Movies people can't dislike without losing your respect

Tools    

I'm so glad that someone said the Princess Bride. I think there is a law that says you have to love that movie. If there isn't, there should be. I would have to put Donnie Darko on my list. That's one that generated some discussion with my wife, such as "What the hell just happened?" Grerat movie, though.

If I met someone who didn't like Garden State that could be a problem, same goes for Gene Wilder in Willy Wonka.

Aye boy don't spit in my drink!
I automatically jump to very negative conclusions, not only about a person's taste in movies, but their soul as well if he/she doesn't care much for Disney movies.

hmmm lets go with

American Beauty

Cmon, It Rules!

and as of lately

Crank

for obvious reasons...

If someone told me they didn't like City Lights, I would question whether or not they had a soul. I also gasp when some folks tell me they do not enjoy the Back to the Future trilogy or the Planet of the Apes series, excluding the remake of course. (We have been down that road already.)

Chappie doesn't like the real world
If I met someone who didn't like Garden State that could be a problem, same goes for Gene Wilder in Willy Wonka.
I missed this post until now. I did not like Garden State.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
OK. I guess I've either missed or avoided this thread for personal reasons, but I'll admit that I wouldn't lose any respect for anyone over a movie. I guess it could be the straw that broke the camel's back, but probably not even then. On the other hand, I guess it could cause me to reexamine why I respected them in the first place. But no, I don't find it a deal-breaker. I would still try to get them to watch the movies I loved though, no matter how subtle I do it. You know, rufnek, instead of watching "The Office", you tell them that's what's on, and then The Apartment or Executive Suite comes on.

I'm happy I read this thread because I can now see that rufnek and I actually have some things in common; I mean, besides being old.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I'd seriously consider slipping out the back on someone who didn't like The Princess Bride. Not saying they're the devil, just that we would not be compatible. And they're the devil.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Anyone who thought the Shawshank Redemption was crap, well I'm about to test my woodchipper, and I have no wood.

The Shawshank Redemption is crap, actually.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?

Jump in

I don't really judge people on what movies are their favourite, only because my favourite is A Clockwork Orange and I know a lot of people that either haven't seen it or think its wierd, or have no understanding of it at all. so i have to accept the fact that not everyone is going to like the same movies as me.
I think that if your on a date you need to find common ground, but that doesnt always have to be movies. could be music, or maybe sports, or tv shows.
but if the guy doesnt like Edward Norton than I must, for all fans kick him, hard, in the shin.

Save the drama for your Mama
It's definitely nice if you share a common love of movies with your significant other, but you're never going to enjoy ALL the same movies. Hopefully you can at least appreciate some of the same genres. Though my husband cannot abide Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill, which really makes me wonder sometimes .......

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
While I love movies I don't expect other people to love them as much as me. There really isn't any movie that I'd be bothered by or lose respect for someone if they didn't like it.

My girlfriend does not like Lars Van Trier at all. She doesn't like Dogville, but will give Dancer in the Dark another shot, simply because she likes Bjork. So all is fine.

She loves Audrey Hepburn so I can't complain.

I think that's the only thing that would annoy me on even a minor level, if a girl didn't like Audrey Hepburn.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Spaceballs and Blazing Saddles. I find that an inability to appreciate his humor results in difficulties in one's friendship. I mean, i make all sorts of references and they dont get it

It's definitely nice if you share a common love of movies with your significant other, but you're never going to enjoy ALL the same movies. Hopefully you can at least appreciate some of the same genres. Though my husband cannot abide Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill, which really makes me wonder sometimes .......
well kill bill part 2 is pretty horrible - and pulp fiction defintly is no reservoir dogs