do you think videodrome is one of the best surrealist films ever?

→ in
Tools    

i loved this movie since the first scene, it felt weird, intriguing and mysterious, it was visually impressed with this gore, weird and bizarre movie, He was able to foresee the importance of television for mankind, influencing people with sublimated messages, manipulating audiences and becoming very powerful, and how violence on screen can generate violence. I particularly like the following quotes: "The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye"
As mentioned, every element of this film works. There are amazing set-pieces (throbbing televisions and gurgling video cassettes) and moments of beautiful photography (the shots of Renn approaching the harbor for instance), it is a breathtaking film with its bizarre nature.
james woods is at his best here as man who constantly into this surrealistic world and things happening to him.
He has always been one of my favorite actors and brings to Renn a level of sleaziness which is portrayed here brilliantly by him
shame not many movies are as imaginative as this these days.
have your say.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I saw this movie when I was hanging out in a bar in Indonesia. I had a read of the inflight magazine and there was an article about RF which I found interestingly disturbing. Didnt know anything about the movie but watched him to check out the new IT guy in the movies. Really liked it, and really liked him.

Unfortunately he then hit the news in Aus a few years ago because of a mile high incident on a plane from WA to Mumbai. I really dont want to see what actors do in their lives offscreen. Kinda turns me off seeing their movies.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Some 12 years ago I did a work on Videodrome and other movies for college. It has a hole plethora of goodies to dissect. Specially in what constitutes the perception of reality and the media.

Some 12 years ago I did a work on Videodrome and other movies for college.
Using Videodrome as an assignment sounds like a lot of fun. Definitely a lot of material to work with there. While I never did anything with Videodrome, I did write an essay on eXistenZ in University, which has some similar themes regarding technology.

As mentioned, every element of this film works. There are amazing set-pieces (throbbing televisions and gurgling video cassettes) and moments of beautiful photography (the shots of Renn approaching the harbor for instance), it is a breathtaking film with its bizarre nature.
I agree. I really enjoy the visual style of Cronenberg's early work.

Also, thanks for making a new thread for me to add to the Cronenberg club. (Mostly everything there is really old haha)

Using Videodrome as an assignment sounds like a lot of fun. Definitely a lot of material to work with there. While I never did anything with Videodrome, I did write an essay on eXistenZ in University, which has some similar themes regarding technology.
They are both quite similar, except one relates to tv, the other to video games. But they are essentially the same.

Videodrome was only a small part of the assignment if I recall correctly, there was more to include.

So what kind of assignment was it? Was it for a media course? I'm pretty sure my paper was for a Philosophy in Film class (nearly ten years ago, which makes me feel old now). I should revive my old laptop from its slumber and see if I still have a copy on there somewhere, but I think it might've been on the computer before that (which I don't have anymore). I'm curious to see what I wrote, because I don't even remember what the topic was, other than that I did eXistenZ haha.

So what kind of assignment was it? Was it for a media course? I'm pretty sure my paper was for a Philosophy in Film class (nearly ten years ago, which makes me feel old now). I should revive my old laptop from its slumber and see if I still have a copy on there somewhere, but I think it might've been on the computer before that (which I don't have anymore). I'm curious to see what I wrote, because I don't even remember what the topic was, other than that I did eXistenZ haha.
Contemporary Philosophy and the media [related to Art].

I miss college often. Maybe one day I'll resume it.

So our assignments were for fairly similar classes then. Did you not finish your degree, or are you just thinking about going back and doing more? I keep thinking that maybe I should go do my Masters, but then I'll just be more in debt and there already aren't any jobs here, so it's kind of pointless haha.

So our assignments were for fairly similar classes then. Did you not finish your degree, or are you just thinking about going back and doing more? I keep thinking that maybe I should go do my Masters, but then I'll just be more in debt and there already aren't any jobs here, so it's kind of pointless haha.
I finished my Masters but not my PHD.

As much as I loved it all, maybe I should have done something else instead of continuing down the Philosophy path. Maybe Literature or Cinema studies. I dunno.... I have many interests.