Noah (2014)

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
I'll never understand why Crowe still receives roles
I know right! He hasn't had a good role in years, especially one as a lead. Aronofsky as a director is interesting but not always consistent, I found The Fountain to be almost unwatchable, The Wrestler was quite boring bolstered by some terrific performances but Black Swan was all class....what can he do here with such a big budget?

From the trailer it looked decent-ish but the special effects didn't seem convincing and Russel Crowe seems on autopilot, again.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I think this could be a great movie. Russell Crowe is perfect for the role. Great actor a devout believer. I could see him very much as Noah. And Jennifer Connelly is perfect as Noah's wife. Their chemistry in a beautiful mind should transfer over.
Well, I too am eagerly waiting for this movie and moreover u made a good point
abt the combination of Russel & Jennifer

My hope is that there's a massive twist ending where the whole thing was a huge hallucination by John Forbes Nash after forgetting to take his meds again

I see why Crowe winds people up, he is the closest thing we have to Brando nowdays.

That said he is a powerful screen presence and a great actor in most roles. Its difficult to see through the miasma of abuse against Crowe now but oif you look beyond it to his great and diverse performances in the likes of The Insider, Gladiator, LA Confidential, Cinderella Man, Romper Stomper etc, it all makes sense.

This movie isn't that I thought it would look like at any rate, I am intrigued...looks like a Roland Emerich movie.

Well they got the acting power for sure. Darren Aronofsky is the director.

Is this the nest Passion Of The Christ level blockbuster?

I don't think this one has the controversy potential that attached to Passion. It's not Jesus and Noah is like a silly creation myth. Crowe seems like he could be in his element if he gets to be a patriarch. It's been a while since the last biblical epic, so maybe it's time. I am curious about what Aronofsky will do. His movies are always at least interesting, even when they are not successful, so I'm hoping that he brings something interesting to the story, aside from the bible school platitudes.

When the tagline is "The untold story..." you can be pretty sure it's not going to be the story you're familiar with. So no, shockingly, religious people are not going to get behind a weird-ass graphic novel twisting of the things they believe in. We're funny like that.

I'm hoping that he brings something interesting to the story, aside from the bible school platitudes.
Eh, lots of great stories are based on simple platitudes; that's how they become platitudes. That doesn't mean they can't be beautifully or interestingly told (see: The Lord of the Rings, whose source material even has its own creation story parallel to The Bible's).

A straight telling of the Noah story with a large budget and a sense of scale would be pretty entertaining, I think. And it'd probably make more money than whatever mutant version we're probably going to get.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Religion and I have never gotten along, but that isn't because of the ideas portrayed, rather, it's because of some of the people that follow it. I could spend the next paragraphs ranting and raving, rationalizing and crediting, but that's not really what this is about. I respect people with religious beliefs, just as long as they respect my own, and I mean REALLY respect my beliefs. Not, "Well, I respect your beliefs, but I hope you learn someday," or "You're in for a warm surprise."

Oh, mom, you kidder.

Noah doesn't have the same biblical relevance as The Passion of Christ, or coming up, the Son of God, however, it does seem like it has more potential to be an entertaining movie. The idea of a man collecting all animal types to keep the population, and putting them in an arc in-preparation for a flood is ... silly and over-the-top. As somebody else said, it seems more like an old-wise tale or myth, believe whatever you want, that's just how it seems. And I feel like that makes for a more entertaining movie. Also, Emma Watson is in it, that one boy from Perks of Being a Wallflower is in it, and um, while I might not go see it, I think it could be entertaining.

Oh, ... and Anthony Hopkins, he's in it!

... and Russel Crowe.

I don't know about this one. It looks like it could be interesting just as a movie, but it also is clearly not taking the biblical story into account much and I like my movies based on stories to least try to be accurate to the source material a little bit more than this movie is going to be. I might see it for fun one time but I doubt I'll see it in theaters.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Now that one looks horrible. At least The Passion had aramaic
There's a ten-hour mini-series called The Bible, a lot of people seem to like it. Anyway, they basically sliced up footage from that, then, put it into a more bite-sized two-hour movie. So, as said, I'm not religious, I'd recommend going out and buying the miniseries instead. I read that while Jesus Christ is only in five of the ten or so episodes, there's also a lot of other educative biblical stories to behold.

Now that one looks horrible. At least The Passion had aramaic
I get a larger view of Christ's life and not just the hate stomping he gets. Plus I really do need to see the mini series this was taken from.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I don't know about this one. It looks like it could be interesting just as a movie, but it also is clearly not taking the biblical story into account much and I like my movies based on stories to least try to be accurate to the source material a little bit more than this movie is going to be.
and now the Bible folks know what it's like to be a comic book fan. LOL.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

and now the Bible folks know what it's like to be a comic book fan. LOL.
Not sure I understand what you mean. I happen to be one of the "Bible folk" as you call it, and a comic book fan. Unless you are implying this is as accurate as comic book movies, to which I can agree with.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Not sure I understand what you mean. I happen to be one of the "Bible folk" as you call it, and a comic book fan. Unless you are implying this is as accurate as comic book movies, to which I can agree with.
That's exactly what I'm saying. I have never read the Bible, won't lie, but I can imagine how frustrating to those who have to see liberties taken with it. I LOATHED the Fantastic Four movie...so this is like the Biblical "Fantastic Four," I guess. LOL.

Russell Crowe's new film Noah has been slammed by critics and religious circles, including criticism from Muslim groups...
The film has also been banned in several Islamic Countries through accusations of blasphemy in some scenes toward the Prophet Mohammed.

The film has been called cringe-worthy, blasphemous and makes a mockery of Christian Beliefs and mocks the Bible.

The character of Noah has also been twisted into a tree-hugging hippy type who has been written as a kind of "vegan animal-rights activist" who is more interested in brawling with poachers who have trespassed on his land.
The overall story has also been labelled as a cheap story designed to prod at the current paranoia about Global Warming.

Paramount's defence was "we took artistic liberties"... though for some reason, the film wasn't pre-screened before general release, adding more fuel to the speculation that Paramount were genuinely worried about public and critical reaction.