Hi.

Tools    

Originally Posted by adidasss
ah, but sir, one does not necessarily exclude the other ( elevated discussion vs. more personalized contact that is )
Eventually, no. But it does at first. If a forum is overly open and inviting, it'll attract everyone. And while that sounds nice, we don't want everyone; we want movie lovers with something interesting to say. And maintaing a certain aloofness, and a feeling of exclusivity, helps to filter out potential members and leave more of the latter. I mean, here you are, after all, in spite of all that's happened: contributing to the discussion.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Eventually, no. But it does at first. If a forum is overly open and inviting, it'll attract everyone. And while that sounds nice, we don't want everyone; we want movie lovers with something interesting to say. And maintaing a certain aloofness, and a feeling of exclusivity, helps to filter out potential members and leave more of the latter. I mean, here you are, after all, in spite of all that's happened: contributing to the discussion.
i'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing. how many new quality members can you name that have joined in the past 6 months?

you know, and i digress a bit, but i find it interesting that a forum that is first on google ( if i'm not mistaken ) doesn't attract more retarded members....we get at least a half a dosen of those a week on the music forum. maybe movie fans are just a different breed of people compared to music fans. it's much easier to talk about music i think.

i'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing. how many new quality members can you name that have joined in the past 6 months?
Ford, Twain (just over 6 months, actually), and Xui Wan, I'd say, all qualify. Travis Bickle, too. That's not really the point, though, as quality members are always rare; the site is worth visiting when they've accumulated. I'd imagine many 6-month periods are going to be largely devoid of standout members.

Anyway, it's really just the classic tradeoff between quantity and quality, and given how many people tell me (unsolicited) how high the quality of discussion is here compared to other movie forums, I have to conclude that it's been a wise direction. Forums are a dime a dozen, and they need things to set them apart. This is what sets MoFo apart (among other things).

you know, and i digress a bit, but i find it interesting that a forum that is first on google ( if i'm not mistaken ) doesn't attract more retarded members....we get at least a half a dosen of those a week on the music forum. maybe movie fans are just a different breed of people compared to music fans. it's much easier to talk about music i think.
Yeah, I'd say that's probably true. Though obviously I believe our scrutiny of new members has something to do with it. If you're immature and just looking to sound off, you're probably not going to have the patience to endure whatever pseudo, implied initiation the MoFos have waiting for you.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
wow...well maybe you had the completely opposite experience with this forum, but that's exactly how it went down for me. i was treated like an outsider for a very long time, i would say much longer than on any other forum i've been on, and even though i hate to drag this up again, in my mind, people only took notice of me after that nasty fight i had with sammy and the subsequent dramatic exit and return. up until that point it was fairly difficult to get anyone to talk to me or comment on my posts.
I always thought you were a good guy from the get go, but then again you and I have fairly similar taste in movies (which isn't the same as the active tastes of most of the MoFos).

But as a side note; Longest. Introduction. Thread. Ever.

Originally Posted by OG-
I always thought you were a good guy from the get go, but then again you and I have fairly similar taste in movies (which isn't the same as the active tastes of most of the MoFos).

But as a side note; Longest. Introduction. Thread. Ever.
nope, that wacko eye avatar lady had the longest intro thread i believe....besides, digression is fun fun fun!!

oh, and i love you too OG!

Resident pain in the...
No offence, but you gusy talk more than me, lol.

I'm always getting wrong for being OT and posting to much, lol.

Samson got it right

I love Guinea pigs, had 4, now got 2

Chocolate and Goldie.

Yours ?

Simpsons movie July 27th 2007 WOOOO!

The Adventure Starts Here!
Demon ... My guinea pigs are fairly new to me. Got Murray in mid-February (he's about 4 months old now), and got Ajax from an animal shelter in late March (he's about 7 months old).

That's Murray in my avatar. Ajax is solid black. And he's the bully of the two.

I'm sorry to hear that you've lost two of your piggies.

I can point you to some VERY FRIENDLY guinea pig forums, where people TREAT YOU NICE ... if you want. [ducking from other members, ha ha ha!]

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by Austruck
I can point you to some VERY FRIENDLY guinea pig forums, where people TREAT YOU NICE ... if you want. [ducking from other members, ha ha ha!]

DEMON...WELCOME! (for the third time!)

(Ash, it was just a joke, eh? Honest! I started writing about the guinea pigs, and as soon as I started typing about the gp forums I realized the irony, given our thread here. And it just seemed really perversely funny.)

Me sowwy.

WELCOME TO MOFO!!!!!!!
MAY ALL YOUR POSTS BE AWESOME AND MAY I EXTEND THE RED CARPET TO YOUR ENTRANCE:

Originally Posted by 7thson
It is not like when a new person joins bells and whistles go off and fireworks explode and all the groundhogs come out of their holes (although this would be cool) .
Groundhogs, though they look queerly like overgrown guinea pigs..

(Ash, it was just a joke, eh? Honest! I started writing about the guinea pigs, and as soon as I started typing about the gp forums I realized the irony, given our thread here. And it just seemed really perversely funny.)

Me sowwy.
i know, silly lady!

Awww, no. They look nothing like my little Ajax:

He welcomes Demon too!

(That's MoFo member Gracie holding him -- the day we rescued him from the shelter.)

Ash ... whew!
just kiddins Austruck! you have deeply offended me!!!!

(not really!)

what a thread indeed. i think i spoke too much...oh well, first time for everything!

LOL, thanks, but that's now Gracie's four-poster bed. It was mine at her age, and my folks gave it to me for my own daughters when they were old enough. Addie has bunk beds in her room, and Gracie has the four-poster twin.