Kevin Smith (new age master or newest Disaster)

Tools    

Guy
Originally posted by ryanpaige
How did Smith "blast" Magnolia in the film? By having one of the people who badmouths Jay and Silent Bob on the Internet go by the handle "Magnolia Fan"? If that's blasting, then he most certainly blasted his own movies far worse.

The thing is that Smith had an opinion (like everybody) on Magnolia. He was disappointed in it because he had higher hopes after liking "Boogie Nights" so much. And he expressed his opinion on the movie. Does that mean he hates PTA? No. Does that mean he even hates "Magnolia"? No. He's repeated said otherwise. He expressed an opinion on a movie that he didn't like as much as he wanted to. Then it gets blown out of proportion by fans of either of the two directors. I doubt PTA really cares (and I can't imagine that he'd be offended by the off-hand Magnolia fan comment in J&SBSB), especially not enough to "retaliate".
True, I think smith needs to shut his mouth about other filmmakers and try to write better films rather than milking jay and silent bob for all it's worth (They're even doing a cartoon film I hear)

Why should Smith not be allowed to express opinions about other films (not filmmakers. He expressed an opinion about "Magnolia" not about PTA) just because he happens to be a filmmaker, too. He is, first and foremost, a movie fan. If he shouldn't be allowed to express his opinions on a film, shouldn't we all be barred from expressing opinions on films? Why does his job prevent him from being able to express his opinions?

(More importantly, why does your opinion of Smith's films negate his ability to express opinions on other people's films? Does someone have to be able to make "great" films by your standard to make any comments on other films? Since I doubt any of us here has made a "great" film by your standards, should we all refrain from expressing any opinions on other films?)

I think the mans a geniuos, but one thing his superman script didnt look thatt good i think its ok that burton is taking it over.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

How did Smith "blast" Magnolia in the film? By having one of the people who badmouths Jay and Silent Bob on the Internet go by the handle "Magnolia Fan"? If that's blasting, then he most certainly blasted his own movies far worse.
The brief comment in J&SBSB alone doesn't count as "blasting", but the comment coupled with his past objections for the film is blasting in my book.
The thing that's funny to me is that Smith has said that his past comments about Magnolia have been taken way out of control, and that he doesn't even hate the film, he just "doesn't like it as much as Boogie Nights".--- Fast-foward to the J&SBSB scene in which he basically disses it.

I doubt PTA really cares.......especially not enough to "retaliate".
I didn't mean real retaliation, only in a half-serious sort of way, like (for lack of a better example) Eminem does in his songs, jokingly mocking different people (or in PTA's case, Smith films). I'm only suggesting that this could go back and forth a few times, as a little inside joke between friends (as KS and PTA are friends, as Kevin has agnoliged).

Guy
Originally posted by ryanpaige
Why should Smith not be allowed to express opinions about other films (not filmmakers. He expressed an opinion about "Magnolia" not about PTA) just because he happens to be a filmmaker, too. He is, first and foremost, a movie fan. If he shouldn't be allowed to express his opinions on a film, shouldn't we all be barred from expressing opinions on films? Why does his job prevent him from being able to express his opinions?
I never said he shouldn't give his opinions on film, he can feel free to do so, but he did say once I remember how PTA was wrong in making his company lose money for Magnolia, and with a personal film, such a big budget wasn't necessary. He also said Tim Burton was a thief and stole his idea in a comic book. He may be joking, but he should realize the only person who knows he's joking is him if he's writing it from the computer, where it isn't what you say it's how you say it.

I'm not saying he isn't allowed to bash other films or filmmakers, I just think he should concentrate on what he needs to do, and that is write. Not just popping out another JSBSB every time he needs money for his kid.

I see this made you pretty angry because it sounds like you like Smith very much. I like the guy too, I never said I didn't like the material, Chasing Amy I thought was great. I just said I didn't like where he was going with Jay and Silent Bob. Now he's making action figures, and clothing of them, he made a cartoon and is doing a cartoon film. Basically he's milking them for all their worth. He practically begged his fans and many others to go watch JSBSB multiple times. That doesn't seem right to me.

"(More importantly, why does your opinion of Smith's films negate his ability to express opinions on other people's films? Does someone have to be able to make "great" films by your standard to make any comments on other films? Since I doubt any of us here has made a "great" film by your standards, should we all refrain from expressing any opinions on other films?)"

I didn't imply any of this, to each his own, as I said I thought Chasing Amy was a "great film". Everyone should express their opinions, but if you're in Smith's situation where he has bashed two directors and was "misunderstood" both times, he shouldn't do it again.

