Chevy Chase For Another Vacation

Tools    

Well, I'm not sure how much this will mean to most of you, but I've been reading up one of my favorite actors, Chevy Chase, and trust me it's a hard thing to do to find info on him.

Anyway, He has really gone down over last few years and As much as I feel he shouldn't have, he has anyway, but thats beside the point...He was talking with Warner Bros. and wants to do another vacation film since he loves playing the character, and as Kevin Smith recently screwed him of the new fletch movie, Chevy only took it the way he could, like a man, but yeah that was totally wrong.

I myself and hope you do as well want to see Chevy Chase's wonderful career come back up...so if you would give us a volte on here or even your thoughts on the situation, and lets get warner brothers enough buzz to maybe help Chase out...

Thanks..

How did Kevin Smith screw him on the Fletch movie? It would hardly make sense to have Chevy Chase play the Young Irwin Fletcher in Fletch Won. Chevy was offered a wrap-around and v.o. and flatly refused.

I like Chevy, too, but I don't think he was screwed on Fletch. He's solely responsible for not being involved in the project at all.

No not at all, the way it went was Kevin Smith was agreeable with Chase that he would write the new fletch script, that was in 1998, 2 years went by, and kevin smith never sent nothing to chevy chase or got in touch with him, and we they met again, he called it off leaving chase hanging instead of telling him before then that he wasnt interested anymore.

Chevy Chase wanted that role badly as he does the vacation film again, he looks at ppl like bill murray and adam sandler and would like a bulky role again instead of crap like snow day.

Universal had the rights to Fletch and asked Kevin to direct (it was during this time that Smith and Chase spoke about the project). Then Universal backed out of the whole thing. Miramax later bought the rights to the Fletch series when Universal let them lapse specifically for Kevin Smith to direct. But his plan was always to do Fletch Won, which required a younger Fletch. Even when the project was at Universal, he wanted Jason Lee as the Young Fletch.

He offered the wrap-around and v.o. to Chase and still has an open offer to Chase. Chase isn't interested if he's not the star of the picture. If he wanted to do the wrap-around and v.o., he'd have the part.

http://www.canoe.ca/JamMoviesArtistsC/chase_chevy.html

that's the story I heard with that there link.

And if that is the way it went (your story) I can't blame chase anyway, I mean why should he keep excepting crap roles, and yet he was the one that carried the Fletch films.
Cuz that's the point of this post. To get Chase back into a spotlight of major roles, not just sidekicks.

But even if Smith just didn't want Chase in the movie, that's hardly screwing him. No actor has a right to a role just because he played it at one time. I loved Chase in "Fletch", but it wouldn't make any sense to have him play Fletch in "Fletch Won". It's Smith's movie. His company is producing it. If Chevy Chase wanted to make more Fletch movies, he could've bought the rights to the books and produced them himself with himself as the star.

Clearly he's only interested in the pictures if he can be the star of them. No small role is good enough.

Well, I take it that's no vote from ya for his return to greater success.

Starring in yet another Vacation movie isn't going to get Chevy Chase back into good roles. I think he's worn Clark Griswold out completely.

As for that article, that jobes with what Smith has said. Universal talked to Smith about doing Fletch, but he was doing Dogma at the time, and it just sort-of fell apart. And it fell off the radar screen until very recently when Miramax picked up the rights and Kevin got involved again (though since he's been working on Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, he's not done too much with it yet). This article predates the time when Miramax got the rights and Smith started thinking about Fletch again. And it was after this article that Smith talked about the wrap-around and v.o. and wanting to use Chevy for that. It's since come out that Chase didn't want to be involved if he wasn't the star of the movie.

Of course, Chase is wrong to say that Smith had his own ideas of what to do with the character. Gregory McDonald is the one who had the ideas. From this article, it appears Chase wanted to use the character to make a movie that was not based on the books (like the far-lesser "Fletch Lives") while Smith (who is a big fan of the books) wants to make a film that is very close to the books (specifically "Fletch Won").

Chase needs something to get his career back on track, and I don't know why he can't find those roles. I don't know if it's that he's turning down offers on small pictures or if he's just not getting the offers he wants. I don't know if his previous comments have made it tougher for people to want to work with him (he's made public comments about not liking working with first time directors, and he's trashed some movies that he's been in) Making another Vacation movie is not going to make him any more respected of an actor.

In recent years I've almost felt sorry for the guy, but I think he's brought a lot of it on himself.

Well, That's kinda how I feel, I mean I think it's alittle of both myself, he refuses alot of roles, but he himself also says he doesnt get much offered to him lately.

He even turned down the lead in American Beauty cuz he wants to stick with family oriented films.

But after all is said and done, I'm only hoping he gets back on track, as he said himself as well; he's getting older now and its only getting harder.

Who really cares, you know? Chevy Chase is a hack. He's the Vanilla Ice of cinema. Every couple years he stages a comeback, and every couple years he fails miserably. It's a real shame, because I'm sure he's talented, but it's his own fault for choosing bad roles, ie Snow Day.

I don't know about Kevin Smith screwing him, but I'll watch a Kevin Smith picture any day before I watch a Chevy Chase one.

Originally posted by DerrickLevron
He even turned down the lead in American Beauty cuz he wants to stick with family oriented films.
I think Spacey was offered it before anyone, but I may be wrong. In any case, I thank Christ that he turned it down, because the movie wouldn't have been as powerful unless an actor as powerful as Spacey played the role. And Chevy Chase is never powerful. I doubt he can even spell the word "powerful".

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Boo to Chevy Chase!! Boo!! But thinking about him not having much of a career anymore is rather depressing.

Honestly Chevy Chase is rather a hysterical comedian . Don't forget about SNL and etc. Like I said in an earlier post though, his last good movie was "National Lampoons Christmas Vacation". I believe it's just the roles he is given that makes him not as good. With no more vacations left ( except for that poorly written vegas one) , and just nothing handed to him to give to us his extroadinary humor talent, he will be be missed by fans. Thanks to reruns of SNL and DVD rentals of all his movies "Christmas Vacation" and before, he will live on.

I agree jr, though I feel he can really make a come back if he gets good roles offrered, but that's not his "fault" cuz he chooses roles like snow day, what kinda choice does he have, that might be all he CAN get, I mean a guy has to make a living.

Actually, I suspect one of the reasons he only gets roles like Snow Day anymore is because he's gone out of his way so many times to trash the people he's worked with and the movies he's been in. If you're a pain to work with, fewer people are going to want to work with you.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
The two vacation movies I liked were the first one and the christmas vacation. I thought that vegas was pushin it since the kids still lived at home. I mean how old were they in the first one??? It's like the kids never really age. So if they do do another one, you would think the kids would be gone out of the house or something
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Well, if that's that case ryanpaige, then Val Kilmer wuld never act again lol, I mean he has been known to not work well with others also, but that has nothing to do (in my own opinion) not landing great roles or even being offered them. Whether he is a person that's hard to work with since he's a good actor anyway (like kilmer) he should still be sent them no matter what.

Val Kilmer does lose roles because of his difficulty. And Kilmer doesn't, to my knowledge, go and trash the directors of these movies or the movies themselves when he's supposed to be doing press for the movies.

Perhaps Chase has learned his lesson (because I don't recall him trashing Snow Day), but he trashed Cops & Robbersons (a movie that should be trashed, but not by the people in it) and its director, among others.

And now he's trashing Kevin Smith for being left out of Fletch Won.

You can't tell me that his attitude doesn't cost him some roles.

Well, perhaps he may, but still ppl will still send things no matter what, but a question for you...

Why, where, and when did he trash Cops & Robbersons? I nev er heard about that one.