One hit wonder directors

Tools    

I suppose I should rephrase this. Either a director who has only had one critically acclaimed film or a director who you think has only had one good film. For example, Jonathan Demme with Silence of the Lambs. Although Philadelphia was big, I didn't really enjoy it.

Thanks for clarifying... Would Carnival of Souls count then?
This topic has now become a matter of opinion but did Herk Harvey direct any other films besides Carnival of Souls? If so, I'm not familiar with them.

Besides that, the film didn't really get recognition 'til way later, slowly gathering a relatively large cult horror fan following and some respect, although I can't say for sure how popular it is now compared to the major horror classics everybody knows like Exorcist... but I thought it might qualify since it's at least a minor horror classic and his only movie?

I agree, i also thought Unbreakable was quite good. I wouldn't say he is a one hit wonder for me at least since the only 3 movies of his i've seen i enjoyed.
M Night has many movies, most of them are just meh but really a "one hit wonder"? I would say that is personal opinion. The Sixth Sense bored me. I never seen Unbreakable. Signs was just ok. I enjoy The Village. I never seen Lady in the Water. The Happening was another ok film. The Last Airbender HE RUINED!!!! and well After Earth, dont plan on seeing.

He made millions off his films so I dont consider him a "One Hit Wonder".

I was discussing this topic with my daughter and she stated "if a film is critically acclaimed by a director" then he cant have just a one hit wonder. I found this online.

"His early works, such as The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs, were critically acclaimed and gave Shyamalan the reputation as the "plot-twist" director, or just simply "that Indian guy". However, his last three films have performed poorly at the box office and were basically giant pieces of cinematic ****."

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/funny-2065-m....#ixzz31F2FOvFR

I suppose that could qualify. The same can be said about Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom since the director, Pier Paolo Pasolini, didn't live to see the later cult following of his film which I doubt was as renowned back then as it is now.

I suppose that could qualify. The same can be said about Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom since the director, Pier Paolo Pasolini, didn't live to see the later cult following of his film which I doubt was as renowned back then as it is now.
Pier Paolo Pasolini has many films that are part of the Criterion Collection. I dont consider him a "one hit wonder" director. He also co-directed films with other directors.

He made millions off his films so I dont consider him a "One Hit Wonder".
This doesn't effect how good the films are.

But the majority that like him would agree that M. Night made three 'good' films with Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs and has been sh*t since.

Pier Paolo Pasolini has many films that are part of the Criterion Collection. I dont consider him a "one hit wonder" director. He also co-directed films with other directors.
I was referring to his cult following in comparison to Herk Harvey.

This is the reason I have more or less rephrased myself. Shyamalan has only made one movie that wow'd me and that was Sixth Sense. I feel like I should enjoy his films more than I do because he lives only a half hour away from me. I actually know some people that have been in his films. Small roles but still.

So are we to go by our subjective opinions of a director who made multiple films but only made one we thought was good? Or go by directors who directed a single film which was critically admired or at least gained a later following? Or what?

I was referring to his cult following in comparison to Herk Harvey.
Pasolini was known to push "cinematic boundaries" for the period he directed films. If you go back and watch "Teorema", "The Decameron", "Arabian Nights", "The Canterbury Tales" and some of his other films, you will see. "Salo" only pushed the boundaries a bit further but not by much.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Neill Blomkamp. District 9 is great, Elysium....not so much.
I really liked Elysium, I think many people did, not quite as good as D9 but then again, that's one of the very best sci-fis I've ever seen.

I can't believe anyone would credit The Blair Witch project as a hit, that movie bored the hell out of me but I totally agree
Oh God, I hated that movie, I can't believe how big it was at the time, maybe it's cos it was the first "found footage" film after years of Halloween and Scream lighting up the cinema.

Now for my pick and I know people may think I'm made but Brett Ratner, I loved Rush Hour as a kid and I still love it now. It was big silly fun with some of the best on screen comedy in any comic duo, sadly the sequels have been terrible and Ratner almost single handedly destroyed the X-Men franchise.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Although Thunderbolt and Lightfoot and Year of the Dragon are good movies, the name that sticks out for me is Michael Cimino for The Deer Hunter.

Bob Brooks of the Tattoo (1981)