest problem I had with movie is how badly it botched the character's relationships. The story jumps around so much between Anna and Elsa, Anna and Kristoff, and Anna and Hans that by the time the it decides to focus on the sister's relationship with each other the movie is over and what should have been the main theme of the film is squashed into a two minute montage of everyone skating in Elsa's ice rink.

Throw in some incredibly bland songs (LIG seems like the only one anyone put any effort into and it's till not even close to Howard Ashman's songs), a pointless last minute plot twist, an annoying snowman and some even more annoying trolls and I think I preferred The Lion King over this one.

Frozen. It has a few good scenes here and there but overall it's a muddled mess. The biggest problem I had with movie is how badly it botched the character's relationships. The story jumps around so much between Anna and Elsa, Anna and Kristoff, and Anna and Hans that by the time the it decides to focus on the sister's relationship with each other the movie is over and what should have been the main theme of the film is squashed into a two minute montage of everyone skating in Elsa's ice rink.

Throw in some incredibly bland songs (LIG seems like the only one anyone put any effort into and it's till not even close to Howard Ashman's songs), a pointless last minute plot twist, an annoying snowman and some even more annoying trolls and I think I preferred The Lion King over this one.
But apart from that it was great?

I had such high hopes for Unforgiven but it was so unlike Clint's other westerns. Very uneventful if you ask me.

That's because Clint Eastwood is deconstructing the Western and dispelling the usual myths and legends that are associated with his traditional Westerns in a manner that is thoughtful and very cleverly done. The point is that the West isn't all that pretty, it's not as simple as good versus bad, and theirs human consequences and moral dilemmas in reality that may not be shown in the movies, "It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man". That doesn't make it uneventful to me, less fast paced and more existential than Clint's more 'exciting and fun' Westerns, but that's the point.