fave movies set in the south

Tools    

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
i am from tennessee and kinda proud of my southernese accent as some would say. i don't know how many people on here are from the south or from the north, but i was just sitting here wondering what is some of your fave movies set in the south? my choices in no particular order are steel magnolias, forrest gump, gone with the wind, band of angels, walk the line and to kill a mockenbird. one just for the scenery was midnight in the garden of good and evil.. didnt stack up to the book but was still good.

A Time to Kill
To Kill a Mockingbird
Steel Magnolias
Cold Mountain
Fried Green Tomatoes
‘O Brother Where Art Thou
The Color Purple
Sling Blade
The Apostle
Driving Miss Daisy
In the Heat of the Night
Forrest Gump
The Rainmaker
Angel Heart
Walk the Line
Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil
Ride With the Devil
Crimes of the Heart

And wasn't Big Fish and Carrie both set in the south?

EDIT: Forgot a few:

The General
Norma Rae
Southern Comfort
Interview with a Vampire
Coal Miner's Daughter
My Dog Skip

And BTW... I'm in Louisiana...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
gees how could i forget some of those!!! like fried green tomatoes and the color purple!! this is how i feel... but i don't look like this at all... hahaha

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Well, both Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte and To Kill a Mockingbird are in my top ten. Slingblade and The Apostle are favorites of mine too. There are probably quite a few really good movies I could come up with if I thought about it more.

Incidentally, I also live in the south (Florida) although I wasn't born here.

Well, both Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte and To Kill a Mockingbird are in my top ten. Slingblade and The Apostle are favorites of mine too. There are probably quite a few really good movies I could come up with if I thought about it more.

Incidentally, I also live in the south (Florida) although I wasn't born here.
I forgot about Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte... haven't seen it for years...

Save the drama for your Mama
Wow, you've just about covered it, plenty of my favorites already!

A couple more I'm quite fond of: Places in the Heart, which I think is set in Texas but sure is Southern in nature. A really touching movie, my fave Sally Field, I'd say. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Probably a few other chick flicks I could come up with if I set my mind to it.....

I am half agony, half hope.
Cool Hand Luke, Steel Magnolias, and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Johann von Goethe

All those movies listed and just one by Tenessee Williams? Many of his greatest plays were adapted for the screen, especially in the 1950s and 1960s, most of them set in the American South. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951), Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958), Sweet Bird of Youth (1962), The Rose Tattoo (1955), Baby Doll (1956) and This Property Is Condemned (1966) are some of the best.

And for the record, I was born in Virginia and have spent most of my life in Maryland though now I have happily fled to the West Coast.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

When I think of the South I always think of Bette Davis in in films like Jezebel and Little Foxes. To a little Scouse kid sitting watching B&W films like that on tv of a wet Sunday afternoon, the South seemed a deeply exotic place.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
All the King's Men
Gone With the Wind
Giant
A Streetcar Named Desire
Black Like Me
In the Heat of the Night
Hustle and Flow

are just a few

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

i am from tennessee and kinda proud of my southernese accent as some would say. i don't know how many people on here are from the south or from the north, but i was just sitting here wondering what is some of your fave movies set in the south? my choices in no particular order are steel magnolias, forrest gump, gone with the wind, band of angels, walk the line and to kill a mockenbird. one just for the scenery was midnight in the garden of good and evil.. didnt stack up to the book but was still good.
Well, my favorite part of the South is my home state of Texas, and one film that shows Texas at its best is Cloak and Dagger (1984), starring Austin-native Dabney Coleman and filmed in large part along San Antonio's beautiful Riverwalk that runs under the city's downtown streets. Lots of other San Antonio landmarks also are visible. Another movie that focuses on the hot streets of downtown San Antone is Viva, Max! (1969) in which Peter Ustinov plays a modern Mexican general who recaptures the Alamo. The movie was filmed within the Alamo grounds and the nearby stores, restaurants and office buildings that surround it. Many out-of-state visitors are aghast to find the Shrine of Texas Liberty in such a mundane setting, but Texas has always been about progress. We tear down and build up so often that any building with four coats of paint qualifies for a historical marker. On the other hand John Wayne's silly version of The Alamo was filmed further south at Bracketville as was the silly 2000 version with Billy Bob Thornton. No one yet has ever made a historically accurate film about the Alamo.

