28.57%
2 votes
Resident Evil
0%
0 votes
Showtime
7 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Competitive, no?

Computer Animation is hot right now. Monsters Inc. and Shrek are two of the biggest grossers of the last 12 months. Can Ice Age continue the trend? I hope so. It looks fun. The trailer was hilarious. And the web site is a hoot. I'm looking forward to this and I hope it beats out the other two. But it won't be easy. I'll predict First.

Resident Evil has a fan base already. And zombie movie fans will come alive this Friday, believe you me. Yes, they're out there, frighteningly enough. Paul Anderson (that's without the "T") has one awful record - Soldier, Mortal Kombat, Event Horizon. But some early reviews have actually been positive. It doesn't have much competition if it wants to take the best zombie movie ever made crown. Can this be the Ultimate Zombie Movie TM? I doubt it. I'll predict Third.

Showtime has got a great pair of leads and a director off the back of a success (Shanghai Noon). But it looks so ordinary and De Niro again looks so disinterested. He can't even work up a smile in the poster. This will make money on the strength of Eddie Murphy and De Niro but I hope it doesn't. I'd hate to see Eddie go back to the fast-talking cop persona that he took on before. Just stick to the comedy Edward - Bowfinger and The Nutty Professor were you at your best. I'll predict Second.

1. Ice Age (kids, Star Wars geeks, and even plenty of teens will swarm to it)
2. Resident Evil (teen market. Just watch)
3. Showtime (seems more like a steady-grossing kind of movie to me. No big bang to start, IMO).

LeesMovieInfo.com, which is usually pretty reliable, has Ice Age taking first, Showtime in second, and Resident Evil in third. The Show/RE thing is the only real debate this weekend in terms of placement (plenty of debate to be had for specific numbers, of course). It's gonna be close! Lee himself seems to think it'll be $19m to $13m, roughly, in Showtime's favor, but if RE does drop to third, I don't think it'll be by more than a few million. I think the teen market's gonna turn out with a vengeance.

This is how I see it going

1-Ice Age-27m-Its comoputer animated which are doing great now , good reviews , alotta buzz , great promotion , and the SW trailer could help

2-Showtime-19.5-Could open higher but the trailers are kind of unfunny. Deniro and Murphy teamed together could rake in the dough though

3-Resident Evil-11.2-Sure fans of the video gamne will see it , but most of them are under 17 , and will probaly buy a ticket for Ice Age. Other then the fanbase , and a few other horror/sci fi ggeks , this shouldnt appeal to anyone else.

WARNING! MASSIVE GLOATING AHEAD!

I nailed it. The Basic Box Office Rules prove their worth yet again. The FIRST rule on there: Never understimate the teen market. Resident Evil, despite being released in over 350 theaters less than Showtime, beat it out for second place. The teen market is not to be messed with; it is a force to be reckoned with.

Anyway, my gloating's done...for now. Here's the box offfice report: