The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Tools    

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Let the film be 3 hours, it's supposed to be 3 hours or more, there is to much in the book to cram into the time that they are wanting. This will really suck if they don't give it the 3 hours it needs.
Isn't it a little late for all this to be coming up, the movie get's released in like 2 months exactly.

"Dragon Tattoo" Runtime Debate, New Video

October 21st 2011

David Fincher's adaptation of Stieg Larsson's best-selling novel "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" has appeared to have had a relatively smooth run behind-the-scenes so far.
Today though came a speed bump - the issue of runtime according to The Playlist. Fincher currently sits on a three hour cut of the film, but Sony Pictures wants a version no longer than two hours and twenty minutes.
Directors and studios always battle over runtime but usually the discrepancy isn't this large. Nor is this new for Fincher who famously feuded with Paramount over the runtime of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button".
While that film ended up running 166 minutes, it cost Fincher - the studio essentially scuttling his "Torso" and "Heavy Metal" projects which were in development at the studio at the time.
Playlist posits that if the ordeal escalates, it is possible Fincher may not return to direct the next two films in the proposed 'Girl' trilogy. That sounds a bit alarmist, and one should remember Fincher had no problems with Sony over "The Social Network" - though that film clocked in at a tight two hours exactly.
The previous Swedish-language adaptation of the 533-page book was shot as a three-hour mini-series which was edited down to a two-and-a-half hour film version for its theatrical run. Even at 150 minutes though it had to cut quite a few elements out of the book to fit. The two-hour film cut of the sequel "The Girl Who Played with Fire" lost huge swaths of the second book much to its detriment.

I will never understand the issue of running time. You'd think that The Lord Of The Rings trilogy would have convinced most studios that people can tolerate long films as long as the they enjoy the film. I think Fincher will have his way in the end, specially considering his track record and The Social Network's success.

Whilst enjoyment is an issue and whether it'll get an audience, the other reason, (possibly the main one now?) is that longer films mean less viewings per day which, of course, means less money.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I do not go and see a movie at a theater very often but I was really planning to see this in theater, if they cut the time back I will 100 percent not be going to see this. I will just wait for the dvd which will hopefully have the full length version.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
It must be such a bummer being a Film Director and having to deal with A hole Studio Execs.

I suppose they must have some focus group result that says people don't want to sit in the Cinema for more than 2 and a bit hours.

When a film is good at the Cinema (a rare event these days) I don't want it to end.

I can't wait for the score music CD, apparently - don't know if I misread, but it's got over 2 hours worth of music on! Bliss. And it better have the Immigrant Song cover on it, the cover that is a million times better than the original.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
From Killerfilm.com

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo opens a day early
Dec 13, 2011

Those who are anticipating David Fincher’s remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo are in luck today as Columbia Pictures has announced (via Coming Soon) the film will open a day early on December 20th. With the film opening on Christmas weekend, the studio is hoping to earn as much money as possible by giving the film an extended weekend. This same thing was done for all three of Michael Bay’s Transformers films, and several other films.

Saw this on Wed. Good film. Fincher bettered the Swedish version, but in hindsight, that wasn't exactly going to be difficult. Only difficult part was Rooney Mara's portrayal of Lisbeth, and for my money, she does a great great job. Noomi's interpretation is still iconic though and her vulnerability is somehow sexier than Rooney's.. But Rooney is still fantastic in her own right though. Her Lisbeth is a bit more childlike yet just as violent and resourceful as Noomi's.

Fincher basically added a killer title sequence, slicker than your average direction, sharp editing and a good pace to outwork the original. The original..although I really liked it, has very little energy and just lacks the flair Fincher brought. It's a good film, but Fincher's version is just more cinematic and thus better for me. I prefer the original's ending though

I do think it's still a pointless remake on top of what I have said, however. Despite being a more skillful adaptation, it doesn't really reveal anything new or give me a different perspective on the characters, except maybe Lisbeth.

I do welcome a remake of the sequels though. I have yet to see the last one, but The Girl Who Played With Fire could do with some sorting out.