My Introduction

Tools    

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Evening!
Great, steal the word I use on introduction threads.....it'll take me all day to think of another word...

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by The Blister Exists
Great, steal the word I use on introduction threads.....it'll take me all day to think of another word...
Afternoon?

Morning?

Welcome to the site. I think you'll get along fine here. And for the record, I still enjoy Tombstone.

Originally Posted by IDigCereal
Welcome to the site. I think you'll get along fine here. And for the record, I still enjoy Tombstone.
Thank you, its good to know that out of my list there is atleast one good movie.

I must say, I don't believe I will be sticking around here for much longer. As nice as the greetings and welcomes were at first, now I'm just getting terribly offended with everyone's choice of words. I don't normally end up places where people's opinions are not respected. Which is how I feel mine are being treated at this moment.

To better explain. I gave a list of my favorite movies. With how often I watch movies and the fact that my collection consists of over 5,000. I cannot possibly list all of my actual favorites. I have no all-time favorite. So instead, off the top of my head, I listed ones from each genre. To show that I'm diverse when it comes to that and I'm open to almost every genre of film.

I showed car/racing movies, crime/police films, drama, action/adventure, comedy, children/disney/animated, foreign, western, classics, etc. There are many wonderful elder movies in each genre, though my dvd collection that is right next to me seems to have my newer movies. Hence why I listed those. The vibe I'm getting though, seems that the only 'good' movies around here are ones from before the 80's. I already explained that I'm not much for classics. I grew up without ever watching them. When I got slightly older I started watching alot of them and never really liked any of them. There are a select few that I enjoyed, though I haven't watched them since. I can say that they were well-written and performed. I can appreciate the art involved. Though its not my style.

People mention that I seem like the perfect mofo, so welcome. I am going to have to disagree. I do not believe my tastes fit in around here. Not only were my taste in movies not refined, but also my taste in authors.
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Regarding your favorites. Given what you've said, and the way you've said it, I expect this list of yours will be completely different one year from now. This forum is very good at opening people up to a whole slew of different styles. There may be dozens upon dozens of films that people will recommend that you've never heard of, and after seeing some of them, you will look at cinema in a whole new light. Maybe. I am speaking from personal experience and from what I've seen happen on this site time and time again.

Tombstone used to be one of my favorite westerns (I hated the genre too, for a long time), but now...I think it's a big pile of funky dung disguised with some great actors and cool narration. I look forward to seeing your cinematic pallet becoming more refined…no offence meant at all…trust me. It’s just exciting when a new fish comes along…an intelligent new fish…and getting to ‘watch’ them go gonzo over films like Men with Guns, Red River, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Dancer in the Dark, and Rashômon.
I know I was told that he meant no offence. Though I'm slightly offended yes. My cinematic pallet may not match yours, though that does not mean it is not refined. I enjoy the movies that I enjoy. You enjoy the ones that you do. This is my opinion and I don't see how my pallet isn't as good as yours because I appreciate different films than you do. I looked at the five movies you mentioned. I will not go 'gonzo' over any of them except maybe one. Only Rashômon sounded interesting to me because it actually fits in a genre I like, crime drama. I was seriously when I said I do not like westerns. So being part of a forum isn't going to make that change. Unlike most people I say I do not like movies from the experience of watching a whole slew of them. Not because I never bothered to give them a try because I 'think' I won't like them. No offence meant as I respect that you enjoy those films. I'm just saying that I don't want to sit around bored for a few hours to officially say that "I don't". I don't mind people suggesting movies to me. I love that. Even if I'm not going to watch it, I won't bag on it or say anything bad. Though when people nearly ridicule what I like in order to suggest other movies, is considered rude in my opinion. Say you don't like them. Give reasons why. Express your opinion. Then go ahead and mention some other movies. But I do not see one reason from -anyone- as to why they do not like the movies I mentioned. I would love to hear reasons why.
Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle V2.0
I hope you're willing to admit you're wrong.
I hope you were joking. As thats how I took the first post you made. I don't feel that I should have to defend the movies I like. If you don't like the movie -- Say Why. Otherwise don't tell me that I'm wrong for having my own opinion of it. If that was a joke, then good, ignore all this. If it wasn't then why would you say something like that to someone? How can someone's opinion be wrong because it doesn't match yours. Even if you express why you do not like a movie, that doesn't mean its going to change my opinion, but I will not accept saying that "I enjoy this movie." Someone else says, "That movie sucks." That is their opinion. I respect that. But when they start to say "You are wrong", its like excuse me? I'm not wrong, either are you for not liking it. But instead of posting that I'm wrong, post why you don't like it so I can even more appreciate why you don't. I posted why I like it. Why don't you?

