New Member!

Tools    

Only when breaking their promise would be completely irrational. In this case he was promising to do something to avoid banning, and not doing it would get him banned, so his behavior was pretty much inexplicable.

That's just silly, though. You wouldn't have banned him if he had just come out and told everyone who he really was?

Correct. AM I NOT MERCIFUL?!

But seriously, plagiarizing is usually done by newer members, and usually it's just out of insecurity and not maliciousness. They worry that their opinions won't be up to snuff. And since some of our oldest, most respected members made that kind of mistake when they started out, I think it makes sense to be really understanding about it. And it usually works out: most people don't indulge that forgiveness the way this guy did.

What exactly did he plagiarize? OUR reviews? Did he take anything of mine?

I just think this guy probably went, "Screw you, I'm not gonna confess" while going, "Ummhmm! Yup! I'll do that. Sure."

There's something about your cheery, optimistic attitude that is very "Mommy On Ignore" -- meaning your threats are too lenient and don't seem serious and it makes them behave in the bad manner anyway because, who cares? Mommy is willing to forgive. She'll just accept a stupid apology and be done with it. But then when they're bad, Mommy comes in and rages hellfire and throws out the punishments and the groundings and suddenly Mommy is the not-so-serious bitch from Hell.

You have to just lay down the law -- AND BAN. Or say, "One more chance and if you blow it, you're gone for good." None of this, "Now say you're sorry. Now go apologize. Go tell them what you did!"

No, other stuff. Mostly from professional reviewers, I think it was. It wasn't very well hidden, either; it sounded totally different from some of his other posts.

I can't figure out why he thought anything he did would work, or not be noticed, or whatever, other than the initial plagiarism of course.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I can't even wrap my head around why someone would admit fault and then immediately do it again, as if we wouldn't notice.
I'm sure he'll make a fine politician.

Your approach, Yoda, is too condescending. That's why they don't listen to you.

He's not exactly being a tool, but he's acting like one, I think.

Your approach, Yoda, is too condescending. That's why they don't listen to you.
But they do, because most of them are rational. The whole point of what I'm saying is that this guy is an outlier.

But they do, because most of them are rational. The whole point of what I'm saying is that this guy is an outlier.
He's a what?

God. Use common words when communicating. Then you won't have problems.

Outlier isn't that uncommon a word, although Yoda does tend to over-represent the breadth of his vocabulary at times.
He constantly does. This is the problem.

Outlier isn't that uncommon a word, although Yoda does tend to over-represent the breadth of his vocabulary at times.
It's only over-representing if I deliberately go out of my way to find a word I don't already know, or would not otherwise use, simply to impress people. And I do that almost exactly 0% of the time.

As you say, outlier is not an unusual word. And when I read someone else who uses the occasional word I don't know (as opposed to a barrage of them, which is usually a sign of insecurity), I take it as a reason to learn more words, not to demand that they stop showing me new ones.

So, to each their own. But this is how I actually talk, and I do it because it best conveys what I want to say. I don't dress it up or talk all that differently online than I do in real life. How you guys react to it is your business.