Red State (2011)

Tools    

Red State Kevin Smith

Ever since Clerks (co-winner of the Filmmakers Trophy at the 1994 Sundance Film Festival), Kevin Smith has been known for his sharp, subversive, comedic writing. He shifts from comedy to horror with Red State and aptly demonstrates that good writing transcends genre.

Red State begins by following three horny high-school boys who come across an online ad from an older woman looking for a gang bang. Boys being boys, they hit the road to satisfy their libidinal urges. But what begins as a fantasy takes a dark turn as they come face-to-face with a terrifying “holy” force with a fatal agenda.

Instead of relying on archetypes and predictable formulas, Smith meticulously fashions all-too-real characters, utilizing exceptional performances (notably by Michael Parks) and an intelligent script. His realistic style gives the film an intimate feeling, heightening the terror to biblical proportions. Red State is a shocking new kind of horror film that aggressively confronts higher powers and extreme doctrines with a vengeance.

[ropeofsilicon]

Looks like your typical Hollywood horror flick nowadays. Might give it a shot one day when I'm bored around the house. Parks and Goodmen are good.

Love it when directors known for a particular genre or style change it up dramatically and do the unexpected. This looks like it could be good. If Smith focuses on atmosphere and a general feeling of unease, like the trailer hints at, then there is very little that can go wrong.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Kevin Smith's prayers just got answered.

The wacky Phelps family just released this handy lil guide to who God H8's.

no i am not making this up.

&feature=player_embedded

The soundtrack is the best part imo.

A system of cells interlinked
"Red State is a shocking new kind of horror film that aggressively confronts higher powers and extreme doctrines with a vengeance."

Say, Mr. Smith - when will you confront Neo-Liberal Imperialism?

Director bans UK critics from seeing latest movie

It might be the years of bad reviews he's had since 'Clerks', or it might be doubts about the quality of his new film, but director Kevin Smith suddenly decided last night that he didn't want any UK critics at the early screenings of his latest film 'Red State'.

'Red State', a horror movie about a group of teenagers who go looking for sex but find a group of religious fundamentalists with a worrying agenda, had been scheduled to screen to press on Monday.

But distributor Entertainment One UK contacted critics just three hours before the announced start time to inform them that Smith had personally cancelled the showing to implement a "different screening strategy" in the UK.

Smith's movie has already screened extensively across the US, and UK critics took to Twitter to express their displeasure at the sudden change of heart.

When a user drew the director's attention to the outrage, he commented from his twitter account (@ThatKevinSmith):

"So it might taint their reviews? Perish the thought... #OnlyPayingCustomersMatter"

Spurred on by support from his followers, Smith then decided to ban 'whining' journalists and allow 'real fans' to beg for seats at the next showing of the film, adding, "why show it to some of the loudest s**t-talkers for free and NOT folks who REALLy wanna see it?" (sic)

Bloggers and critics were stunned by the move, and some saw it as a personal attack.

@MaxRenn replied: "I have loved some of your films (not all), I increasingly object to being told that we who write about film aren't fans"

While @DineHard, who gave up paid work to watch the film that evening, commented: "Genuinely bemused by @ThatKevinSmith. Going to watch Clerks in one of the many formats I own and remember the days when I wasn't evil"

It could be a shrewd move by Smith, as fans may well spread the word about his generosity. But if the film does screen to UK journalists it is likely to get a hostile reception. Perhaps we'll find out once and for all whether writers or audiences shout loudest.
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/05072011/...t-movie-0.html

^ Usually a bad sign when critics are banned from seeing a film.

I can't stand Kevin Smith films so far, but hoping a Horror film might change that, Gaiman liking it and the fact it is getting those horrible fundamentalist morons in a sissy fit.

Not a huge fan of Kevin Smith, but I like some of his movies pretty well. I want to see Red State for sure, though. Really interesting that he did a horror film. Doubt it will be as creepy as that Phelps family video above, though.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Is this out already in Mumbai?? it's not even out in America or Britain until September/October time.
There's already been screenings for it.