I hope I haven't lost everyone in this post. The basis of what I'm trying to say is:

I would appreciate if everyone would express their own opinion without insulting mine (by saying I'm not refined or something to that nature), or if they have an opinion about a movie to say what it is without having me explain why I like a movie and then still say that I'm wrong.

Someone else mentioned that whether I like it or not my tastes in movies will change. Thats fine, I'm completely open to movies. I watch every single genre except for western. Though thats the point, I watch every genre, so my tastes won't change. I already have those tastes. I just haven't watched every single film in every single genre. I was also told the forums will open me to a whole slew of different styles. I suggest reading my first post. Look at all the different styles of the movies I listed. Then I ask, did you really mean to a whole slew of different styles of the older movies in each genre? Because I didn't list movies like Patton, or something? I listed Shrek because I think its hilarious and adorable.

In short, I don't feel I fit in here at all. So good day to everyone.

history *is* moralizing
some people don't recognize emoticons at the end of sentences..............

I think Fast & Furious was horrible because it used the hollywood equation to make money, not a movie.

Target Teens + Explosions + Hot Guy + Hot Girl + Current Trend (Imports) + Shiny Stuff + Bright Colors = Money

Don't waste your time lecturing me on how it's a business, cause that's crap. The Aviator did fine financially and it was a good movie. You can also save your comments about what makes a "good" movie. Everyone knows it's objective but if you were to put The Fast And The Furious next to The Seventh Seal it would be obvious which was better/good.

And, why wouldn't you want to defend movies you like. What kind of fairyland would that be were everyone just nodded in agreement because some people were sensitive?

"I'm completely open to movies."
"I watch every genre, so my taste won't change."
....Okay.

In short, I don't agree with anything you said. If you aren't able to defend, not even defend but explain why you like a movie, you're right, you probably wouldn't enjoy this place or any other forum where someone might ask, "Why?"

I do hope you decide to stay though because being that you write I'm sure you could turn out some interesting reviews.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

i have to say to an extent she has a point...i too feel like i don't really belong here, because i feel that most of you are much more into movies then i am ( suffice to look at the recommend/not recommend thread i made )....let's use a bad word here, i feel this forum is populated by elitists, i realize you have nothing to apologize for because you know so much about movies and you've seen thousands of them, but you can understand why i don't post so much....i would say this forum is sorta like a private club of movie geeks.....i like my movies, but obviously my knowledge of them is nowhere near yours and that makes me a tad uncomfortable....and a bit useless....
still..i'm sticking arround.....

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle V2.0
I think Fast & Furious was horrible because it used the hollywood equation to make money, not a movie.
i thought fast and the furious was a very fun movie ( well the first one, the second one was bull )...is there anything wrong with a fun adrenalin packed movie?

A system of cells interlinked
Well, I think you took things the wrong way. Hopefully you will come back and read this thread again before deciding the site really isn't for you. Although it is sometimes fun to just state ones opinion and leave it at that, some of the best discussions about film arise when people start counter-arguing points in a film.

First off, let me tell you about my first experiences with MoFo. MoFo was the first public board I ever really signed onto, as I had found them all to be rather odd/awkward/frustrating experiences. Flaming, disagreements, name-calling etc. all sort of turned me off from the medium. MoFo was the first one I had seen where most of the people seemed nice/interesting and of an age closer to my own. Still, I had a rough start.

I pretty much felt the same as you seem to right now. I would post some feelings/thoughts about a movie, and when the comments came under fire, I felt as if people I didn't even know were personally attacking me. I would react as such and friction began with a few members and an admin or two (although I immediately got gelled with some other members who didn't really comment on the films too much).

So I said to myself, "Well, I don't want to chatter on endlessly to my friends here at home about something they aren't as passionate about as I am, and here is a large group of people who are passionate about it, but they don't seem like my ideas/opinions about film, and seem to attack them."

How to handle this...What if I attempted to approach my ideas about film as maleable ideas that are just my current perceptions of the material, based on my knowledge of the medium at this time? I also knew that I had not ever really looked into the actual art of film craft at all (you may have, I hadn't), and wanted to possibly pick up some of that information. I decided to approach the site as a learning tool and attempted to stay away from any sort of "discussion" about the films I liked. Me being an opinionated chap, it wasn't exactly easy.