The way I see it, people should have respect for each others in their own profession. Whether they liked the film or not, they shouldn't make negative comments about each other. (he called Tim Burton a thief and liar basically. That is not right.)

This wasn't meant as a hostile post BTW, I hope it doesn't come off that way.

I'm not mad at your blasting Smith. I'm upset because I'm tired of that whole idea that he (or anyone else) shouldn't be allowed to express their opinions just like regular people based solely on their jobs. I hear that a lot, and I hate it.

He expresses an opinion. Who cares? Who cares what Kevin Smith thinks about Magnolia or any other movie anyway? I don't understand why it becomes such a big deal to people that Kevin Smith didn't like a movie. There are all sorts of movies I don't like, but nobody makes a big deal about when I don't like movies. Why does Smith get blasted? Because he makes movies, too (I make movies, too)?

It's completely stupid. And like I said, even PTA doesn't care about it, so why should we (and PTA fans focus in on the guy named "Magnolia Fan" as a blast, but the "Good Will Hunting" cracks are perfectly okay? Why is that okay and just calling a character who didn't like Jay and Silent Bob "Magnolia Fan" a blast against "Magnolia" or PTA. I saw it as a blast against the Magnolia fans who blasted Smith on the Internet for having the audacity to not like "Magnolia")

So again I ask, why blast Kevin Smith because he expressed an opinion? You disagree with his opinion, that's fine. But to get your panties all in a wad about it seems a little silly to me. To go off and say Smith should not express opinions as a fan and should sit back and write because he needs it (in your opinion) is silly (and hypocritical. Shouldn't you be doing something to make yourself better instead of blasting Kevin Smith?)

And I don't know why Smith should be blasted about the Burton thing at all. He joked around with one of his friends who happens to be a reporter and the reporter prints it as if Smith was serious and gets Burton's response (well, his publicists' response). But even if Smith had been serious, who cares? Again I ask, what difference does it make what Kevin Smith thinks? Why is it so important to others what Smith says?

If he isn't allowed to express opinions, neither should we be allowed to express opinions. His job shouldn't preclude him from being a movie fan.

....PTA fans focus in on the guy named "Magnolia Fan" as a blast, but the "Good Will Hunting" cracks are perfectly okay?
The "Good Will Hunting" cracks are okay because Damon and Affleck are good friends with Smith, as is Gus Van Sant. Smith also makes fun of Affleck in "Phantoms". Affleck and Damon (jokingly) blast Smith all the time, and I was only suggesting that PTA do the same (jokingly is well).

By the way, I was not blasting Smith at all. I respect the man. (I hope this doesn't come off as stand-offish, I don't mean it that way).

Guy
It's not big deal. I just thought these celebrities are like role models to many people and should be more responsible in what they say. Legions of Smith fans after his Burton comments are now completely "anti-burton" and took what he said the wrong way, and now many Smith fans make it their business to bash PTA because they thought Kevin did. It's not what you say it's how you say it, and many of what Smith says is not interperated correctly. I guess he should be clear in what he says.

I just don't think that should be the responsibility of the filmmaker (or speaker in whatever element) to make sure that no one takes his comments the wrong way. Someone will always misunderstand. It's the fault of the fans themselves for taking these comments so seriously (and fans of other movies. What got me into this discussion in the first place was the comment that PTA should retaliate) and being stupid about it. But it's not Kevin's fault that some of his fans are morons.

If Smith made sure nobody misunderstood him before saying anything, he'd never be able to ever say anything because there is always going to be someone who doesn't understand. But that's not Kevin's problem (or shouldn't be). It's the problem of the people who can't be bothered to understand.

Originally posted by SupremeLegend01 The "Good Will Hunting" cracks are okay because Damon and Affleck are good friends with Smith, as is Gus Van Sant. [/b]
And Kevin Smith was a producer of "Good Will Hunting". He's one of the people who got that movie made by getting Harvey behind it.

Well, just thought I'd pipe in and say that I'm on ryan's side here. Smith can express his opinion if he wants to, I'm sure it's not meant any personal disrespect to Anderson (who is extremely talented, something that Smith has acknowledged). I admire Kevin Smith for giving his opinion, instead of being a Hollywood b-tch and kissing everybody's a-s.

Who cares?
The point is we're comparing apples to cheesecake here.
Forget about Kevin Smith and think:
Wes Anderson or PT Anderson?
These are the two true geniuses

Wes Anderson is superior owing to the fact that he's a Texan.

PPPbbbttttthhhhhhh!!!!!!!!