What age were you allowed to watch rated r movies

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
By my parents? It depends on the movie. My dad allowed me to watch Terminator 2 as age 9, but he would not allow me to watch Robocop 2 at age 10 for example.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I was 7 when I saw my first R-rated film without having my eyes covered and I'll always remember it: Class of Nuke 'Em High.

Probably 7 or 8, maybe younger.

But it had to be something my mom had already seen and approved and I had to watch it with her (my dad was usually working and isn't a big movie guy anyway, so he never really gave any input on it). My mom could only handle so much kids' entertainment/Disney, so her solution was to let us watch R rated movies with her.

I think I was nine when I saw my first R-rated film (Conan the Barbarian). As a whole my parents didn't restrict that much what I could watch (I guess it helped to have a three year older brother).

I remember that we weren't allowed to watch Dirty Harry when it came from television few months before we saw Conan and couple of years later my dad didn't rent The Hitcher for us when the video store clerk said it was really disturbing (my brother rented it few days later when there was less concerned clerk who had no problems renting it to couple of kids).

My fathers parenting were a little different, I remember I liked to smell my father cigarette smoke, I was 5-6 years old. My mother took a cigarette, said me to put it in my mouth and then she lighted and told me to smoke it, I never coughed so much, I actually have that on video. Never touched a cigarette since, not with tobacco at least. This applied to everything else.

A system of cells interlinked
Allowed...or at what age did I start watching them?

It really depended on the film. If it was something like Conan (as mentioned above), Excalibur, or The Road Warrior, my mother was more apt to let me watch it. It mostly depended on the amount of sexual content, I think. Regardless, she would usually watch a film first, then decide whether or not to let me see it.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
The children of the 80's lived in a R-rated movie.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Predator was the first movie I ever saw and I was four years old at the time. Dad was all too eager to let me see it. So there's your answer.

Depended on the movie. I remember being allowed by my parents to see the Howling and Stripes in theaters when I was about 8 but was not allowed to see films like Porky's or Friday the 13th. The local theater used to let kids into R rated films if you had a note from one of your parents saying it was ok for you to see it. Back then you could do just about anything with a note. I was often sent up to the liquor store with a note and a $1.25 and would walk out carrying two packs of Vantage cigs. After a while the theaters/ liquor stores would get used to seeing you with a note and eventually would stop asking for it. By the time I was ten I was cruising into the theater to see Friday the 13th Part 2 and Spring Break with an unlit smoke hanging outta my yap (.

Haha, 9 or 10, it was when i saw basic instinct illegally and developped a fixation on sharon stone

Weird is relative.
It didn't even occur to me to watch R-rated films until I was 13 and starting to buy and rent movies on my own.

I remember my parents inviting me to watch one with them in the cinema a year before when I was 12, but I was too scared of the gore and some horror aspects so I declined.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
In Australia it’s a little different - R is most likely our MA 15 plus and nc 17 is our R 18 plus. One of the first Ma’s I saw was sleepy hollow. I went to the cinema with my mum. We had to watch this making lf feature which aired on tv before hand which included all the gore special effects so I wasn’t so traumatised. It was such a great and thrilling experience for a 11 or 12 year old. Wasn’t traumatised and was a special moment in my childhood.

So, sleepy hollow was the gateway drug and in the next year I was prob allowed to watch ma at will. I was close enough to 15 then.

I don't remember ever having restrictions on what I could watch so, very young I guess.

As for my kids, it doesn't matter to me so much what the movie is rated but rather why it was rated as such. For example; if a movie shows nudity, I don't really care but if there is a graphic sex scene or vulgar humor, I don't let them watch it.

Are you still not allowed within 100 metres?
Yeah im not allowed near the guy within 100 yards, that was the court decision