But! It worked, and I started to glean information about the art if filmmaking and about some films I hadn't been exposed to. All the while I was constantly approaching the boards with a "roll with the punches" attitude because, and you seem to be the same as many on this board, we were an opinionated bunch, and the comments do go a flying no matter what the discussion.

As with any large body of focused knowledge, my level of understanding started to change, whether I wanted it to or not. My tastes changed somewhat, but I still liked (and still do to this day) some of the films that I had taken flack for earlier, but it just didn't seem to matter anymore, as I was used to seeing people go off about pretty much ever film ever made. I found that no matter what the film, of in how high accliam it was held, it had it's detractors, and they were gonna tell us about it!! It started becoming part of the fun, because it just wasn't personal to me any more (although I still felt strongly about films I just separated it from the boards, and after to getting to know a lot of the folks on the board, who are all very different mind you, our opinions were part of the discussion, and the people separated from the ideas.

I am so glad I decided to stay around, because I have learned so much, and had my eyes opened to so much good film. I still get guff for liking ID4 and Tombstone myself, but I still watch them.

I also watch the Leone films, Kurosawa, Lean, Boyle, Juenet, Scorsese, Lynch, Gilliam, Besson and a host of other directors works that I would never have picked up and I would have missed so much if not for the folks on this board.

I guess what i am trying to say in this ramble, is that with a little internet armor on, this board can be a valuable source of knowledge and one can meet a variety of cool people (and yes, some not so cool people, but that comes with the territory), and have an overall rewarding experience. It just requires a certain amount of ideological distance. Oh, and your tastes will change, but that doesnt mean you have to stop liking what you like.

Rule #1 Roll with the punches

Rule #2 Throw a few punches every once in a while, to keep people rolling.

Rule #3 Have fun!

Hope you stick around, and keep watching Tombstone! Cause' that's just my game...

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by adidasss
i have to say to an extent she has a point...i too feel like i don't really belong here, because i feel that most of you are much more into movies then i am ( suffice to look at the recommend/not recommend thread i made )....let's use a bad word here, i feel this forum is populated by elitists, i realize you have nothing to apologize for because you know so much about movies and you've seen thousands of them, but you can understand why i don't post so much....i would say this forum is sorta like a private club of movie geeks.....i like my movies, but obviously my knowledge of them is nowhere near yours and that makes me a tad uncomfortable....and a bit useless....
I don't know, man. Take the stuff for what it is. If someone comes across as an elitist to you, grab some knowlege from their post and ignore the rest. Don't you hang around in the political threads most of the time anyway? No board is perfect, but this one is pretty damn good. Maybe it just doesn't work for some...

Amberlynn, I was going to leave a rather lengthy post, but Sedai somehow stole all of my ideas and published them without my permission. Damn that guy! Anywho, don't let any of the comments about your favorite movies get to you. Stay or not, debate or not, explain or not, change or not, it's entirely up to you. Just don't let any of this stuff bother you; that's my little bit of advice. You know, many of us here have movie taste that doesn't fit the "movie buff norm", so to speak. In fact, I find the movie taste here at MoFo to be VERY diverse. I like a lot of your faves, by the way.

Edit: Oh! Welcome to the site!

Originally Posted by Sedai
I don't know, man. Take the stuff for what it is. If someone comes across as an elitist to you, grab some knowlege from their post and ignore the rest. Don't you hang around in the political threads most of the time anyway? No board is perfect, but this one is pretty damn good. Maybe it just doesn't work for some...
acctualy i mostly hang arround in the recommend foreign movies thread....i also throw my two cents in the threads about recent movies i've seen (war of the worlds, batman begins etc., although noone notices them,they're not very meaningfull or analitical like most of your posts )
hehe...political threads, i guess i do, buit that sounds like i'm an activist or something.....
maybe one day i'll have something interesting to say......i've already made ( in my opinion ) and interesting point in the recommend foreign favs thread...i think that may be my only advantage on this forum, i may have watched certain european movies you guys haven't, lord knows i haven't watched much of the "classics" ( older movies....i just don't have acces to them, and i prefer newer production )....
as far as the recommend /don't recommend thread ( my pathetic attempt to make this forum work in my advantage )....i haven't heard of a single movie that was suggested and not one of them ( as i recall ) was made after 1990....so that means i'll never watch them unless they show them on tv....( my videostore is 2x2meters and has nothing older then 5 years, and i don't have the money to just order dvds on line, i save my money for the movies i absolutley adore )

