Louie

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I came into this season a bit skeptical. I'm growing tired of the show being nearly entirely about Louie's relationships with women. I enjoyed "Model" and "So Did the Fat Lady," though the latter episode's climactic rant went from being insightful and frightening to preachy and average by the end. The first few episodes of the Elevator arc were mediocre compared to the show's regular, and I was getting really annoyed at that point, finding the show's sincere treatment of Louie and Amia's relationship offensive when positioned directly after "So Did the Fat Lady." My favorite part of the first three episodes of that arc was an opening scene that showed Louie romantically shopping followed by awkwardly delivering his creation to Amia's aunt.

It wasn't until Part 4 that i think Louie made its return. From the therapy scene through the elegiac flashback, it exemplified what Louie does best, which is finding social and personal truth through humor (something I was first moved by in the "Heckler" half episode). This episode was in many ways the defining and turning point of the arc. The opening scene instantly brought legitimacy to his relationship with Amia as well as set up hurricane Jasmine-Forsyth as, among other things, the impending emotional reality of Louie's current life. By tying this whole scene together in a single, modest take, he spatially, and thereby emotionally, ties Amia to his daily life and we remember that this scene begins at the TV. This brief scene felt like a revelation and was a key guiding point in the arc.

The show has since been brilliant, from the smaller comedy of Todd Barry's minutely hilarious and depressing daily life, to the hilarious yet also emotionally stark "reality" (I wonder about Hertz's involvement in one of Louie's most expensive scenes) of the hurricane hitting New York. With the most recent episode, Louie has cemented himself as America's historian of the present. The gender politics that now clearly have been the season's focus are continuously real, fascinating and terrifying. Tonight's episode is one 90-minute show, and for the first week, I'm not at all skeptical of the show's continued abilities.

A few weeks ago I started watching Louie, because so many members here love it. I just finished it (that is the four seasons that are already available) a few hours ago and I really liked it!

I can definitely see why so many of you call him the modern day Woody Allen, but I love how he is at the same time also pretty different at times.
In a sense, he plays it much less self-aware than Allen does in most of his films. He lets situations develop and the character(s) and the audience learn "lessons" or can derive meaning from those developments. Of course there's an inspiring piece of dialogue from time to time (I particularly think the doctor with his three-legged dog in season four is pretty great), but the show's strength comes from the way something is told visually (I love the few surreal sketches that he sometimes randomly puts in an episode) or how a certain story develops in interesting, unexpected ways. It's all very Allenesque, but Louis C.K. still kind of succeeds at making it feel original. I'm very curious to see what the fifth season will have in store!

Now it's time to start watching Twin peaks.

Anybody watching the 5th season currently? I thought it struggled for footing a lot in the first two episodes but regained form in a big way in the third.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I thought the first 2 seasons were great, then he took that long break, and I haven't been loving the latest stuff. He shouldn't have taken out the standup.

His standup is so much better than the show now, but it was just as good before.

And you see, I feel the opposite. The standup have always been a crutch to fall back on in the show and I think the show has generally been better when he isn't using it. I laugh more during his standup than I do during his show, but I think his show is fundamentally funnier than his standup and has more lasting humor. Louie sort of discusses and mocks this concept in episode 2 of the 5th season. A young comic is a huge failure when he's telling his depressing stories while straight faced, but when he makes a silly voice during it everyone laughs. The joke is also about Louie's standup, always meant for laughs, clear in tone, and his show, which is often very ambiguous about what the audience should feel.

I saw all the episodes - and I think that new comedian's success is attributed to comedy and showbiz being fickle. His standup was pretty short before anyway. I think he's stuck between being a comedy show and a serious show now.

I saw all the episodes - and I think that new comedian's success is attributed to comedy and showbiz being fickle. His standup was pretty short before anyway. I think he's stuck between being a comedy show and a serious show now.
I think the comedian's success is parody of both the comedy business and a self-criticism. I don't know exactly what you mean by stuck between. I'd more likely say situated because I think the combination of comedy and drama, and not knowing what's what is exactly where Louie wants to be. The third episode was great and the fourth one might've been even better, both were very precisely structured shot to shot. The fourth episode is definitely one of the weirder episodes in the series as a whole and all the better for it. The only thing that's disappointed me about the 4th and 5th seasons is a stepping back from the earlier seasons' disregard for continuity. Before, the disparate parts of Louie were connected by an emotional continuity, whereas now they're connected by a basic narrative continuity.

I will probably watch the new episode today. We'll see.

I'd love to see him perform standup. Last time he came around here tickets were sold out so quickly.

It's crazy, because I had a dream the day before the Louie episode, where I saw my legs detached from my body. When I woke up I thought of "Wild Strawberries" and what people say about seeing yourself in a dream. Then Louie (you saw Clockwork Orange!) is having bad dreams, and I knew I would as well, and had a dream I was pregnant! Had a weird one yesterday and didn't wake up til 10am, very odd for me.

Good episode.