Frodo -- Narrowly
25.00%
2 votes
Potter -- Barely
0%
0 votes
I have no idea
8 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Alright, simple question: who's gonna win? Harry Potter, or Frodo? Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone took in a couple million this weekend, I believe, and has over $310 million domestically. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring boasts a total of $258 million...$8 million of which came in this last weekend. Who's gonna win?

Some factors to consider:
  • Potter's already looking at around 7th or 8th place on the all-time list...so it's total is quite impressive.
  • Potter started HUGE, faded quickly, but then leveled out, and became fairly consistent. Frodo's been consistent throughout.
  • While both films may pick up an Oscar or two, Frodo has the edge in the awards department. LOTR: FOTR could see more millions trickling in during some form of re-release around February, when the Academy hands out it's Awards. Potter may grab one for effects, and may beat out Frodo for the Best Adapted Screenplay award, but I still think LOTR will receive more of a boost from the Oscars. It'll need to, I think, to have a chance...though it's only been out around 5 weeks, as opposed to around 9 or so for Potter, it's still around $50 million behind...and it's very, very long, and it's theater numbers could dwindle quickly from here on out.
Whatcha think? Vote in the poll above...who's gonna take the title as 2001's top grosser, seeing as how Shrek has been vanquished to third place?

I don't know about domestic box office gross.

But overall gross, world wide, including video sales, I think Frodo will be clearly on top.

I completely agree. Worldwide, Frodo's got this thing wrapped up. Potter passed something like $800 million worldwide recently, and is wrapping things up. DVD and video sales will be HUGE, but Frodo's sales in the same area will surely (at least nearly) match those...though my money would still be on Potter winning out in that area...kids videos always sell well.

Domestically, I just don't know. I chose Frodo, narrowly, but I'm not at all confident in that decision. It's just too dang long, and the only reason I see it even coming close is because it's got a couple more weeks left in it, and I suspect it'll take home a few Oscars, too.

See I think Frodo will kill in video sales.

The reason being is that kids often have siblings. So while both brother and sister paid for a movie ticket (and mom and dad and cousin sue) they only buy 1 copy of the movie.

Think of it like households, how many households saw Potter as compared to LOTR?

Also I think there were more repeat viewers for Potter than for FOTR.

So less overall households made up Potter's Gross than LOTR Gross. Since you only need 1 movie per household Potter will sell less videos.

Also, much like Star Wars, I think boxed sets of the LOTR trilogy will be huge.... but you won't see those for a few years yet.

Now With Moveable Parts
When I saw the title of this thread...I thought it was like, who would win in a fight, Frodo or Harry? I was thinkin'...pobably Frodo, because he had that magic, lightweight, thingie on, that Bilbo gave him...Hee-Hee!

I'm thinking turn invisible, sneak up behind Harry and carve him up with Sting.

It's looking like both Harry Potter and LOTR will pass the billion dollar mark worldwide, not too shabby!