Originally Posted by StormSiren
A few favorite movies of mine:
Tombstone, Harry Potter, Fast and the Furious, Gone in 60 Seconds, S.W.A.T, Assault on Precinct 13, Shrek, Braveheart, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Indiana Jones, The Birds, Psycho, The Out-of-Towners (old version and new), The Shining (old version and new), Rose Red, Full Metal Jacket, Sixth Sense, The Ring, Rain Man, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, etc etc.
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Regarding your favorites. Given what you've said, and the way you've said it, I expect this list of yours will be completely different one year from now.

It’s just exciting when a new fish comes along…an intelligent new fish…and getting to ‘watch’ them go gonzo over films like Men with Guns, Red River, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Dancer in the Dark, and Rashômon.

Thank you, its good to know that out of my list there is at least one good movie.
Who said all your choices were bad? Certainly not me. I quite enjoy the Harry Potter and Indiana Jones movies, Shrek, Braveheart, The Birds, Psycho, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Sixth Sense, Rain Man, and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

I must say, I don't believe I will be sticking around here for much longer. As nice as the greetings and welcomes were at first, now I'm just getting terribly offended with everyone's choice of words. I don't normally end up places where people's opinions are not respected. Which is how I feel mine are being treated at this moment.

To better explain. I gave a list of my favorite movies. With how often I watch movies and the fact that my collection consists of over 5,000. I cannot possibly list all of my actual favorites. I have no all-time favorite. So instead, off the top of my head, I listed ones from each genre. To show that I'm diverse when it comes to that and I'm open to almost every genre of film.

The vibe I'm getting though, seems that the only 'good' movies around here are ones from before the 80's.
Men with Guns and Dancer in the Dark were both made after the 80s had come and gone. That is not the popular consensus here at all. But the classics are liked for the most part.

People mention that I seem like the perfect mofo, so welcome. I am going to have to disagree. I do not believe my tastes fit in around here. Not only were my taste in movies not refined, but also my taste in authors.
I didn’t say your tastes were not refined. I did say that after time your tastes may become more refined. Hey…if you think you don’t need to broaden your horizons, then don’t. It’s no skin off my nose. And with the author’s…I didn’t say your taste sucks there either. I did say that King isn’t one of my favorites. You’re confusing my having differing opinions and likes as an insult to yours. I have read nearly every single Stephen King book ever written. There might be two I have missed. Most of his books I don’t care for a whole lot, then there are those that I absolutely cherish and adore…how is that an insult to you?

I know I was told that he meant no offence. Though I'm slightly offended yes. My cinematic pallet may not match yours, though that does not mean it is not refined.
Again…I didn’t say it wasn’t refined. Perhaps making sure what someone actually said before getting angry will help.

I enjoy the movies that I enjoy. You enjoy the ones that you do. This is my opinion and I don't see how my pallet isn't as good as yours because I appreciate different films than you do.
Again…I didn’t say that your pallet isn’t as good as mine. I didn’t say that anywhere. I didn’t allude to it or put you down in any way.

I looked at the five movies you mentioned. I will not go 'gonzo' over any of them except maybe one. Only Rashômon sounded interesting to me because it actually fits in a genre I like, crime drama…

…not because I never bothered to give them a try because I 'think' I won't like them.
Okay.

No offence meant as I respect that you enjoy those films. I'm just saying that I don't want to sit around bored for a few hours to officially say that "I don't". I don't mind people suggesting movies to me. I love that. Even if I'm not going to watch it, I won't bag on it or say anything bad.
Sounds like you’ve already made up your mind because you ‘think’ you won’t like them.

Though when people nearly ridicule what I like in order to suggest other movies, is considered rude in my opinion. Say you don't like them. Give reasons why. Express your opinion. Then go ahead and mention some other movies. But I do not see one reason from -anyone- as to why they do not like the movies I mentioned. I would love to hear reasons why.
I didn’t ridicule what you like, Amber. I chose one movie on your list to use as an example about how MY tastes changed. You are much, much, too eager to feel offended here.

If it wasn't then why would you say something like that to someone? How can someone's opinion be wrong because it doesn't match yours…
Again…I didn’t say you were wrong. Look at my opening quote at the top of this post. *sigh*

EDIT: Ah, I see you meant Pimp...he was being playful...hence the smilies.