Still, when you come to Texas be sure to drop by the Alamo and see the one addition to the historic site left behind by the crew of Viva, Max! Facing the double doors of the main entrance to the Alamo chapel, if you look to your left you'll see a metal flag pole in the corner where the front of the chapel meets the wall around the chapel ground. This flagpole is only inches from both walls but not touching either. The story behind that flagpole is that there's a scene in the movie where, after capturing the Alamo (by the Mexican soldiers disguising themselves as tourists and rushing the chapel door just at closing time as an elderly staffer tries to wave them off), the Mexican general orders one of his men to climb up on the wall and raise the Mexican flag over the Alamo. Not so fast! say (in real life) the Daughters of the Texas Republic who are in charge of preserving and operating the Alamo. They absolutely refused to be a party to such a sin! But they finally agreed to let the movie crew put up a Mexican flag as long as it was on a pole outside of the Alamo enclosure and not attached to the facility. So the flag pole was built and shot from an angle inside the grounds so that it seems to be flying over the Alamo without really doing so!

Piranha (1995) was filmed in a lovely area around San Marcos, a little east of San Antone. Besides Texas scenery, you can see in the background of one scene my brother-in-law, then a student at the local college, playing a National Guardsman picking up (and then dropping) another extra who's supposed to have been chewed up when someone releases toothy piranha into those lovely Texas streams.

You can see part of my home, Houston in The Hellfighters (1968), Brewster Mccloud, Terms of Enderament (1983), Robocop 2 (1990), Urban Cowboy, and especially Local Hero (1983) when some of the skyline was brand new. You can see Houston and the NASA area to the south in Apollo 13, and to the southwest the neighboring community of Sugar Land (its proper spelling) in The Sugarland Express.

Hud is one of my favorite films made in Texas as is Giant because they were filmed out in West Texas during my teenage years. I love that West Texas desert! Other films that capture the gritty feel of the border area around El Paso are The Border (1982), Courage Under Fire (1996), Steve McQueen's 1972 version of The Getaway and Last Man Standing (1996).

I can't say for sure it was shot in Texas, but Home From the Hill, which helped make George Peppard a star, looks, sounds, and acts like the part of East Texas where I grew up. Another film that really captures the feel of rural Texas is Secondhand Lions (2003). Other great depictions of smalltown Texas can be found in Tender Mercies, The Last Picture Show, Blood Simple, Paris Texas, Dazed and Confused, Honeysuckle Rose. Texas scenery is about all I can recommend from Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and Red-Headed Stranger, But Lonesome Dove has both good scenery and good acting. Other Texas films include Rushmore, Bottle Rocket, Nadine, The Newton Boys, Songwriter, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Flesh and Bone, and the ever-popular Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I think it's just a weird set of coincidences but my favorite actress, favorite comics artist, and favorite rock band are all from Texas (Shelley Duvall, Gary Panter and the Butthole Surfers, respectively).

Not that this is a very well thought out list, but I think my favorite "southern" films are Brewster McCloud, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Paris, Texas, Lone Star, Thieves Like Us, and Alamo Bay, all but two ('Brother' & 'Thieves', I think) of which are set in Texas.

Little Nicky

It's set in the south... the deep south!

Little Nicky

Hehe Nice one OutBreak!!! You sure where thinking hehe...

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Im from england but i love anything to do with the South. I LURVE steel magnolias, i love the accents everything about it ps huge dolly parton fan

Song Of The South is also a forgotten favourite of mine

Im from england but i love anything to do with the South. I LURVE steel magnolias, i love the accents everything about it ps huge dolly parton fan

Song Of The South is also a forgotten favourite of mine
Song of the South is a good choice. Saw it when I was a kid and then again as a teenager when I accompanied the lady next door, her young daughter and my youngest brother to a later rerelease. Leaving the theather, I was commenting on how enjoyable that film is, especially the Disney cartoons, after all those years. "Yes," said the neighbor lady, "and wasn't it wonderful how they trained those birds and butterflys to fly around Uncle Remus' head!"

I thought she was joking at first, but she was as serious as a heart attack! I've always wondered what she would have thought of Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

Little Nicky

Naw, the weather wasn't hot enough for the Gulf Coast.