Judge Dredd

→ in
Tools    

I watched this the other night (currently going through a Sylvester Stallone phase...). Not the first time I've seen it by any means, but I think it's a great film. Okay, the acting and plot aren't brilliant, but the script is awesome, and Stallone plays him brilliantly. Also Armando Assante (is that it) obviously LOVED playing Rico - it really shows, and as the saying goes, the devil gets all the best lines.

"On the charge of being human, when we could have been gods! GUILTY"

Stallone gets some classics too:

"And you will be alone, when you take the long walk that all judges must take, into the cursed earth, to bring law to the lawless" (very inaccurate quotation, but you know which one I mean).

"Didn't you ever have a friend?"
"Once" (notice how it avoids cliches there...)
"What happened? Come on Dredd, tell me!"
(Long pause)
"I judged him."

"You let me judge my own brother?!"

"I am the law! Put down your weapons and prepare to be judged!... I knew they'd say that."

"It's a lie! The evidence has been falsified! I never broke the law! I am the law!"

I could go on, but I won't. Suffice to say, if you want a good bit of easily watchable cartoon violence, then check this one out .

MovieForums Extra
I actually liked that movie a great deal, I saw it on video a couple of years ago...the quote that sticks to mind is when he says "I AM THE LAW" with his rather crooked mouth and accent, pretty deep stuff there! Although I've heard that the movie was criticised as being terrible, one of his worst roles ever, and possibly one of the worst movies ever?!

It's up there as one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I didn't like it at all. (And it's not that I don't like Stallone. I just didn't like this film. Of course, all that Judge Dredd/I Am The Law stuff was all played out by the time they made the movie.)

Didn't see it.
I really didn't like this one either.

It s too bad that this film s plot is just one of the worst ever in an action blockbuster film, the worst in an andrew g vajna production

"How tall is King Kong ?"
They were stuck between an iconic helmet and a star's face recognition value. The result isn't very dredd-y.

Have you watched the 2012 Dredd with Karl Urban and Lena Headey ? This one is a brilliant film.

They were stuck between an iconic helmet and a star's face recognition value. The result isn't very dredd-y.

Have you watched the 2012 Dredd with Karl Urban and Lena Headey ? This one is a brilliant film.
I prefer the 95 one for some reason, but the plot is just hideous

'95 was a time Sly could get away without a plot, maybe he was on his last (last) legs, but I do enjoy both of them.

Difference between the two movies:

Dredd 1995... stands in the street, hands on hips, first line of movie:
"I um... duh luh!"

---

Dredd 2012... after an hour of hectic battle and Anderson getting captured:

"Inhabitants of Peach Trees, this is Judge Dredd.
In case you people have forgotten, this block operates under the same rules as the rest of the city.

Ma-Ma is not the law... I am the law.

Ma-Ma is a common criminal; guilty of murder, guilty of the manufacture and distribution of the narcotic known as Slo-Mo, and as of now under sentence of death.
Any who obstruct me in carrying out my duty will be treated as an accessory to her crimes... you have been warned.

And as for you, Ma-Ma... judgement time."

Difference between the two movies:

Dredd 1995... stands in the street, hands on hips, first line of movie:
"I um... duh luh!"

---

Dredd 2012... after an hour of hectic battle and Anderson getting captured:

"Inhabitants of Peach Trees, this is Judge Dredd.
In case you people have forgotten, this block operates under the same rules as the rest of the city.

Ma-Ma is not the law... I am the law.

Ma-Ma is a common criminal; guilty of murder, guilty of the manufacture and distribution of the narcotic known as Slo-Mo, and as of now under sentence of death.
Any who obstruct me in carrying out my duty will be treated as an accessory to her crimes... you have been warned.

And as for you, Ma-Ma... judgement time."
yeah i agree, the sly film at least u know who s in charge, while the karl urban film, u don t feel the same kind of charisma