But when they start to say "You are wrong", its like excuse me? I'm not wrong, either are you for not liking it. But instead of posting that I'm wrong, post why you don't like it so I can even more appreciate why you don't. I posted why I like it. Why don't you?
I said, “You are wrong!”? Where? I’m looking, but I don’t see it.

EDIT: See above.

I would appreciate if everyone would express their own opinion without insulting mine (by saying I'm not refined or something to that nature)…
Again…no one said you are not refined. No one.

I suggest reading my first post. Look at all the different styles of the movies I listed. Then I ask, did you really mean to a whole slew of different styles of the older movies in each genre? Because I didn't list movies like Patton, or something? I listed Shrek because I think its hilarious and adorable.
What I meant by styles is this: Have you ever seen a Werner Herzog film? He has a unique style that is all his own. He likes to make films that focus on characters who are gripped in a passion. He also rarely, if ever, uses special effects. He had to use hundreds of natives and a brave engineer in order to actually pull a 100+ ton ship over a mountain.

How about Vittorio De Sica? He made a couple of the most wonderful films ever made, and his style was Italian neo-realism.

Have you ever watched any Akira Kurosawa? How about Sam Peckinpah? Ingmar Bergman? John Sayles? Wes Anderson? There are so many directors from all the different eras out there that have unique vision and style, that you may or may not have been exposed to. That’s what I meant.

In short, I don't feel I fit in here at all. So good day to everyone.
Yeah…you fit in. You’re as touchy as the rest of us. Just don’t expect everyone to put on their kid gloves and play nice. A community will sometimes have its arguments, hurt feelings, and spilt milk. It’s up to you to decide whether you have a thick enough skin to handle it. If you don’t…well…Good Day.

Oh...Adidass: Most of my favorites now are movies that I hadn't even heard of when I first joined. My first post on this board was about Jay & Silent Bob...who I still think are the *****...but since then I've watched so many movies. Very few join a forum with a large database of knowledge. They join and learn...or don't. Stick around...it seems like people like you here.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child

Firstly let me say that I disagree with the term elitist, although I'm relatively new to this forum, I haven't come across any elitist dissaproval on my views.
One of the things I learnt from film school, is that different people have different perceptions to film, I always find it intresting when someone offers a different opinion or take on a movie from my own.
This is a site for movie lovers in all forms, from classic film junkies, specific genre buffs, european film addicts and so on.
Because someone doesn't agree with you DOESN'T mean your opinion is wrong, but similarly they are entitled to their opinion.
Take what you need from this forum, I have found it to be a great site personally and have used many recommendations already.
Don't be put off by what you percieve to be negative responses, I'm sure on the whole you will find more positives than negatives.
Film is similar to music, everyone has their own tastes, that's what makes forums like this intresting, if we all agreed on every film it would be pretty boring reading carbon copies of every review.
Your imput is as valueable as the next persons, stick around and don't take it too seriously.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I think instead of "elitist", you meant "knowledgeable". People have been very friendly to you, despite your somewhat abrasive initial posts. And you turn around and call them 'geeks' and 'elitists'??

As for StormSiren, I can see where some of the comments made could strike a newcomer as a bit off. The thing is though, people's taste does get refined as they interact with other people who are knowedgeable about any topic. If I made a top 10 list three years ago, I think the only thing that would still be on it after 3 years of movie forums would be The Princess Bride.

Exchanging ideas is going to mean trading the ones you have for new ones, by definition. If that's going to be threatening to you to the point where you have to lash out at people... grow up. It seems assumable that you found the site and signed up because you wanted to talk about movies, though. So why not talk about them already?

My life isn't written very well.
Let's face it guys; we're all just sitting on our asses in front of the computer when we know we should be doing something else.

LordSlaytan was only trying to generate a response from you, which he did and it was a good one. Sad to say, but you got upset and I'm sure that was not his intention. He certainly didn't mean to scare you away. Hopefully he won't take your response as an over-reaction. If you decide to stay friend, you will notice that we all have our own distinct personalities; we have just witnessed a bit of yours. It seems to me that you don't like having to explain yourself for things that you thought you made clear already--none of us do. But in a forum like this where with each post the topic gets a little less defined, it helps to have an attitude like yours (remember that because you have yet to meet Holden Pike and Silver Bullet).

It's hard to express yourself on a keyboard to someone you have never met, and emphasis or intention can sometimes become misunderstood. It's not in your choice of movies that we learn about you, it's in your choice of words.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?