New Member!

Tools    

Hi, I've never joined a movie forum before which is odd because it's probably my primary interest.

I enjoy a lot of older movies. My favourite filmmakers are probably Alfred Hitchcock, Fritz Lang, Nicholas Ray and Orson Welles, but I also like some newer directors like Paul Thomas Anderson and Ye Lou.

This site looks like a really nice place to be, hopefully I'll enjoy posting on here!

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Very interesting! The only Sixth Generation Chinese filmmaker I've seen so far is Jia Zhang-ke, but I'm definitely interested in more. Welcome to the forums

Very interesting! The only Sixth Generation Chinese filmmaker I've seen so far is Jia Zhang-ke, but I'm definitely interested in more. Welcome to the forums

I've only seen Platform and 24 City so I wouldn't say I've seen enough of Zhangke's films to make a judgement, but from what I have seen he's a very gifted filmmaker! I've just bought The World on DVD so I'll check that out soon also.

Suzhou River is by far my favourite Lou Ye film. I couldn't recommend it more

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

T_L_P has been banned.

Background: this was ThomasP, a member who was caught plagiarizing reviews awhile ago (he was doing the same on his blog). We were very lenient about it at the time, and he admitted fault and asked to be banned, but eventually reconsidered and asked for another chance. We agreed...and then he inexplicably did it again almost immediately.

Same kind of thing with this name: when we noticed who he was, we said he could have yet another chance if he simply explained who he was in this thread. I told him that lots of highly respected members had made similar mistakes early on, and it's easily forgotten and forgiven. He agreed, and then proceeded to simply not do it, even after I both reminded and warned him.

I can't fathom what his thought process was through most of this; all I know is that he's wasted a lot of our time.

Other bannings have been way more dramatic and interesting, but this one's just weird: I can't even wrap my head around why someone would admit fault and then immediately do it again, as if we wouldn't notice. Or why they would promise to come clean publicly and then just sort of sit on their hands for a few days, like we're going to just forget we asked. Total moderation timesink.

I remember the guy who was banned for being a prick and was so stuck up about insisting on calling movies "films," got banned, started another account posing as someone else all so he could say he was not being pretentious.

What a douche.

If we're thinking about the same guy, then I'm pretty sure holds the record (by a wide margin) for most times banned. And he kept coming back every so often even months later. Incredibly stubborn, even though he was caught easily each time.

On the plus side, that guy burned through so many disposable email address services that he was inadvertently a really useful research assistant in tracking them all down for us, so we could ban each in turn. Dude was the most unintentionally useful pretentious ass ever.

Yoda, you need to get out more. You think people will always do whatever it is they promise to do.